• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

My carnivorous plants [Pictures heavy]

Oh now I thought you were talking about heli. Flytraps need full sun and don't do well long term undear lights. And also require a dormancy.

And inexpensive would be aquarium and T-5ho lights off eBay. Can get a four foot four bulb for around 117 with bulbs. And then look Craig's list and yard sales for a 55 gallon long aquarium. Or build your own. As far as cooling goes. Its all make shift ATM. No commercially cooled ones yet. I can give more details later.

But as my experience. Fly traps take as much light as you can give them. And require winter dormancy. Can get away with min 6hrs full sun.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Heli you have to order. Wistuba has a distributer in Canada. And mind you his plants take some TLC to acclimate to your conditions. Not always the easiest.

Nice. Keep us posted with the new growth !Great !! These plants are magic, you will see :)
Heliamphora are my best genus ever.

I am curious why do you say magic and best genus ?

Also thank you for the advice on my aphid issue. I have the plant soaking in distilled water now. Completely submerged. Cut the flower stock. Who knew aphids were destructive to carnivores?

Thank you!
Hahah ironic :)

Yes heliamphoras are magic. These plants was isolated for million years on tepuys, so the evolution is very different. That place is also called the lost world. Jurassic park author takes his inspiration from that place. Of course, no dino up there but very ancient plants species. 

Thats why heliamphora are hard to find, very expensive and magic :)

Heliamphora minor var minor
Auyan tepuy
22288815480_864f44552e_o.jpg

FreeportBum said:
Around 70°F-72°F day around 62°F-64°F night 75%-90% humidity. Under 216 watts of T5 light. I would like to put these in the same mix you are using and have all the ingredients, have any tips or recommendations?  Should I repot? I have them sitting in a few MM of rain water. Watering through once a week with either rain water or distilled water. I have given them a little Great white shark mycor in the water. Also misted lightly twice with 1/4 tsp to 1 gallon water of organic fish/seaweed emulsion. 

Couple better pics from today- they have really put on some nice color and growth since I have had them.  Thanks for any help. Cheers
attachicon.gif
20160515_180029.jpg
attachicon.gif
20160515_180217.jpg
attachicon.gif
20160515_180224.jpg
attachicon.gif
20160515_180258.jpg
Yes its always a good thing repotting a new plant, in your own mix. For almost all my cps i use the same mix: 33/33/33 oak chunks/peat/perlite. Fert free, of course. In my opinion, try to avoid any fertilizer. Some growers have good results with weak doses in the pitchers, but its very easy to kill the plant. I wrote this a couple years ago: http://www.carnivorousplants.org/howto/Feeding/FeedingDBWSBS.php
Look at the bottom of the page for helis feeding.

Your growing conditions looks good. Your plants will tell you if they are happy !

Dont forget to keep us posted with pictures :)

Francois

Jb: amazing pictures bro ;)

HB do not sell any cephalotus or heliamphora :/

In fact, if you have no 'contact', you will have to order outside Canada, with all the legal papers(import permit, phyto cert, etc)

jb_orchidguy said:
bc5efa3e0bcbb7a9700196704d5e1274.jpg
91f0510c4f46c28a4918e3655385a7a5.jpg
998ad5641b42933b5cd41408c3d00d8d.jpg
cdadbebee197330f29ba54c839247869.jpg

This is N. (lowii x vietchii) x spectabilis
Love it because even the aged pitcher retain it stripes.
Awesome stuff you have been posting. I've been trying to win a couple nice nepenthes on eBay will no luck so far. I may add a couple to my order of heliamphora im about to order from wistuba. Cheers

FreeportBum said:
Awesome stuff you have been posting. I've been trying to win a couple nice nepenthes on eBay will no luck so far. I may add a couple to my order of heliamphora im about to order from wistuba. Cheers
Freeport. Keep in mind Wistuba plants need lots of TLC when you get them. I've lost many of his nepenthes. And I hear the heli are harder. Just remember to give them 99% humidity and work them down slowly.

Evey is not the best place to get CPs. If you're in the states try Cook's carnivorous plants. Dean Cook is fantastic and still reasonably priced. Then you have predatory plants And native exotics but those can be pricey sometimes. And then there is also getting permits and ordering straight from EP and BE. Believe it or not. The lowii x truncata of mine and the (lowii x vietchii) x spect were traded for or given to me. I had to nurse the (lowii x viechii) x spect back to health but it was worth it. Took over a year to get to pitchering like it is.

I have a couple extra (not to exciting) Nepenthes if you're interested in easy beginner plants. I think I can cut my Alata var boschiana mimic and a northiana cross. Like I said. Neither are too exciting but they are easy growers.

jb_orchidguy said:
Freeport. Keep in mind Wistuba plants need lots of TLC when you get them. I've lost many of his nepenthes. And I hear the heli are harder. Just remember to give them 99% humidity and work them down slowly.
Evey is not the best place to get CPs. If you're in the states try Cook's carnivorous plants. Dean Cook is fantastic and still reasonably priced. Then you have predatory plants And native exotics but those can be pricey sometimes. And then there is also getting permits and ordering straight from EP and BE. Believe it or not. The lowii x truncata of mine and the (lowii x vietchii) x spect were traded for or given to me. I had to nurse the (lowii x viechii) x spect back to health but it was worth it. Took over a year to get to pitchering like it is.
I have a couple extra (not to exciting) Nepenthes if you're interested in easy beginner plants. I think I can cut my Alata var boschiana mimic and a northiana cross. Like I said. Neither are too exciting but they are easy growers.
Thanks for the info I will check out the places you mention. Do you think it's easier to start with a couple smaller plants first? Wistuba has hamata clones for $50 I was considering getting a couple. I love the toothy pitchers, but I'm guessing the really showy varieties are the hardest to grow..lol

Any chance you have a pic of anything you have available? PM if you want. Thank you

Remember hamata is a highland plant and requires cool temps and 80+ humidity. An no smaller plants are harder to maintain till established. Its not extremely hard and if you give them what they need then they can be easy. I'm loosing a hamata right now and have no clue why. Sometimes these plants just up and die for no reason. Not saying these plants are hard persay. They just need special requirements to be happy. Some are more struck on their requirements than others.

And I'll PM you. I think I have a few pictures.

jb_orchidguy said:
Remember hamata is a highland plant and requires cool temps and 80+ humidity. An no smaller plants are harder to maintain till established. Its not extremely hard and if you give them what they need then they can be easy. I'm loosing a hamata right now and have no clue why. Sometimes these plants just up and die for no reason. Not saying these plants are hard persay. They just need special requirements to be happy. Some are more struck on their requirements than others.
And I'll PM you. I think I have a few pictures.
Thanks it's much appreciated. I would like to stick with highland varieties as I think I can replicate that here much easier then lowland. Winter will be really easy for me here in Maine.

Yeah I'm in SC. Gets difficult in the summer. But I'm making it work. These do well in terrariums too under t-5 HO lights till they outgrow the chamber.

My greenhouse is currently swinging from 100° days to 60° nights and so far so good. Everything is living it except for sibyanensis. And its known to be a picky thing anyway. Its growing but not pitchering. It likes high high humidity. At least this clone does.

Back