beer My Homebrews

I had my first attempt at yeast harvesting and washing. I hope I got it clean enough. Still looks like its on some trub.
DSCN5320.JPG

DSCN5322.JPG

The yeast is a Belgian yeast from a Belgian pale ale I just bottled.

Hmmm what Belgian beer should I brew next??

nah, you can rock one out in a month

10 days fermentation, 21 days cold storage, transfer and carbonate, done and done

The cold storage is the issue. I have no way to chill it in bulk. So I'd have to bottle it prior to chilling (no kegging system).

So what I was thinking was ferment for the 10 days or so, transfer to secondary, and let it sit for a month (room temp 73-77 degrees)  then bottle it and once carbed chill in the fridge for as long as I can stand.

Is the initial cold storage for the purpose of getting the yeast to flocculate?

O'rite, today was my second AG brew day. Irish ale. I over shot my numbers this time! Not a bad thing. Just have to note that for next time.

One dumbass thing I did was leave the valve open while pouring in my sparge water! Goddamn it.

If I am calculating my efficiency correctly using a standard hydrometer calibrated to 60 degrees I measured 7 gallon pre-boil gravity at 1.032 at 145 degrees F. I'm not sure these type of hydrometers can even accurately measure at that high of a temp but with the temp correction I get - 1.049. Target pre-boil OG  was 1.046

Post boil OG = 1.062

Target OG =    1.057

efficiency = 73-74% I set up my brewing software for 68% so wooooo!

IrishAle Brew Day 060913.JPG

It was 178 degrees outside today. I'm beat.

Try to refrigerate a tube to get the temps down to check gravity next time. Or get a refractometer. They are only like 12 bucks and you just put a drop onto the sight glass, so it cools immediately. The temp adjustment calculations aren't that reliable. All grain FTW!

RocketMan said:
Did that windshield come with the burner or did you fine it separately somewhere?

No, it didn't come with it.  I had to fabricate it out of ducting. Its not 100%, but much more efficient than it was with an open flame.

As for the refractometer, I'm thinkin in the near future I will get one, and use my hydrometer for the FGs and what not.

Today's project.... Stir plate!
stirbar.JPG

So happy will be the yeast

Hell yeah. I'll take the savings anywhere i can get it.

I made a starter last night and um. yeah. the stir plate wasn't strong enough to move the thick wort and yeast... worked great on water.

so yeah. back to z drawing board.

Back