• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking My Old faithful charcoal bbq - Does anyone get sentimental about their's?

Hello all,

I guess I should say a bit about my Old faithful......its a no name kettle bbq kinda one.  I have had alot of fun trying out new things with it, especially within the last few months/years trying out the smoking side of things, and Yep its seen better days given that I have to level it with a small rock under one leg :P  But one cool thing I have found it fits the charcoal baskets yay.

But I guess thats my thing, do you stick to the old faithful?  It has served me well,  I suppose many people have asked the same thing before I am guessing.  I would love the top end weber's but $$$ phew so I guess thats why........

A few months ago I got a Smokey Joe yep alot smaller but good for not as big stuff going on the bbq.  I think I saw in the US that they have the Smokey Joe Jumbo, which I would have loved to have  but was unavailable where I bought my smokey joe.

I am happy to hear any thoughts or ideas about webers and if like mine like if it aint broke.... except for the leg that needs a rock under it to level :P

Thankyou all for your time

As one guy calls his "OLD RUSTY",NEVER GET RID OF OLD FAITHFUL!

Burn it through before even considering getting rid of it.
When the legs give out take them off.
A few cinder blocks under it makes a great picnic table Q.
Hibachi style.

It is what you learned on,what you know etc.

New toys are cool,don't forget the old farts. LOL

Old faithful deserves a BBQ death-get burnt through from ashes eating out the firebox area.

I use my old water smokers for garlic bread,keeping stuff warm or whatever.

Rusted through or burnt through are the only way I toss out an old smoker or Q.

My old faithful is a Lodge Sportsman Grill which is an old cast iron hibachi style. 

I can burn any thang in it.

I don't use it much as a grill anymore but not too long ago I got a cast iron griddle/plancha that fits perfectly on top.

I love it looooong time. 

Its perfect for cooking teppenyaki style for one or 2 persons.

Smokemaster Very cool advice and much appreciated.  I am going to keep my old faithful and continue on with it..... 
Like you say its what I learned on, and what I know.  It has some flaws but it still does the job so thats what matters hey.

Texas blues thankyou for your info about your old faithful Lodge sportsman hibachi style grill.  I think I know the ones you mean cast iron with the lift off top grill bit and you can adjust the vent at the front.  I watched a few vids on them a while ago and they do look great.

Best wishes to all

Still burning meat on the old Weber 22.5. See no need to change.  Clean it out once in awhile, get a set of new grates, and press.  Might add an offset smoker if I can find one I can afford, but the Weber ain't going anywhere.  I don't think it's possible to burn through one.  I know guys who are still cooking on 1970 model Weber kettles.

Go over to the BBQ Bretheren forum and check out the thread on Weber appreciation...
VR,
Harold

Hi -

I love Weber. I learned how to BBQ on a Weber - even have cooked a packer brisket on it. I love the kettle for cut up chicken - hot charcoals and 1 hour over the fire and delicious!

I also have the "Q" and it's perfect for steaks.

Now, I have the 22.5 WSM for smoking. I did a brisket to break it in yesterday and it was perfect!

You can't beat the Weber.

Nulle said:
I don't know if you have anything like http://grillbutikken.dk/smokere-og-tilbehor-/11-mini-smokeren in the US but it can give you a lot more room in your Smokey Joe and then please keep Old Faithful :P

Thanks for that info Nulle, I have seen something similar before but in bigger sizes, but it certainly looks cool.  Worth looking into.  I am certainly keeping Old Faithful too :)

Bob_B said:
Hi -

I love Weber. I learned how to BBQ on a Weber - even have cooked a packer brisket on it. I love the kettle for cut up chicken - hot charcoals and 1 hour over the fire and delicious!

I also have the "Q" and it's perfect for steaks.

Now, I have the 22.5 WSM for smoking. I did a brisket to break it in yesterday and it was perfect!

You can't beat the Weber.

Cool thanks Bob for your info, aha Weber smokey mountain, another cool one I'd love to learn more about, and buy ;)

Whitewookie said:
Still burning meat on the old Weber 22.5. See no need to change.  Clean it out once in awhile, get a set of new grates, and press.  Might add an offset smoker if I can find one I can afford, but the Weber ain't going anywhere.  I don't think it's possible to burn through one.  I know guys who are still cooking on 1970 model Weber kettles.

Go over to the BBQ Bretheren forum and check out the thread on Weber appreciation...
VR,
Harold

Thanks Whitewookie for your info :)  I wonder if the lift up grates to add more charcoal will fit on mine.  Spose will just have to go measure it hey :)

Many thanks to all for your info :)

Back