• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

NeedsWork 2017 - Year Three

Happy New Year!   :cheers:  Cheers to another year growing with y'all.  

My first round of seeds started soaking on 12/31.  They hit the dirt 24 hours later on 1/1.  They are hanging out with my 3rd season bhut and aloe.

Purple Suomi
Infinity Monster
Chocolate Moruga Hix Strain
SBJ7
Nebru Australia
Madballz Rusty 7 Pot
Padron
De Arbol
Pasilla Bajio
Bhut Jalokia (From 3rd season plant)
Caribbean Red Hab
Long Red Cayenne
Yellow Cayenne
Hot Cayenne
Cayenne Joe
7 Pot Brain Strain 
Reaper
Bahamian Goat
Fatali
Dragon Cayenne
Aji Blano Crystal (From last year's growdown)
Hangijao #5

DD9F2015-9932-4946-B0A2-EBA0419D0BB0_zps3cuu7ele.jpg

393EE518-B443-4176-8654-F05727C593C5_zpsvqzknnfj.jpg

F9A45437-F40D-4103-B239-78311255C840_zpsir54gmto.jpg

Link to 2015 season: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/53268-first-glog-2015/
Link to 2016 season: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/58631-needswork-2016-year-two/page-1

Essegi said:
Looking good!
Well, good luck!

Thanks!  Wednesday is my first day.  Back to being the new guy on the block.   :party:

I started most of my annual flowers.  I need to thin them soon.  I start most of the staples, but still get a few from the local spots.    

Flowers_zpsslak30zs.jpg

Group shot!

Everyone_zpsehb7xbvi.jpg

Bhut from the 3rd season plant in the corner.  The seeds are from its second season.  It has several almost identical babies.  Sorry for the foot in the shot!  :P

Bhut2_zpsu6zctc8y.jpg

Bhut1_zpsnnqdw40e.jpg

I missed this long red cayenne when I topped most of the plants... so it flowered.  

Cayenne_zpspbf3nz9p.jpg

OP Caribbean Red from last year is going crazy!

Cred2_zpsjm4cyuhf.jpg

Cred1_zpsvjizrbtw.jpg

Brew of the evening (broke my no beer during the week thing since I left my job)  :shh:  :liar:rofl:

Beer_zpsk5ymrhnc.jpg

:cheers:

Research has been done into drinking beer around chilli plants. It gives a 1000% increase in yield if you drink one beer a day near your plants.

Not sure who's conducted this research, but it sounds legit.  :drunk:

LocalFart said:
Research has been done into drinking beer around chilli plants. It gives a 1000% increase in yield if you drink one beer a day near your plants.

Not sure who's conducted this research, but it sounds legit.  :drunk:

Ha I agree.  Hopefully tea works too!  I've been feeling under the weather with this terrible sinus flu - So I've been hitting the tea hard.  This is the first week that I have been feeling better.  

At this point my biggest concern is airflow.  As the plants grow together, they support each other which reduces stress on their stems.  This combined with poor airflow at the soil level lead to damping off this year.  Tonight almost everybody received a mandatory haircut.  This week I plan to work on airflow with a new configuration that will have to last until plant out.  If there is room, I would like to pot up some of habs.    

Photo dump

14_zpsvbtm0wil.jpg

12_zpsgauhiinu.jpg

13_zpso359mkb8.jpg

11_zpsiari4njs.jpg

10_zpsty6jxe6r.jpg

9_zpsj5qiafte.jpg

8_zpsrsvj3vyy.jpg

5_zpsjm65bxaq.jpg

4_zpslc0fiopt.jpg

3_zpsi7cs6dvb.jpg

6_zpsz6uh80om.jpg

2_zpsciznjonm.jpg

1_zpsd9plgs04.jpg

Plants look great! Good work man!

And yeah, beer helps.... it takes care of over-caring your plants. So I heard the other day, the pepper ferry whispered that into my ear.
Cant remember which ear it was though.
:whistle:

Everything is looking great!!  What are the dimensions of the pots you are using?  I was going to use the good old solo cups, but I like square things better.  Thanks!

tsurrie said:
Plants look great! Good work man!

And yeah, beer helps.... it takes care of over-caring your plants. So I heard the other day, the pepper ferry whispered that into my ear.
Cant remember which ear it was though.
:whistle:

Thanks!  Hah! :beer:

Now is probably the most challenging time for me.  The plants will outgrow there containers and require frequent watering.  I'm going to let them wilt more than last year, and hopefully with some luck, I won't have damping off issues.  Knock on wood. 

smallbutfierce said:
Everything is looking great!!  What are the dimensions of the pots you are using?  I was going to use the good old solo cups, but I like square things better.  Thanks!

Thanks!  I used the 3.5" deep pots from GHMS: http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/black-form-pots-hobby-pack/seed-pots

They seem durable enough to get a few seasons out of them.

Devv said:
Plants look great! And you have a Bhut load too!

And yes, beer, gotta have it! :cheers:
Hah thanks!

Everyone went outside for the first time today.  I plan to clean and organize the tent tonight.  

The three year old bhut was hiding a baby pod.  It's neat to still have a plant from my first season with y'all!

17546947_10212381911853660_3130831212456235148_o_zpshcr7gwky.jpg

17498521_10212381990335622_1330267807905984577_n_zpstg5hawoe.jpg

17523020_10212381990215619_5640344341426691809_n_zpsg9bw0w5s.jpg

LocalFart said:
Those plants are looking great

Thanks!  They filled up the tent so I won't get to up-pot this year.

U)<now said:
That 3 year old Bhut will be a monster this season!

I hope so!  I need to get some big pods off of it for seeds. 

I kicked everyone out for the next few days.  There are 81 labeled babies this year... plus a random tray.  I have room to plant 50 max.  The next couple weeks will help me pick the strongest plants.  Those that do not make the cut go out to pasture at my parents in the country.  I am just about out of seeds, so I plan to save lots this year to give/trade/save. 

04.02.2017_zpsvjnj8a9o.jpg

Plants are all looking very healthy indeed, as others have commented good work on the 3 year old but. That will be a monster this season.
Your rolling along nicely, good luck for the season.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

Superhot Sim said:
Plants are all looking very healthy indeed, as others have commented good work on the 3 year old but. That will be a monster this season.
Your rolling along nicely, good luck for the season.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

I hope the bhut keeps carrying on.  It's been been my only source of pods for two winters now.  

Thanks for the kind words!

Planted out yesterday.  49 plants in the dirt and 86 total babies total including pots.  I'll leave the pots half way in the dirt until I find them better homes.  

garden%202017_zpslqxpmnhe.jpg

garden%20plant%202017_zpscjecq9ak.jpg

Peppers_zpsjsleopap.jpg

My hillbilly way of starting the fire... 

Fire_zpsc9mmlglm.jpg

That's a passel o' great looking plants, , Nick!

Good luck heading into the meat of the season...

LocalFart said:
Are those plants too close? I planted mine really close like that and felt they were competing.

Looking good though.

Good eye!   ;)   If my season was a little bit longer they would be.  They are about 2.5' / 76cm apart.  By the end of the season they just start to compete.    

I do have 40-50 potted plants in that photo that are spaced in between the rows.  They will go away mid-month.

juanitos said:
nice you are going to have a jungle if they all grow lol!

Haha indeed!  

Devv said:
Plants look good, and I agree, a jungle soon to be ;)

Thanks!!  The bee's are happy.  As long as the birds stay away.   :party:

PaulG said:
That's a passel o' great looking plants, , Nick!

Good luck heading into the meat of the season...

Thanks for the kind words!!  Now I need to dodge the potential frost.

Well ya'll.  I always plant out early for my area and it looks like Murphy is visiting again.

Capture_zpsg0lbpmf0.jpg

_____ That.  

tent_zpswhwuhvj6.jpg

tent%202_zpsabluy246.jpg

A few weeks earlier Menards had drip irrigation parts on sale.  So we are going to try that this year.  

3_zpsbbzf2d3a.jpg

4_zpswz8ivnl8.jpg

Back