• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

drying My first try at Elk Jerky

Just wanted to let everyone know I had my first go at this-- I got a whole leg from a friend who hunts, probably weighed about 15 lbs. total. Deboning it and trimming it was a hell of a job!
I took about 3 lbs. of the trimmed strips of meat, marinated it 24 hrs:
1 tsp. instacure
onion powder
garlic powder
salt and pepper
soy sauce
worcestershire sauce
beer
my own smoked habaneros, ground fine,

After trimming the meat is very lean. Very tasty jerky, and pretty damn hot, too. It is a bit chewy, probably because of my lack of butchering skills!
Peace!

nice recipe Casey, just watch your Instacure dosage, recommended maximum is 1/4 ts per pound of meat - it is strongly recommended you do not exceed this amount.

Sickmont said:
You like that Excalibur? I've been thinking about picking up one?

I have a 4 tray Excalibur, I love it ! I have been making deer jerky for many years in it. Try the the American Harvest brand jerky cure at Wally world. Marinate it the night before in your favorite liquid.

I dry peppers in it as well.

My .02

Sickmont said:
You like that Excalibur? I've been thinking about picking up one?

It is worth the money, for sure. If I had to make a complaint, it would be that it's a bit noisy, it sounds kinda like having your oven hood exhaust fan running on high. But believe me, you get used to it!

Instacure

chilliman64 said:
nice recipe Casey, just watch your Instacure dosage, recommended maximum is 1/4 ts per pound of meat - it is strongly recommended you do not exceed this amount.

Thanks, man. According to the "Great Sausage Making" book by Rytek Kutas, (Everyone should have this book!)- one LEVEL tsp. per three pounds of meat is sufficient. I use the instacure that is on a salt carrier- is that what you use?

I use the pink instacure also.

I recently bought the third edition of Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas. it was revised and republished this year. on page 36 it says "2 level teaspoons will cure 10 lbs. of sausage".

I bought a tub of cure #1 (they call it All Purpose Cure) from thesausagesource.com, their recommended dosage is "use 1 level 1/4 teaspoon of cure for each pound of meat". the same dosage is recommended by LEM in their Backwoods Jerky Seasoning cure packets. these are both sodium nitrite (6.25%) in a pink salt carrier.

the choice is yours but I would hate to think that I didn't try to convince you to cut back a little, esp if you got ill. I suppose it depends how often you eat your own cured meat products. if you do so daily then it may pay to check your mix. if you eat it infrequently then I guess it may not matter...

Back