• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Musky's twenty twelve

Well, I finally started my first 284 cells today. 3 days earlier than I planted last year.

Here is a list of what is planted so far:

1. 7 Pot Barrackpore (me) x11
2. 7 Pot Brain (me) x9
3. 7 Pot Douglah (me) x21
4. 7 Pot Douglah (HC) x4
5. 7 Pot Jonah (Sean) x5
6. 7 Pot Jonah (HC) x5
7. 7 Pot Primo (Sean) x6
8. 7 Pot Primo (Tonly) x4
9. 7 Pot Primo (Chris) x6
10. 7 Pot Red (me) x7
11. 7 Pot White (Sean) x7
12. 7 Pot Yellow (me) x12
13. Bhut Jolokia (MWCH) x6
14. Bhut Jolokia Chocolate (me) x14
15. Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon (me) x15
16. Bhut Jolokia Peach (Sean) x6
17. Bhut Jolokia Purple (Sean) x8
18. Chiltepin (RTF) x6
19. Datil (Datil Patch) x5
20. Dorset Naga (me) x12
21. Fatalii (me) x9
22. Manzano Orange (MWCH) x6
23. Manzano Orange (Nitwit) x6
24. Trinidad Scotch Bonnet (Trinidad) x12
25. Red Savina Hab (MWCH) x7
26. TS Butch T (Judy) x17
27. TS Butch T (Sean) x9
28. TS Red (me) x12
29. TS Chocolate (Chris) x9
30. TS Morouga Blend (Tonly) x9
31. TS Yellow (me) x9
32. White Bullet Hab (me) x6

I number each variety so I can just write the numbers on my tags, instead of writing all the full names and sources...

And yes, I will get some pics up tomorrow. :halo:

Thanks guys. It was -32F with the wind chill this morning, but it's a balmy 80F inside my grow room.

growroom2012007.jpg

I basically just boxed in my furnace and water heater with scrap wood and damaged sheet rock I had laying around. The door is covered with leftover greenhouse film so I can peek in there and check the temp.

growroom2012008.jpg

It's hard to get a good picture, but this is the inside. That's a water heater in the bottom left corner. The bottom shelf is my attempt at homemade lights. I bent the reflector from white aluminum coil stock, and the fixtures are exterior flood lights. It's 8' total, with 16 CFLs putting out 28000 lumens. I could always upgrade the bulbs to get some more light, but we'll see how it works. The top shelf is 4 bulb T8 fixtures. The middle shelf will probably get the same.

Here are a coulpe pics of the underside
growroom2012015.jpg

growroom2012012.jpg

growroom2012013.jpg

And this is an example of how I mark my plants

growroom2012011.jpg

I'm just starting to bring my overwinters back to life. This one is a Douglah.

Well, that's about it for now. I will try to keep my log updated better than last year.

Thanks for looking!

Dang! Those plants have a better room than my own!

Are you going to be able to adjust the height of the lights or plants?

Dang! Those plants have a better room than my own!

Are you going to be able to adjust the height of the lights or plants?

The top 2 shelves are/will be fully adjustable on chains. The bottom one is fixed. I can only adjust the floodlights themselves, so I'll just raise the plants if I have to. The floor is cold anyway.

Wow that's a metric f@#kton of pepper plants! I feel so inferior for only have ~40 superhot starts total! Good luck, I'll be watching too.

Wow that's a metric f@#kton of pepper plants! I feel so inferior for only have ~40 superhot starts total! Good luck, I'll be watching too.

Thanks guys. Hopefully I get good germ rates.

First official sprout of 2012 is an Orange Manzano! :woohoo: My camera is currently in Guatamala with my wife, so no pics for about a week. Hopefully the next pics will be of mostly full trays. :pray:

Thanks for looking!

Man, those lights look............ "Space-Age"...............especially in black and white.

Probably before your time but that lighting gizmo looks like a futuristic photo from the early 1960's "Popular Mechanics" mag..........now I know someone here can relate to that!

:cool: on :cool:

Greg

Haha yeah, I didn't even take the pics in black and white. They just turned out like that.

Time for a quick update. 211 seedlings as of now, which is 74% after 14 days. Not the best rates, but new ones are still popping every day.

You can't really see them, but here is 144 of them basking under the lights.
growroom001-1.jpg

The first ones to pop are putting out some true leaves.
growroom012.jpg

A pretty Purple Bhut
growroom009.jpg

This is the same Douglah today
growroom006.jpg

And this is all the overwinter plants. There is one Douglah, one Brain Strain, one Dorset Naga, one Chocolate Bhut, two Bhut Indian Carbons, and two Barrackpores. They seem to be waking up from their little nap, and putting out some nice new growth.
growroom007.jpg

The next round will be going in the dirt in about 10 days.

Thanks for looking!
:)

Quick update.

As of this mornining, 245 of 284 cells have popped after 17 days. Now I am officially happy with a 86% germ rate. I'm sure a few more will continue to pop as well.

These are some of the first ones that sprouted. Most of them already have roots coming out the bottom of the cells.
123011.jpg

I do things a bit differently than most. I use 2 cell trays for every 1 tray I grow, for a few reasons. I start out with a tray filled with starter mix under a dome for germinating. The other tray is under lights with no dome. Every day, I cut out the individual cells that have sprouted and place them in the tray under the lights. This way the sprouts get air and light as soon as they break the surface, and the ones that haven't popped yet stay moist and warm under the dome. In a perfect world, everything in a tray would sprout at the same time, but that just doesn't happen. Especially when growing several varieties in the same tray. Also, I'm not wasting precious room under my lights on empty cells. Some people will say this is just too much work, but it works great for me.

Here is an example of the trays under lights
123016.jpg

Here is one that just popped overnight, and is going to it's new home under the lights
123015.jpg

Thanks for looking, and have a great day! :beer:

Very nice Musky. Quite impressive!
This will be my first year growing and plan on having a space similar to yours if all goes as planned.

Back