• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

My Semi Homemade Chilly

Today for lunch & dinner, SEMI HOMEMADE CHILLY

Only reason it's semi home made chilly, I was too lazy to make the chilly it self from scratch so I've purchased "Its a darn good chilly mix"

And here is the end result.

482893992_v95dU-S.jpg

&

482893973_LkR7q-S.jpg

Thanks Jay, I'm still not sure what went wrong with this chilly "minestronie soup"

did I forget the thickener as we were talking about few pages up?

PhatManDerek said:
Thanks Jay, I'm still not sure what went wrong with this chilly "minestronie soup"

did I forget the thickener as we were talking about few pages up?
Too many things went wrong, it's soup. Seriously, check the link JayT gave you. There's no fixing this one.

It seems like you tackle cooking something by using what you have. To make chili you're going to have to take some notes from this site and go shopping. Read that thread, and a few other chili threads, take notes, and try to make a chili. Then post your results. I don't want to see you resort to the refrigerator again... I can see it now, Orange Fanta Funion Chili.

thehotpepper.com said:
It seems like you tackle cooking something by using what you have. To make chili you're going to have to take some notes from this site and go shopping. Read that thread, and a few other chili threads, take notes, and try to make a chili. Then post your results. I don't want to see you resort to the refrigerator again... I can see it now, Orange Fanta Funion Chili.
Your right about what I do, I take what Ihave laying around and throw it in until it tastes good!

And Yes I will read the thread, tomorrow for sure right now I'm just relaxing!

And don't be surprised if it costs you $60-80 to make a good pot of chili. However, you will have some spices left over for more batches.

thehotpepper.com said:
And don't be surprised if it costs you $60-80 to make a good pot of chili. However, you will have some spices left over for more batches.
Holy Crap $60-$80 for chilly for one person?

You make chili in batches, if you want one serving buy a can of it I guess.

Make a pot, and freeze it in bowls. You'll have plenty of meals!

thehotpepper.com said:
You make chili in batches, if you want one serving buy a can of it I guess.

Make a pot, and freeze it in bowls. You'll have plenty of meals!
the link Jay gave me? is there a way I can get the recipe cut down for one person? and do what you said to do thp?

Throw it in the freezer!

You can probably make a small batch for $20-30.

Most of your money there would be for spices, meat, and the wine. You could make your own changes and cut the cost by omitting the wine. Maybe even use your dr. pepper. Like THP said once you have the spices then you will have enough to make many batches of chili. To cut it down, just scale down the amounts used by using only 1/2 or 1/4 of each ingredient. When I make mine I usually make about 5-6 quarts at a time. Thank lasts me a week even with some going in the freezer.

JayT said:
Most of your money there would be for spices, meat, and the wine. You could make your own changes and cut the cost by omitting the wine. Maybe even use your dr. pepper. Like THP said once you have the spices then you will have enough to make many batches of chili. To cut it down, just scale down the amounts used by using only 1/2 or 1/4 of each ingredient. When I make mine I usually make about 5-6 quarts at a time. Thank lasts me a week even with some going in the freezer.
Thanks again Jayman, I try again and follow the recipe to the best of my abilities but breads and pizza are my specialty

Yeah, spices are re-useable. It is worth stocking up on things like paprika, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt, pepper, etc.

I hope you are growing some peppers too, nothing better than drying home grown and grinding them for spices.

*PS sorry about the willy wonka thing! I was just laughing so HARD!!!;)*

cheezydemon said:
Yeah, spices are re-useable. It is worth stocking up on things like paprika, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt, pepper, etc.

I hope you are growing some peppers too, nothing better than drying home grown and grinding them for spices.

*PS sorry about the willy wonka thing! I was just laughing so HARD!!!;)*
My mom's Boss is growing peppers so if I need any I can ask her to ask him.

My mom's boss is also growing tomato's so I can make my own pizza sauce, rue, and what ever else I need tomato's for.

PhatManDerek said:
My mom's boss is also growing tomato's so I can make my own pizza sauce, rue, and what ever else I need tomato's for.
Tomato rue? Hmmm. A rue is a basically flour and butter (or fat/oil). You use it as a thickener instead of adding flour directly, which will clump. You usually start with a rue in a pan, and add your other ingredients after. An example is, when you cook a turkey, you make a rue from the fat left in the pan to start your gravy.

thehotpepper.com said:
Tomato rue? Hmmm. A rue is a basically flour and butter (or fat/oil). You use it as a thickener instead of adding flour directly, which will clump. You usually start with a rue in a pan, and add your other ingredients after. An example is, when you cook a turkey, you make a rue from the fat left in the pan to start your gravy.
Thanks for the education tip, I'm still learning to cook

Back