• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking My first attempt at smoking meats...

scoville said:
One thing about Fla.it has been so humid the past 2 days walkin was like swimming,but in the space of a hour this afternoon,it was freakin'PERFECT!No humid,cooling off.Of course we haven't had a drop of rain in six weeks,till last nite.City water screwing my plants up royally!
I was in Largo last weekend,Hot sauce festival,beer line unbearable but I picked up a nice Congo plant.Another festival Sunday in St Pete,11:00 start time would be cuttin into kickoff a bit close...plus high entry fee...might make a quick strike though,there is a winghouse close to it.I'm bettin'sickmonts an iggles fan this week!

Where's the festival at in St Pete?

scoville said:
One thing about Fla.it has been so humid the past 2 days walkin was like swimming,but in the space of a hour this afternoon,it was freakin'PERFECT!No humid,cooling off.Of course we haven't had a drop of rain in six weeks,till last nite.City water screwing my plants up royally!
I was in Largo last weekend,Hot sauce festival,beer line unbearable but I picked up a nice Congo plant.Another festival Sunday in St Pete,11:00 start time would be cuttin into kickoff a bit close...plus high entry fee...might make a quick strike though,there is a winghouse close to it.I'm bettin'sickmonts an iggles fan this week!

Iggles? Eh...i can take 'em or leave 'em actually. It really depends on who they're playing against. And as for the humidity, finally it's starting to break again. It was really nice for those 2 or 3 days last week when it dried out and cooled down. Especially since i commute via mountain bike.

Best smoking I've done is with a friend's rig.

Take a 44 gallon oil drum, cut the ends off it. Cut a shoe-box sized opening in the bottom side - set your fire in it. Wire frames get fastened at various intervals, and wire oven trays sit on them.

Cover the top with a wet sack and get smoking.

We smoke fresh salmon, pork, beef, chicken, trout. Some veges.

The fire is just as important as the rub or the glaze (brown sugar on salmon is divine)

We use native New Zealand wood. Particularly manuka - which is sometmes called Tea Tree - the leaves make a good tea. Its a good flavoursome smoke which really works with meat.

Second Attempt.

Only have the finished product. Here you go!

DSCN1041.jpg

DSCN1043.jpg

Brokensea said:
Best smoking I've done is with a friend's rig.

Take a 44 gallon oil drum, cut the ends off it. Cut a shoe-box sized opening in the bottom side - set your fire in it. Wire frames get fastened at various intervals, and wire oven trays sit on them.

Cover the top with a wet sack and get smoking.

We smoke fresh salmon, pork, beef, chicken, trout. Some veges.

The fire is just as important as the rub or the glaze (brown sugar on salmon is divine)

We use native New Zealand wood. Particularly manuka - which is sometmes called Tea Tree - the leaves make a good tea. Its a good flavoursome smoke which really works with meat.

Awesome! I hope the barrel is clean though!;)

Brown sugar and cumin is amazing on salmon.

skealo said:
Second Attempt.

Only have the finished product. Here you go!

DSCN1041.jpg

DSCN1043.jpg

:(

Skealo, once you've gone to the brethren, the door is open, and they flood in!! I bought a Brinkmann offset, and I've signed up on about 8 dfferent bbq forums; http://www.azbarbeque.com, the smoke ring, smoking meat forum, and various state and region associations. Attended-not competed in!-my first KCBS sanctioned cookoff competition this past weekend just outside of Phoenix. ABTs-"atomic buffalo turds"-is the pet name for stuffed Jals, and a big favorite. I helped core some for that. I helped another team prepare the smoker, get the meat ready, etc. Pretty wild time. I've found that I need a bottle of Makers Mark around for emergencies!! That stuff is good!
dave

I signed up to Smoking Meats and BBQ Brethren awhile back. I browse mostly for ideas. I rarely post on either.

Love the info on them.

Back