• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

New Addition At the Launch Pad, RocketMan's Smokin!

Some really good friends of ours gave me a Bradley Electric Smoker. This bad boy has 4 racks and can smoke at temperatures from around 90 to 250 degrees F and there's even an available attachment to do cold smoking with it.
Soooooooooo.......

I just had to make a little stop at Publix since my plants arn't putting out enough pods yet and wound up with this

C490AD8D-7F5D-414E-AEC5-813C06E57825-7444-00000AE825D349A2.jpg

and in they go

33A2074F-4DAC-47FB-9E2F-217B126CF7DD-7444-00000AE822E80467.jpg

loaded up the hopper with Applewood and set the control for low and 2 1/2 hours later it looked like this

72786B83-21E2-4FAA-AE0C-E86E8A9AD3B4-7444-00000AEDB0774F42.jpg

It hovered around the 100 degree mark going above and below it occationally. At one point I unplugged the internal heating element leaving just the heating pad that causes the wood to smoke. At the end of the 2 1/2 hours the peppers had a great smokiness to them and while a touch tender they were still very firm to the touch when i packed them into the fermenter with the other ingredients.

7273D805-6E6D-4F13-AE37-63039F5853C8-7444-00000AEDA7699724.jpg

The cloud at the bottom is from the starter I used. i was a little concerned that the smoking of the peppers might interfere with the fermentation but 24 hours later it was clearing up and bubbles were developing. I thought about grabbing the food processor and whizzing it all up into a true and proper mash but it was late, I was tired and decided to just stuff it as is.

4E47EAA4-617B-4187-AF9C-288A7B85CDC7-112-0000000229597648.jpg

Planning on letting this one go for about 45 days and then I'll crack it and see if i want it to go longer or not. I'll be back from time to time with update pics so, till next time -

The Sauce Must Flow!!!!

Edit: Sorry about the picture quality, darm IPhone pics.

Yumm-o!

Looks like it is gonna be tasty!

LIke I said Matt, make sure you get that info to me :)

RM I'm disappointed.

New smoker and all those chile's and not a single popper.

:mope:

Well, this is the Hot Sauce Thread not the Popper thread. But believe me they're plans being worked on as I type

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm smoked rocket fuel :fireball:

Just waiting to get some more superhot pods. My butch T is loaded with buds so stay tuned Bro.

Jedi if you haven't been through the Fermenting 101 thread pinned at the top of this thread, give it a read. It covers some of the typically used starters and gives a great breakdown of the fermenting process. Well worth the read if I may say so myself but then, I may be a little biased on it. :)

Jedi if you haven't been through the Fermenting 101 thread pinned at the top of this thread, give it a read. It covers some of the typically used starters and gives a great breakdown of the fermenting process. Well worth the read if I may say so myself but then, I may be a little biased on it. :)
i found it, thanks! How much sourdough starter would i need for 1 pound of chiles?

did you put carrots and garlic and onions in yours? thanks

would i need more starter if i put these in with the chiles?

Yes I put carrots, onion and garlic in and when I get ready to process it into sauce I'll add some Smoked Sundried Tomatoes

I wanna load up a bratwurst with a fist full of those !!!

You and me both! love me some Brats with a good sourdough hard roll

Cool i'm going to make a whey culture tomorrow from greek yougurt, i have close to a pound of Red Scotch Bonnets on the way from Balac, was thinking about putting carrots, garlic, onion with the chiles. How much sugar will i need to get this going? Could i put fruit in it also?

Yes I put carrots, onion and garlic in and when I get ready to process it into sauce I'll add some Smoked Sundried Tomatoes

You and me both! love me some Brats with a good sourdough hard roll

I don't want to hijack your thread, but Rocketman, if you want a REALLY tasty brat, you need some of my fermented cabbage, onions, garlic, Bhuts, and Red jalapenos !! It'll make your mouth happy !!
kraut1.jpg

kraut.jpg

kraut2.jpg

Back