• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

My first salsa

After trying some of Chuk Hell's delicious sauce awhile back, I decided to try my own hand at creating some.

Today, I made an apple/habanero salsa.

Ingredients:

2 small red apples
4 washed habs
2 oz. jose cuervo
1 small white onion
1 small tomato
a dash of fresh cilantro and a dash of lemon juice

I chopped everything up and tossed it in the food processor then made a fine puree.

Final Results:

The apple taste overpowers everything else but it's got a nice little kick to it, it's a decent salsa for my first try but I think it would make a better marinade.

I was getting burned out, plus real life is taking precedence over interweb life so I'm taking a break for awhile to recharge my batteries.

I think when I get off work tomorrow, I'm gonna swing by the store and buy some new ingredients to try again.

Chad said:
After trying some of Chuk Hell's delicious sauce awhile back, I decided to try my own hand at creating some.

Today, I made an apple/habanero salsa.

Ingredients:

2 small red apples
4 washed habs
2 oz. jose cuervo
1 small white onion
1 small tomato
a dash of fresh cilantro and a dash of lemon juice

I chopped everything up and tossed it in the food processor then made a fine puree.

Final Results:

The apple taste overpowers everything else but it's got a nice little kick to it, it's a decent salsa for my first try but I think it would make a better marinade.

Seems to me that you'd need more peppers in it.
But, what do i know?

I brought the salsa with me to work today, everyone who tried it enjoyed it but agreed that it was a bit too appley.

Chad said:
You think that's the secret? Ok, I'll give it a try :)

I really don't know. I'm just going by what most of the folks here on the forum say when it comes to the amount of peppers they use to make sauces and/or salsas.

One of these days i'll try my hand at sauce/salsa making.

Look at it this way:

Apples are pretty juicy... So, you could cut back on the apples and use the same amount of everything else.

Trust me. Trial and error is the best part. Once you get exactly what you want... awww....pure bliss!

Hey Chad.......you say cowtown....like the real cowtown? (Ft Worth)...if so howdy neighbor....I am also from Fort Worth...

I agree with the majority and think cutting back on the apple would do it. I'm quite fond of apples also so think I will try making a batch of this myself.

I am a bit more traditional as far as salsas....now for a sauce for pork chops or fish......hmmmm....

I make salsa from habs, garlic, tomatoes, onions and salt. People can't get enough of it.

Back