• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

New Addition At the Launch Pad, RocketMan's Smokin!

Some really good friends of ours gave me a Bradley Electric Smoker. This bad boy has 4 racks and can smoke at temperatures from around 90 to 250 degrees F and there's even an available attachment to do cold smoking with it.
Soooooooooo.......

I just had to make a little stop at Publix since my plants arn't putting out enough pods yet and wound up with this

C490AD8D-7F5D-414E-AEC5-813C06E57825-7444-00000AE825D349A2.jpg

and in they go

33A2074F-4DAC-47FB-9E2F-217B126CF7DD-7444-00000AE822E80467.jpg

loaded up the hopper with Applewood and set the control for low and 2 1/2 hours later it looked like this

72786B83-21E2-4FAA-AE0C-E86E8A9AD3B4-7444-00000AEDB0774F42.jpg

It hovered around the 100 degree mark going above and below it occationally. At one point I unplugged the internal heating element leaving just the heating pad that causes the wood to smoke. At the end of the 2 1/2 hours the peppers had a great smokiness to them and while a touch tender they were still very firm to the touch when i packed them into the fermenter with the other ingredients.

7273D805-6E6D-4F13-AE37-63039F5853C8-7444-00000AEDA7699724.jpg

The cloud at the bottom is from the starter I used. i was a little concerned that the smoking of the peppers might interfere with the fermentation but 24 hours later it was clearing up and bubbles were developing. I thought about grabbing the food processor and whizzing it all up into a true and proper mash but it was late, I was tired and decided to just stuff it as is.

4E47EAA4-617B-4187-AF9C-288A7B85CDC7-112-0000000229597648.jpg

Planning on letting this one go for about 45 days and then I'll crack it and see if i want it to go longer or not. I'll be back from time to time with update pics so, till next time -

The Sauce Must Flow!!!!

Edit: Sorry about the picture quality, darm IPhone pics.

Yumm-o!

Looks like it is gonna be tasty!

LIke I said Matt, make sure you get that info to me :)

RM I'm disappointed.

New smoker and all those chile's and not a single popper.

:mope:

Well, this is the Hot Sauce Thread not the Popper thread. But believe me they're plans being worked on as I type

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm smoked rocket fuel :fireball:

Just waiting to get some more superhot pods. My butch T is loaded with buds so stay tuned Bro.

Jedi if you haven't been through the Fermenting 101 thread pinned at the top of this thread, give it a read. It covers some of the typically used starters and gives a great breakdown of the fermenting process. Well worth the read if I may say so myself but then, I may be a little biased on it. :)

Jedi if you haven't been through the Fermenting 101 thread pinned at the top of this thread, give it a read. It covers some of the typically used starters and gives a great breakdown of the fermenting process. Well worth the read if I may say so myself but then, I may be a little biased on it. :)
i found it, thanks! How much sourdough starter would i need for 1 pound of chiles?

did you put carrots and garlic and onions in yours? thanks

would i need more starter if i put these in with the chiles?

Yes I put carrots, onion and garlic in and when I get ready to process it into sauce I'll add some Smoked Sundried Tomatoes

I wanna load up a bratwurst with a fist full of those !!!

You and me both! love me some Brats with a good sourdough hard roll

Cool i'm going to make a whey culture tomorrow from greek yougurt, i have close to a pound of Red Scotch Bonnets on the way from Balac, was thinking about putting carrots, garlic, onion with the chiles. How much sugar will i need to get this going? Could i put fruit in it also?

Yes I put carrots, onion and garlic in and when I get ready to process it into sauce I'll add some Smoked Sundried Tomatoes

You and me both! love me some Brats with a good sourdough hard roll

I don't want to hijack your thread, but Rocketman, if you want a REALLY tasty brat, you need some of my fermented cabbage, onions, garlic, Bhuts, and Red jalapenos !! It'll make your mouth happy !!
kraut1.jpg

kraut.jpg

kraut2.jpg

Back