• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Name this fruit or veggie

Can you identify this? First time I have grown it but it looks interesting.

produce.jpg

Mike

skin looks like a cantalope...shape doesn't unless it is a hybrid...

It's a Sikkim cucumber. Strange color and shape. Here's what a blurb says at it:

The historic cucumber of 'Sikkim'. Fat, large fruit can reach 15" long by 6" wide. The ripe fruit is a unique rusty red color and is good eaten cooked or raw. In Asia cucumbers are often stir-fried and are quite tasty. This variety is grown in the Himalayas of Sikkim and Nepal. Sir Joseph Hooker first discovered it in the eastern Himalayas in 1848. Here is part of what he wrote about it: "So abundant were the fruits, that for days together I saw gnawed fruits lying by the natives' paths by the thousands, and every man, woman and child seemed engaged throughout the day in devouring them."

I'll cut it open tonight or tommorow and see what it's like.

Mike

wordwiz said:
Too large to put on a hamburger and bun!

Mike

Bah. Just make a bigger burger, dude. As for the bun, just get a whole loaf of Italian or French bread and cut it in half lengthwise.

Not very seedy, at least the one I harvested. I thought it tasted on the sweet side, my son said it was on the tart side, the wife said it was in the middle.

Alas, the cuke plants are dying - they don't seem capable of taking the heat, which is not that high - mid to upper 80s. But I've sowed some more so hopefully will have a bountiful harvest in late September or early October.

That one fruit was more than enough to fill a quart jar and I have at least three that are larger to pick.

Making note to self: get large plants outside no later than mid-May.

Mike

Back