beer My Homebrews

The sweetest wort would in theory be at the bottom, but it doesn't work that way.

Yes a hydrometer makes the difference. In England (cause cask is a special discipline) we had ten separate hydrometers that measured a. 10 range each. Cost about 150 bucks a go.

I hate working in plato (I wouldn't even home brew with it) a few months ago I f**ked up a brew. 1000 litres. Why? Cause the hydrometer was dirty. I'm soaking them in chlorine now and rinsing before the reading (used to do in England All the time - took a long time to persuade my boss to buy bleach!) my reading was 3 plato off, luckily realised before the bittering hops, otherwise it would have been a mess.
Went from a black ipa to a dark Ale cause of a grotty hydrometer.

Yeah, I am not sure how to manually do that, but I used this calculator http://www.rooftopbrew.net/abv.php. ... the number doesn't change much... I still feel my reading was just not accurate.

A couple weeks ago my girlfriend brewed a dunkelweizen that was only supposed to be 1.052 and when I took a gravity reading after bringing the level up to 5 gallons it too read way high. Like 1.65... but again no way could that have been accurate.

I'm bout to give up on gravity readings. What the hell do I need to get an accurate reading?

thinking about it, you could have geen given DME and grain with a higher SG than you were planning with. I have seen DME in a range of 1.038 to 1.045 for the same type and if you got a better conversion on your grains then that would account for it. Honestly I think I'd trust your Hydrometer more than a program.

I do want that. And have thought long and hard.. BUT I have no kegging system. Or even if I did I have nothing to keep em chilled in either.

For now I'm bound to the bottles I think.

I only have plastic fermenters so I'm thinking a 6.5 and maybe a 5 gallon glass carboy. With the left over money, either more ingredients or a bottling tree, cause anything that makes bottling suck less I'm all for.

Still undecided though

Well youngins, and oldins. I started another batch O' beer. After loosing my last batch, I have now completely run out of homebrew. I don't want to run out anymore, so its time to get a pipeline going. First up is Me Irish Stout. Brew day was 1/9. 16 hours after pitching this was chuggin away like a mo' fo'

Fermentables - 6.6lbs Briess Golden Light DME

Hops - called for .75oz Nugget 12% (60 mins) but the Nugget pellets I have were 14.8% so I cut it down from 21 grams to 19 grams. No clue if this was enough to make a difference, but its what I tried.
and 1oz Fuggles (30 mins)

Yeast - Wyeast WLP004 Irish Ale - Pitched straight, no starter.

5 Gal 1.054 OG

Chillin at 68F

stout.JPG

Up next Imma brew an Irish Red, that I am going to attempt doing my first starter. I'm tired of under attenuated beer like my last couple batches.

The sweetest wort would in theory be at the bottom, but it doesn't work that way.

Yes a hydrometer makes the difference. In England (cause cask is a special discipline) we had ten separate hydrometers that measured a. 10 range each. Cost about 150 bucks a go.

I hate working in plato (I wouldn't even home brew with it) a few months ago I f**ked up a brew. 1000 litres. Why? Cause the hydrometer was dirty. I'm soaking them in chlorine now and rinsing before the reading (used to do in England All the time - took a long time to persuade my boss to buy bleach!) my reading was 3 plato off, luckily realised before the bittering hops, otherwise it would have been a mess.
Went from a black ipa to a dark Ale cause of a grotty hydrometer.

just read this

i cant stand using gravity readings in anything else other than plato

they just arent specific enough, no pun intended

knock out all your CO2 with octanol, get a variable temp hydrometer from a 0-8.5P scale, 7-16P scale, and 15-24P scale, and you are golden, i pick them up from Nova Tech industries for 42 dollars a piece

Interesante... I understand none of that plato.

Anyway, I did up my first starter today to be ready to pitch for tomorrows brew day of the Irish red. Hope I did it ok. I used 1500ml water and 150grams DME. Boiled 10 minutes, cooled, and pitched. I just have been shaking the starter every hour or whenever I think about it. Hopefully I will have enough cells to properly attenuate this batch.

Untill tomorrow......
yeast starter.JPG

Love flea markets, never know what your going to find. But I always have my eye open for that 59 Vette I want to own some day.

Yeah I like going to the flea market. You never know what you will find. I'm always lookin out for beer stuff. Someone was selling a 3 gallon carboy also, but for 30 beans! Screw that noise, I could get it brand new for cheaper.

Back