• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

my cheap diy led light box

This is a very clever idea Dave.....Don't know if I will try it for the fatalii comparison but I might give it a go in winter just for laughs

discounted LED xmas lights

Stop by your local menards. They are extremely inexpensive at this time and they have plenty left-overs.

the only problem is you don't get much selection cuz its whatever happens to be left. i had to go to three canadian tires before finding the little kind not in multi colours that wasn't solar powered

what is the dimensions you use

Davetaylor said:
here's my light box got all the materials from the site i'm working on, except the lights which are some christmas lights! A string of 80 total cost a tenner and about half an hour to build it

led1hi7.jpg

led2qd1.jpg

It's all part of my 'start some seeds really early and try to keep them going through the winter for a head start experiment' i need a snappier title but you get the idea
not sure i read it if you said, but how big is your board of lights? also how closely spaced are the lts? i'm thinking of making one, and incorporate the reds at the same time.
thx for any info.

know one realy knows how far apart they should be thats why every one is still experimenting with leds

Gary18 said:
know one realy knows how far apart they should be thats why every one is still experimenting with leds
K. I'll go with 2 inches. Menards did have some when I got there. 23' strand for $7.00.
Thx

i spaced them 20mm apart then when i added the second string (with some red leds) i placed them in the 4 rows inbetween the existing blues

Davetaylor said:
i spaced them 20mm apart then when i added the second string (with some red leds) i placed them in the 4 rows inbetween the existing blues
thank you. i'll be getting a sheet of plexiglass for my mounting.
i also discovered an old waterbed heater, that I'll rig for tray heat. should work out well. i also read where several have used a heating blanket; of course properly protected, should also work very well and "much" less expensive than the mats.

Davetaylor said:
ok, couldn't tell by the pic how long your board was. apparently yours is around 16". i'm just trying to figure out how many strings of lights to get to do around a 4' X 6' size. This give me a pretty good idea. Thank you.

i hope that everyone that is gonna dabble with led's will keep up all updated on what works and what don't. That way we can all benefit and reap the rewards of a cheap way to get a good head start on the next season by starting as soon as the old season ends.
I'll prob update my box for next year, hope you all have success

i still have to get around to putting it all together. i didn't have the right size drill bit so i had to go by one, then i was just a weeee bit off in my measuring so the darn things don't stay in their holes so i have to go buy a slightly samller bit and hope they'll then be able to fit in their holes. this is the kind of thing i used to be able to bat my eyelashes and then a burly man would do it for me. *sigh*

GrumpyBear said:
i still have to get around to putting it all together. i didn't have the right size drill bit so i had to go by one, then i was just a weeee bit off in my measuring so the darn things don't stay in their holes so i have to go buy a slightly samller bit and hope they'll then be able to fit in their holes. this is the kind of thing i used to be able to bat my eyelashes and then a burly man would do it for me. *sigh*

You had me at "eyelashes":oops:

lights, plexiglass, drillbit

Hi. Update on the lts....menards sku for blue is 284-0933, red is 284-0934. They are $7 a box and most likely are being put up in the rafters until next xmas. They might pull them down for you if you call ahead. I bought 18" X 24" plexiglass ($6 per sheet)and sharpied a grid for 2 strings of blue, and 1 red. yep, I drilled 420 holes last night. the drill bit for a "perfect" snug fit is 15/64. no need to post pictures...you get the picture. Going to get enought stuff for another 2 panels. I'll have 4 altogether. Again, thx for the good idea, Dave and I'll post what I do with this all, soon. Greg

week 10

week 9
wk9cd6.jpg

Week 10
wk10mh7.jpg

I think i might place them all on the bottom of the box so that they all get a better spread of light, as the one around the edges are turning in towards the light.
And could also do with stretching them out a bit as they are very very compact

great shots of the plants...they look very healthy and green...do you have any side shots of them?

not trying to hijack your thread but if you want to see side pics of my 5 week old seedlings last year, check out this..

http://www.thehotpepper.com/blog.php?b=56

They actually were growing too fast for the space I have and now looking at your stocky plants, I may have to make another grow box for LEDs

Back