• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

My Bhut Patch

Howdy

I just joined up here ...

I tried my hand at growing some Bhut Jolokia's from seeds this year ...

Been faced with super hot weather, aphids, whiteflies and yesterday ... two hornworms ... :censored:

But I do have some flowers this week and I'm hoping for the best ... :onfire:

Here's my babies ...

bhut1.jpg

bhut2.jpg

bhut3.jpg

:cheers:

Welcome to THP and the wonderful world of growing superhots. You've got a great looking set up there and I doubt if its much longer before it gets really hot in VA. Best of luck to you.

Thanks for the kind words ...

The seeds were started April 12 ... and planted in full sun June first.

I lost a few weeks growth when the aphids came ... and I used insecticidal soap which ended up burning alot of leaves. :violin: I followed the directions (did it in the evening, etc) ... but I guess it was just too hot here for too long a stretch of time ...

Oh well ... live and learn

Anyway ...

Those pots are ... 5 gal Smart Pots ... I like them alot ...

The log platform (we live in a log home) ... was originally a stage (I had a Hawaiian Steel Guitar Festival here a few years back) ... then it was used as a platform for my kids baby pool ... then it got too beat up and rotted, so I put a bunch of driveway gravel in/on top ... and thought I'd try a garden this year. :dance:

Welcome aboard, and yeah, that's a damn fine looking setup you've got.
Do those smart pots go beneath the gravel a few inches or are they just resting on top?

Nice looking patch considering all the set backs. What type of soil did you use? Seems like dirt in the buckets.

those pots look pretty interesting. Might have to pick up a couple to see how my next batch turns out.

The Smart Pots are just sittin' on the top of the gravel ...

As for the soil ... there's a pretty funny story about that ...

Short answer ... bulk 50% Shenandoah top soil and 50% compost ... bought at one of my wife's patient's nursery down the road.

Long answer ... The day I had planned to get the soil ... I took my wife and 5 kids (soon to be 6) to a new "wing" restaurant that opened up in nearby Winchester. When we walked in, there was a chalkboard that listed the "DOA" wing challenge winners ...

The top guy ate 21, then there was a 20 ... the it jumped down to 10. So I ordered two lbs (16 wings) ... to show off to my kids (we watch alot of Man v. Food) :crazy:

The sauce was some kinda of nasty extract ... super hot but foul tasting ... I ate 6 to get on the chalkboard (the minimum) and then figured I'd take the rest home ...

The waitress said they won't allow any to leave the building ... so I ate 6 more ... to put me in third place. :hell:

We left and started toward the nursery ... but I had to pull over ... those extract wings decided that were not gonna stay in my belly ... :sick:

We did manage to get the soil ... and I filled the pots that afternoon ... but it was tough ... :shame:

very healthy plants, they seemed to be thriving :)

Welcome to THP and 12 extract hot wings is no joke

very nice Bhut patch...good luck...just remember, Bhuts are very long season plants...

Looks great.

Lets see....:8 rows, 4 deep:.... :think:

Looks like 'ya got 32 plants. BHUT plants. Good luck with that. :mouthonfire:

Back