• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Need Advice on what this is.

Hello all can anyone please give me some advice on what this could be i only fed them twice with 1/4 strenght chilli focus but the
nutes were like 12 months old .

IMG_3724.jpg

I have been reading online as to what it could be , and it sounds exacly like powdery mildew except powdery mildew is spose to
only be on the under side of the leaf.out of about 80 plants i have like 6 with this problem , all other plants are healthy as.

I believe I would check the roots and see if an upgrade in pot size is required. Kind of what prehensile said. Good luck.

Could it be sunburn?
No mate i dont think its sunburn as its only been outside a few days now and back in at night and it hasnt been that hot the days its been out.
the more i look at pics online and read about it its pointing towards powdery mildew , the room they have been is is pretty warm at night and gets
a bit humid, i might try a produst that i have been reading about online that is spose to stop it from spreading.

powdery-mildew-controls-L-Qmn9_I.jpg

this is what it looks like to me! i had a little guy in the sun and forgot about him and rest his soul all his leaves looked like that then dropped and he past away!
Hi mate thanks for your comment, yes your right it does look like its been affected by the sun , but this started days before i first put the plants in the sun to sun harden them
and the days it was outside it was overcast, i looked at google images on powdery mildew on chillis and its looking a bit like some of
the pics i saw.

Id say its from the sun. When you are startign to harden off they should only go an hour tops in the begining and then start goin longer and longer.

Hi mate thanks for your comment, yes your right it does look like its been affected by the sun , but this started days before i first put the plants in the sun to sun harden them
and the days it was outside it was overcast, i looked at google images on powdery mildew on chillis and its looking a bit like some of
the pics i saw.

Based on the photograph, this does not appear to be powdery mildew. PM will be showing powdery spots and the mildew growth can be easily seen. This is not iron deficiency, either. Photo points to sunburn, and occured at a specific-time and if it were a disease, it would have spread. PM would have also infected the new leaves, which appear healthy. How does the plant look now? Do post updated photos.
VB-MB, Pathologist-Canada.

It looks A LOT like sunburn to me too. How high has the UV Index been in your parts lately? We've been hitting 9 here! :eek:

If not, definitely a burn of some type I reckon. Have you been using any aerosols or anything? That might do it also. I tried some Rogor in a can recently and one of my plants copped it a little:

IMG_6338.jpg

Based on the photograph, this does not appear to be powdery mildew. PM will be showing powdery spots and the mildew growth can be easily seen. This is not iron deficiency, either. Photo points to sunburn, and occured at a specific-time and if it were a disease, it would have spread. PM would have also infected the new leaves, which appear healthy. How does the plant look now? Do post updated photos.
VB-MB, Pathologist-Canada.
Hi mate and thanks for your comment, yes on all the plants that it has affected it is only on the older leaf and doesnt seem to be on the new leaf and it does seem to get worse day by day .
Same plany just diffrent angle.

IMG_3729.jpg

It looks A LOT like sunburn to me too. How high has the UV Index been in your parts lately? We've been hitting 9 here! :eek:

If not, definitely a burn of some type I reckon. Have you been using any aerosols or anything? That might do it also. I tried some Rogor in a can recently and one of my plants copped it a little:

IMG_6338.jpg
No i havnt been using anything other than 2 feeds of 1/4 strenght chilli focus nuts but yes they have been outside for the last few days most of the day but it hasnt been that hot.
so if it is slight sunburn they should all recover ??

Hi mate and thanks for your comment, yes on all the plants that it has affected it is only on the older leaf and doesnt seem to be on the new leaf and it does seem to get worse day by day .
Same plany just diffrent angle.

IMG_3729.jpg
Powdery mildew will start on the bottom of the leaves and cause yellow spots on the tops of the leaves as it stays longer(i have it on one of my plants) and if you notice on your picture the section of the leaf in front by the stem is unnefected as it was shaded by the leaf above it. i would put my money on sunscald as i have seen this on a few of my plants when hardening them off(it does not take long for them sensitive leaves to get burnt) remove theose effected leaves and slowly introduce the sun to them and see if any other leaves start to look like this! there is no need to go out and buy something. i am by no means an expert on this but like i have said i have seen this on my plants and when i saw it was from hardening them off and leaving them in the sun too long! good luck just my 2cents.

here is a link to a picture of powdery mildew and it looks nothing like your leaves. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/07/Powdery_mildew.JPG

Eric

No i havnt been using anything other than 2 feeds of 1/4 strenght chilli focus nuts but yes they have been outside for the last few days most of the day but it hasnt been that hot.
so if it is slight sunburn they should all recover ??
Yeah, 1/4 strength Chilli Focus on a plant that size should be fine. My experience with fert burn is that it is usually darker anyway and normally starts from the tips of the leaves. At this point I would definitely be going with sun scald.

it does not take long for them sensitive leaves to get burnt
+1

Perhaps some shadecloth is in order? I'm even considering rigging some up for my adult plants to grow under—the Australian sun can really be a complete biatch!

The different angle in the second pic makes it look like sunburn to me now. Look at the edge of the leaf to the left and it's already beginning to darken. Won't be long and you'll be able to crumble it into ash. Yep, sunburn.

Powdery mildew will start on the bottom of the leaves and cause yellow spots on the tops of the leaves as it stays longer(i have it on one of my plants) and if you notice on your picture the section of the leaf in front by the stem is unnefected as it was shaded by the leaf above it. i would put my money on sunscald as i have seen this on a few of my plants when hardening them off(it does not take long for them sensitive leaves to get burnt) remove theose effected leaves and slowly introduce the sun to them and see if any other leaves start to look like this! there is no need to go out and buy something. i am by no means an expert on this but like i have said i have seen this on my plants and when i saw it was from hardening them off and leaving them in the sun too long! good luck just my 2cents.

here is a link to a picture of powdery mildew and it looks nothing like your leaves. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/07/Powdery_mildew.JPG

Eric
Thanks mate for your 2 cents worth , what you say about the top leaf shading the bottom makes sense, your 2 cents worth of advive and everyones advice is worth alot to a newbe grower like me ....thanks again.

Back