• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil My first season mixing my own soil

So I made a lot of compost since last season and I figured I would try my hand at making my own soil instead of buying it thanks to Pepper-Guru telling me this in the past. ;)
I potted a couple of peppers the other day that were big enough to transplant and am curious as to how they do.
I have one of those large plastic scoops like you see in the bins in a feed store so I mixed 10 scoops of homemade compost, 6 scoops of sphagnum peat moss and 2 scoops of perlite. Does this sound like a good mix from those of you who have mixed their own soil?
My compost is mainly yard trimmings from the lemon tree, rose branches and various plants around the yard as well as leaves and occasional kitchen scraps of vegetables and fruits as well as coffee grounds. There are no nutrients added as I am going to water and foliar feed with compost tea made from the compost pile along with worm castings from my bin. Suggestions and comments welcome.

Thanks

I would swap the peat and compost ratios and do more like 10 scoops peat. 5-7 compost based on feel and one maybe 2 max perlite.

I originally had more peat than compost but it looked too light like seed starting soil. My compost has a lot of carbon in it so its pretty light after screening it.

Weight isnt the issue.  Pick up a handful and squeeze it really hard together.  Does is then break apart easily?  

Proud Marine Dad plant looks fine! What's the size of the pot?

millworkman said:
Weight isnt the issue.  Pick up a handful and squeeze it really hard together.  Does is then break apart easily?  
can you explain more please? What if it doesn't break apart easily? Not worthy? How can it be fixed?
(ok, that's 4 questions at once! new personal record :P )

locopao said:
Proud Marine Dad plant looks fine! What's the size of the pot?

can you explain more please? What if it doesn't break apart easily? Not worthy? How can it be fixed?
(ok, that's 4 questions at once! new personal record :P )

If it doesnt break apart easily that is a sign that compaction can happen.  Compaction is bad and will prevent roots from growing to their full potential no matter how rich the mix is since they will have very little air flow.  Roots need air to live and a tight packed soil/container mix doesnt allow air in.  You could have a gravel mix that weighs a ton but breaks apart easily which allows air and water and nutrients to reach the roots easier which allows roots to grow.  You could also have the richest soil imaginable but compacts down and does not let air in and plants stay small without a significant root structure.  Usually adding an aerator such as perlite or vermiculite fixes it but I like to use peat and perlite to correct.    Did that help?

Proud Marine Dad said:
Locopao, that is a 5 gallon nursery pot which is really about 4 gallons.

Thanks!

millworkman said:

If it doesnt break apart easily that is a sign that compaction can happen.  Compaction is bad and will prevent roots from growing to their full potential no matter how rich the mix is since they will have very little air flow.  Roots need air to live and a tight packed soil/container mix doesnt allow air in.  You could have a gravel mix that weighs a ton but breaks apart easily which allows air and water and nutrients to reach the roots easier which allows roots to grow.  You could also have the richest soil imaginable but compacts down and does not let air in and plants stay small without a significant root structure.  Usually adding an aerator such as perlite or vermiculite fixes it but I like to use peat and perlite to correct.    Did that help?

Yep, your answer was more than helpful. Thanks!

I made my own mix this year to try to save money.  I used 15% peat, 15% composted pine bark fines, 20% perlite, and 50% compost.  The mix is nice and light and doesn't compact.  However, my plants aren't doing well in it.  They are stunted and their leaves are all pretty much light green.  I'm thinking I may have ph issues, but not sure.  I just sent off a sample to my county cooperative extension to be tested but won't know anything for up to 3 weeks.  My advice for you is to go ahead and get your mix tested.  I should have done it before I potted my plants up into it.  I will definitely do it next season.

Edit:  I did do a home ph test with a cheapo kit and it said my PH was ~7.5.  I'm not too trusting of the cheapo kits, but 7.5 is a bit alarming.  That's what prompted me to send a sample to my local coop extension.  It only cost me $10 to get the test done, so I'm going be sure to do that each year from now on, just to give me some peace of mind, and of course, direction.

I will water mine with pH adjusted water to 7.0 and do a runoff pH test with my General Hydroponics pH Up/Down kit and see. Keep us informed.
Could it be the pine bark? I know pine can be bad for plants if its not composted thoroughly. Do you think that could be the problem?

Proud Marine Dad said:
I will water mine with pH adjusted water to 7.0 and do a runoff pH test with my General Hydroponics pH Up/Down kit and see. Keep us informed.
Could it be the pine bark? I know pine can be bad for plants if its not composted thoroughly. Do you think that could be the problem?

Unsure ATM.  This stuff is pretty well composted though.

I am wondering about my potting mix now. The two plants in 5 gallon containers feel heavy and they have not been watered in over a week.
I am wondering if I should re-pot them with more peat and less compost or add something else or is it normal to have so much water retention since only peat and compost are the "soil" ingredients?

Anything you can add Rich? You grow in homemade compost as well, what do you suggest?

They are drooping at the top but I am not sure if that is because of being in full sun or what.
It's only about 80 degrees here today so I wouldn't think that heat is causing it.
Beginning to wonder if I need to add any nutrients or is the compost enough nutrition for them at this point.

so they are still going south?

does it look like a "life-threatening" condition? if yes, any chance to:

- make a couple of good pics
- eventually (second step) pull one to look at the roots?

I doubt you are having nute' problems - there should just be too many nutes in the plant to react that fast ...

good luck
Al

Not life threatening Al. The Kung Pao especially was drooping at the top growth but I think it was just the plant reacting to the warm sunlight as many do when the sun is very warm.

Back