• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

My "Spicy" car

Here's my windrestrictor in a quick night shot!
IMG_2151.jpg

Here's the engine as requested:
IMG_2152.jpg

IMG_2153.jpg

IMG_2154.jpg

Underneath that little red shield in the 3rd pic is where the magic happens (that's the turbo) :)

Stock ECU with HPTuners for programming. It's not fuel injected, it's direct injected so a little different than what you're thinking -- they're 2250PSI Bosch Injectors :) I peak at about 28lbs of boost and drop to about 24 at 7000 RPMs

Wow 28 lbs of boost is getting up there! I would hate to be those pistons!

Edit: Forgot to say those glowing red chillis look really cool.

Novacastrian said:
Wow 28 lbs of boost is getting up there! I would hate to be those pistons!

Edit: Forgot to say those glowing red chillis look really cool.

Nice Saturn... Pistons, Rods, Crank, Heads, Lifters, Cam.. all can grenade if something goes wrong. Bet your also running 118 octane to compensate.. stock ECU?.. hmmm lol.. I may not be good growing peppers, but I know cars. ;)

Must have spent a fortune on the turbo. most I have ever seen for street use was 14 pounds.

The stock ECU is pretty flexible as far as programming goes, we have the vast majority of the tables available. 93 Octane, it'll run fine on 91, but I wouldn't want to hit full boost on 91 just to be safe.

CayenneLover said:
Must have spent a fortune on the turbo. most I have ever seen for street use was 14 pounds.

Did you mean specifically a Solstice/Sky turbo set-up or overall?
Overall it's more a matter of when the wastegate opens, as opposed to the turbo itself(yes, the size of the turbo is an airflow factor of course), but with mild tweaks(chip, exhaust, larger downpipe, etc.- bolt on stuff) you can get close to 30 PSI out of a stock turbo(its a Garrett but i can't remember which one) on a Buick Grand National.

The stock setup hits 18-19lbs from the factory believe it or not. These direct injection engines are a LOT different than FI.

Tkromer said:
The stock setup hits 18-19lbs from the factory believe it or not. These direct injection engines are a LOT different than FI.

Oh, yeah. DI is a much nicer set-up than what i'm used to working with. I just wish it was adopted for gas engines sooner than it was. I've worked on DI turbo diesels for a while now, and like they say once you go DI you never want to go back.

Sickmont said:
Oh, yeah. DI is a much nicer set-up than what i'm used to working with. I just wish it was adopted for gas engines sooner than it was. I've worked on DI turbo diesels for a while now, and like they say once you go DI you never want to go back.

If you're familiar with the diesel setup, it's very similar, I just have spark plugs to deal with. These engines put up with a lot more than an FI setup, and they're more fuel efficient to boot. I get 31+ mpg highway and usually about 24-25mpg "combined" driving on most tanks.

Back