beer My Homebrews

OHHHH YEAHH

Boddle day yo. Been drinkin all dayness long.

Irish Red getting bottled
mebottling.jpg

Thas a whole lotta drankin goin on
bottles.jpg

Brew day Sunday. BUDOW. trigs

Going to attempt a recipe for a Bell's Oberon clone

Wheeeeebz... ya out there? Ya know anything about that there beer. This is wud I have so far.... no wait. look at this link.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/34893/oberon-clone

Tryin something different with partial mash. Or at least thats what I gather it'll be using the munich malt.

Did ya click on the recipe link, besides the fact I am not going to harvest the actual bells yeast from their bottles, does that shit even look close?

i've seen a few different recipes, and mostly are for all grain so I tried to convert it to extract best I could.

Actually it appears that link does not work....

I'll just put it here

Batch size 5 gallons
Boil size 3 gallons
OG 1.058
FG 1.016
ABV 5.56%
IBU 24.27 (too much?)
SRM 6.17

Fermentables

3 lb Dry Malt Extract - Wheat - (late addition) 42 3 39.1%
6 oz Dry Malt Extract - Wheat - (late addition) 42 3 4.9%
3.3 lb Dry Malt Extract - Extra Light 42 2.5 43%
10 oz American - Munich - Light 10L 33 10 8.1%
6 oz American - Caramel / Crystal 40L 34 40 4.9%
7.68 lb Total

Hops

Amount Variety Time AA IBU Type Use
0.75 oz Domestic Hallertau 60 min 3.9 11.11 Pellet Boil
0.75 oz Domestic Hallertau 30 min 3.9 8.54 Pellet Boil
0.5 oz Saaz 15 min 3.5 3.3 Pellet Boil
0.5 oz Saaz 5 min 3.5 1.32 Pellet Boil
1 oz Cascade 7 days 7 Pellet Dry Hop

Mash Steps
Amount Description Type Temp Time
1.5 qt Sparge 155 F

White Labs - American Hefeweizen Ale Yeast WLP320

I don't know if I need to convert the munich, but my plan was to steep it with the specialty grains in 155F water for 45 mins, drain through a colander and rinse with 1.5qts of 170F water

hope i dont get thirsty in clearwater :think:

Stay away from my stash!

No for real though, they won't be ready for a couple weeks, but I do have some other Irish ale brews to be drank. Next time your down, we'll have one or 8.

sounds about right

if i remember, bells uses the Cry Havoc yeast strain

Ok, I think I'll give the Cry havoc a shot then.

One thing I wonder though, Oberon definitely has an orangey, citrus flavor and I read that supposedly they do not add any flavors/spices to the brew, so I assume this flavor comes stricktly from the yeast esters and what have you.... You think fermenting at 68 degrees would achieve this?

Cool. Thanks, I'll do just that... If I can make it to the homebrew store in time, sunday its goin down.

Wheebz, have fun with the rest of your fish this weekend. Don't swim too deep. They bite.

I brewed yesterday. My homebrew store doesn't carry Cry Havoc, so I just went with Wyeast american hefe 1010... I'm thinkin this will be a far cry from an oberon clone. It'll just be oberon-esque... Also the method I used due to using munich malt, I don't know if I got conversion from the munich or if I just loaded a bunch of starch into my wort. The water dripping from the grains was sweet, so maybe?

OG was 1.060, and my target was supposed to be 1.055 so I'm coo with that.

I don't want to brew all extract anymore. I may start doing stove top partial mash or even skipping that step and I'm thinkin of slowly starting to build my way up to an all grain set up.... I want more control!

Of course that all cost money though... Good thing money is no object to me.

For my first Partial mash I did what's call a Brew in a Bag and it worked out pretty good. Since it was my VERY first brew I left out the Sparg or I'd have hit better numbers but the beer came out as a top notch English Brown Ale. Wheebz got to sample it when he was down at Frydad's. The nice thing about is you dont need any additional equipment but a good sice grain bag to go inot your brew pot. Google it for more details.

Yeah, I have actually been looking into that. I'm thinkin next time I'll do just that... I'm torn between a few different ways to upgrade how I brew. As in if I should start PM brewing, full boil extract, or just stay as is and slowly pick away at an AG set up.

How big is your kettle? Mine is only 16qt and I don't think it could handle very much grains. Maybe a couple pounds or so safetly between the grains and water.

For my first Partial mash I did what's call a Brew in a Bag and it worked out pretty good. Since it was my VERY first brew I left out the Sparg or I'd have hit better numbers but the beer came out as a top notch English Brown Ale. Wheebz got to sample it when he was down at Frydad's. The nice thing about is you dont need any additional equipment but a good sice grain bag to go inot your brew pot. Google it for more details.
BIAB is a good step up from extract. For me its has been a good 8 batches since I've switched. Your efficiency suffers a little but can be improved ( they say ) by using a little more grain vs the recipe, but to me seems like your chasing your tail.
I still may build a mash tun when I get tired of using too much grain! If grain prices skyrocket like everything else I may consider it. For now I have plenty.

I actually have a 5 gallon and a 3 gallon so it's a simple matter of mashing in one, pouring off the wort and the sparging the grain bag. I'll eventually get a tun though or a brew sled :)

Good deal. I think next brew I'll do the brewing in a bag PM method. I'll just try to find a recipe with a smaller grain bill. Or buy a bigger kettle.

Brewed up a northern english brown yesterday.

The stout is like 5 weeks old in bottles at this point and I think its peaked. Its well balanced, but definitely had some fermentation issues most likely due to temp swings. Its an OK beer.

My strong red ale came out really good. Next time i'll up the bittering and flavor hops a touch to compensate for the higher alcohol content. Its pretty dry, which I like. Might be some fermentation issues with this one as well. But its only slight.

Best beer I brewered as of yet is my american amber ale I bottled a week ago. Its delicious. I had one yesterday to see how it's coming along, soo good. very clean. I had no temp flux. kept it at 67F for 14 days.

kept it at 67F for 14 days.
HTH I say you've nailed it. Being in Florida I'll bet its chore to keep your temps down. I have the opposite, when its cold here I place my Carboys in the kitchen( covered of course ) to keep ferm temps up.

I've seen some home brewers put their Carboys in a bucket of water to keep temps from fluctuating so fast.

Yeah its a constant battle. I use an oversized insulated cooler as my fermenation chamber, so it does hold a temp pretty decently even when the ambient temp is changing.... Its a pain in the ass, but its not as much so as using swamp cooler method.

Though I do not care for Larry Bell all that much Oberon is a fantastic beer. I hope your brew comes out kickass HtH.

And thanks again to THP - I just stumbled across a whole new section of the forums that I'll be looking through for the next 90 hours...

:)

Good lord this amber ale is good.. at least for my standards and compared to the shit I brewed prior. Its week 3 in bottles. shit is good. Clean. Easy drinking and not much sweetness. Forward malts with out being too malty. Hop bitterness blending with the carbonation and alcohol, barely standing out.

I want chik n wings.... soooo good the water.

My cider has cleared. it sat in primary for 1 month, and then I racked it over to secondary for one month. Today I took an FG and little taste >=)
DSCN4840.JPG

I took an FG and had my first taste. Not bad! A little harsh from alchy. Some what dry. A little tart. I'll enjoy drinkin that hell out of this.

OG 1.072

FG .999

That's about 9.7% abv :drunk:

Today I am going to bottle. I'm shooting for about 2.5 vols of CO2. I won't lie. I'm stll scared of bombs. It seems to be not that uncommon with cider. Guess we'll see what happens.

Back