• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

New Age Nonsense Friends on Facebook and Real Life

grantmichaels said:

That's Israeli history, not Jewish history ...

This is becoming like a nature/nurture argument, and the degree of importance of blood relations ... and we all know if you go far enough with that, you approach Godwin's Law rapidly ...

There's genetic evidence that's come to light in the past decade that the majority of Ashkenazi "Jews" on the planet are the offspring from SIX Middle Eastern males having picked up Italian/Roman or whatever women on the way to what would now be Germany ...

So like, I think there's way, way, way more Askenazi Jews worldwide than Sephardic Jew in Israel I'm thinking ...

It's likely the base of any "power" to not get wiped off the planet by all the people who hate and don't wish to have an Israel exist at all ... and look, it's a mutt, it's not pure by any stretch of the imagination ...

And really, let's be honest, the true "protections" for Israel by Americans aren't "for Jews" ... they are to protect Jerusalem for white Anglo-Americans, for Christianity ...

That's why I think it's ridiculous to condescend to anyone, for the most part, when it's all based on a form of charity in one form or another ...

You literally live in a place that exists purely on the actions and feelings of everyone you are talking to, both the couple of Jewish people around here, and all of the Christians ...

The Iron-Dome, the planes the Air-Force flies, and nuclear capacity ... it mostly rides on American's backs ...

No. Don't conflate Zionism with the entirety of Jewish history. Read the Tanakh. The entire Decalogue is about establishing law and order in a land they sought to establish as their own while forging their own national identity and rule. Ashkenazim come way after anything we're discussing. Also, there's probably about 50/50 in terms of Ashkenaz/Sephardic heritage, assuming you count the Mizrachim with the Sefardim. Israel is about 50/50, though, for sure. I'm quite well updated on our history. For the record, my family is German and we look nothing like the Germans. I've got olive skin and dark hair. You wouldn't be able to tell me from someone that was born in Algeria or Morocco. 

I really don't follow this "base of any power to get wiped off the Earth" thinking. It's simply foreign to me. I don't see at all where any of this comes into the equation.

yochannontzvi said:
I really don't follow this "base of any power to get wiped off the Earth" thinking. It's simply foreign to me. I don't see at all where any of this comes into the equation.

So then, you think Israel is strong enough to stand on it's own going forward?

grantmichaels said:

So then, you think Israel is strong enough to stand on it's own going forward?

It depends on how bad the rest of the world f**ks up when they decide to go against us.
grantmichaels said:

The only "God" I have are the constants in the universe ...

I don't need to argue w/ anyone about the creation of the universe, because I don't require a beginning (or an end, for that matter) ...

What if it's all balanced, what if it's something like E = mc2? ...

I certainly don't deny evolution, not when we see it every day in the immune systems and virology ...

Okay? Mazal tov? Who's arguing about creation? Who's discussing a beginning or an end? Did you misread my signature or something? I don't deny evolution either. What are you getting at?

There's only one thing to say to that, which is ironic as fuck ... Jesus Fucking Christ, SMH ...

You sound like a mobster's kid ... before realizing it's been daddy all along.

If you keep going forward, while turned around looking backwards, you are sure to run into it, but at least you'll never see it coming ... so there's that.

grantmichaels said:
There's only one thing to say to that, which is ironic as f**k ... Jesus f**king Christ, SMH ...

You sound like a mobster's kid ... before realizing it's been daddy all along.

If you keep going forward, while turned around looking backwards, you are sure to run into it, but at least you'll never see it coming ... so there's that.

A mobsters kid? Unfortunately, I never had the privilege of growing up around such people. Perhaps you could edify me further as I'm simply not seeing what you're saying. You start going off about creation and e=mc2. What's that got to do with anything? Really? Who's discussing that? That's got nothing to do with anything being said. If it does, you've not made the connection to me. I'm not interested in making personal insults toward you. If you have something to say, spit it out.

Ashkenazim, Sefardim, etc, etc, have nothing to do with anything being discussed. If you can't pick that up, I'm sorry? What do you expect me to say? It's just so out of left field.

yochannontzvi said:

The thing is, we don't really have "faith". It's a matter of perception. You either perceive there's a God or there isn't. I don't see that as a matter of faith. I see that as a matter of culmination of life's experiences and the resources available to you. 

If one perceives there to be a god, from what evidence does one base that conclusion?

I'm all out of energy to use words ...

1335917651567.jpg

Obama-Child-Tantrum.jpg

lol ...
Hybrid Mode 01 said:

If one perceives there to be a god, from what evidence does one base that conclusion?

Tag, you're in, I'm out of here ...

LOL.

Have learned to politely explain that my sense of reality is so far removed from another persons sense of reality that responding to insane New Age claims would be insulting.  The pyramids were ancient landing platforms for UFOs.  Smile, nod, maybe bow slightly, but be sure to back away slowly.  What ever you do, don't show fear.  They can sense that.

.....tiptoes out of the room to let the brothers keep beating the shit out of each other....only to realize the youngest has a shit eating grin the size of Texas because I just ate your dessert :)

yochannontzvi said:

I actually have learnt the better part of busser v'chalav (laws of milk and meat) and am going to start learning ta'aruvot (the laws of forbidden mixtures)...      

...You can't really design a kosher kitchen, either. You simply don't mix milk and meat or cook something not kosher in the same keilim and you keep seperate keilim...

yochannontzvi said:

The truth is, sinks aren't a problem for kosher. It's a stringency people keep. They're constantly filled with soapy water. The soap-water mixture gets rid of the issue of one flavor mixing into another because the flavor of the previous mixture becomes nullified as a result of the soapy mixture. Essentially, you can't taste it. Also, a lot of sinks are stainless steel. Stainless steel doesn't absorb flavor and can't give flavor even under heat. The only possible issue would be if you put a hot piece of cheese on top of a piece of meat, in which case it would have no effect on the utensils being cooked with since the flavor of the unkosher admixture does not give off to the vessel below it (assuming the food receiving the unkosher flavor was not hot); the flavor is not transferred to the utentsils (i.e. the sink or plate) unless the admixture itself is hot. The heat is what causes the flavor transfer into the the first thing it touches, not the second, unless the second thing is hot enough to allow the flavor of said admixture to absorb into the utensil(s) in question. In any case, even if the utensils were deemed unkosher as a result, you could still eat cold food off said unkosher utensils. That being said, you can use the same sink for all practical purposes for both meat and dairy or non-kosher dishes. Most people just keep separate sinks for convenience, not because it's actually an issue of kosher/not kosher.

yochannontzvi said:
We all have one of those friends in our lives that posts incoherent nonsense 

grantmichaels said:
I'm all out of energy to use words ...

1335917651567.jpg

Obama-Child-Tantrum.jpg

lol ...

Tag, you're in, I'm out of here ...

LOL.

Grant, you can't read Hebrew and there's practically no Orthodox Jews in Sarasota. I know them all and you're not included among them. You never were and probably never will be. You don't speak the same language as me. Explaining Judaism to you is futile. I can't explain the Jewish mode of interpretation accurately to someone who, for all practical purposes, is Christian!

Hybrid Mode 01 said:

I'll answer your question with another question: If God is beyond all definition, why is God's existence dependent on evidence? I'm saying you can't objectively prove that there is a God to another person. It's a matter of personal perception. What one person views as disproof, another person views as proof. There's no way to objectively prove to another there is a God. It's your responsibility to decide whether you accept that there is one or there's not. God's existence by nature is not dependent on empirical evidence. Both negative and positive theology fall short of giving an actual reason to accept his existence. The very notion that God can be proved or disproved through empirical means is diametrically opposed to what the concept of God is. God is not inherently based on evidence. Evidence is not part of the equation. The mythological mind seeks to equate God with corporeal means.

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     I look at folks who think a cheeseburger is a bad idea the same as I would someone who uses crystals to align their chakras.

No one said it's inherently a bad idea. You don't understand that. A cheeseburger is not wrong. That's what you all don't get. You have such a completely different understanding of religion and God, you can't understand why we don't eat them while saying there's nothing wrong with them. I said it once and I'll say it again: explaining Judaism to you is futile. And it's futile to Grant as well, even though he's coincidentally Jewish.

yochannontzvi said:

I'll answer your question with another question: If God is beyond all definition, why is God's existence dependent on evidence? I'm saying you can't objectively prove that there is a God to another person. It's a matter of personal perception. What one person views as disproof, another person views as proof. There's no way to objectively prove to another there is a God. It's your responsibility to decide whether you accept that there is one or there's not. God's existence by nature is not dependent on empirical evidence. Both negative and positive theology fall short of giving an actual reason to accept his existence. The very notion that God can be proved or disproved through empirical means is diametrically opposed to what the concept of God is. God is not inherently based on evidence. Evidence is not part of the equation. The mythological mind seeks to equate God with corporeal means.

That's fine. It's just that when someone starts talking about their ability to "perceive" an entity that no one else can see and no one has ever been able to show any evidence of existence, I can't help but lump them into the same group you were chuckling at when you started this thread.

Hybrid Mode 01 said:

That's fine. It's just that when someone starts talking about their ability to "perceive" an entity that no one else can see and no one has ever been able to show any evidence of existence, I can't help but lump them into the same group you were chuckling at when you started this thread.

Really? As in those with a lower intelligence? You can't understand from anything else previously said that we don't hold cheeseburgers as wrong. I thought I made it clear a few posts up when I responded to Grant's comment on Hammurabi. If you can't take that meaning out of the text, perhaps it is you that is that fits into the group of people the study originally intended to discuss.

Read post #93.

yochannontzvi said:

No one said it's inherently a bad idea. You don't understand that. A cheeseburger is not wrong. That's what you all don't get. You have such a completely different understanding of religion and God, you can't understand why we don't eat them while saying there's nothing wrong with them. I said it once and I'll say it again: explaining Judaism to you is futile. And it's futile to Grant as well, even though he's coincidentally Jewish.

Please stop copping out with the "I just can't explain it to a goy" schtick and try us. Why would anybody not eat a cheeseburger? They're delicious and healthy (in moderation).
     I could understand if a person has a reason like lactose intolerance or they don't feel like supporting the gross waste of energy and resources that is the beef business. But what is the logic behind Judaism's forbidding these things?

yochannontzvi said:

Grant, you can't read Hebrew and there's practically no Orthodox Jews in Sarasota. I know them all and you're not included among them. You never were and probably never will be. You don't speak the same language as me. Explaining Judaism to you is futile. I can't explain the Jewish mode of interpretation accurately to someone who, for all practical purposes, is Christian!

1) You are wrong, I can read Hebrew ... I just don't know what I'm saying means. I know the alphabet, and how to verbalize it.
2) Christians are the superset of Jews, agreeing upon the Old Testament, and diverging on the extraterrestrial stuff re: Jesus.
3) Your "explanation" of Judaism exists purely out of sponsorship by Christians, Christian-Americans, Jewish-Americans, and to an ever-decreasing extent anyone else in the world (see the UK, France, Germany etc), without which you'd be a displaced, and quickly ...

Hybrid Mode 01 said:

Please stop copping out with the "I just can't explain it to a goy" schtick and try us. Why would anybody not eat a cheeseburger? They're delicious and healthy (in moderation).
     I could understand if a person has a reason like lactose intolerance or they don't feel like supporting the gross waste of energy and resources that is the beef business. But what is the logic behind Judaism's forbidding these things?

Read post #93 again. Read it very carefully. The point is that the laws are relative in a certain sense. It's not that I can't explain it to a goy. Gran'ts Jewish and he doesn't get it. I said it very clearly: Judaism is a process and you have to go through it. It's a different way of looking at things. You don't get that because it's foreign to you that anything could be completely foreign to you. I explained myself.

grantmichaels said:

1) You are wrong, I can read Hebrew ... I just don't know what I'm saying means. I know the alphabet, and how to verbalize it.
2) Christians are the superset of Jews, agreeing upon the Old Testament, and diverging on the extraterrestrial stuff re: Jesus.
3) Your "explanation" of Judaism exists purely out of sponsorship by Christians, Christian-Americans, Jewish-Americans, and to an ever-decreasing extent anyone else in the world (see the UK, France, Germany etc), without which you'd be a displaced, and quickly ...

Glad Hebrew school paid off for something. Use it to read the text then, because, you've demonstrated you don't know how to apply that skill. Verbalization is not the only part of Hebrew. My explanation of Judaism does not exist purely out of sponsorship of Christians. Read the Talmud. Read Rambam. Read Shulchan Aruch. This predates Christianity. You don't know remotely what you're talking about.

If you want to make the argument against my presentation of Judaism, you'd be better off pinpointing Avicenna and Aristotle. Christianity by and large very against them.

yochannontzvi said:
Glad Hebrew school paid off for something. Use it to read the text then, because, you've demonstrated you don't know how to apply that skill. Verbalization is not the only part of Hebrew. My explanation of Judaism does not exist purely out of sponsorship of Christians. Read the Talmud. Read Rambam. Read Shulchan Aruch. This predates Christianity. You don't know remotely what you're talking about.

Read military strategy.

Back