• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

New Age Nonsense Friends on Facebook and Real Life

yochannontzvi said:

Read post #93 again. Read it very carefully. The point is that the laws are relative in a certain sense. It's not that I can't explain it to a goy. Gran'ts Jewish and he doesn't get it. I said it very clearly: Judaism is a process and you have to go through it. It's a different way of looking at things. You don't get that because it's foreign to you that anything could be completely foreign to you. I explained myself.

In post 93 you mentioned that biblical law was, at least in part, derived from Hammurabi's code. Then you said that god needed to create laws that appealed to people. So god just decided to use Babylonian law as a template for his own out of convenience? This makes no sense at all. I'm so confused. 
     I have no problem talking to people from other cultures and walks of life and coming away with some understanding of where they're coming from. When they make an attempt to communicate. Or they have something worth saying. 

Hybrid Mode 01 said:

In post 93 you mentioned that biblical law was, at least in part, derived from Hammurabi's code. Then you said that god needed to create laws that appealed to people. So god just decided to use Babylonian law as a template for his own out of convenience? This makes no sense at all. I'm so confused. 
     I have no problem talking to people from other cultures and walks of life and coming away with some understanding of where they're coming from. When they make an attempt to communicate. Or they have something worth saying. 

The point is that the laws were speaking in relative terms. It wasn't saying there's a "right or wrong". U.S. law is based off British Common Law. Is it because British Common Law or U.S. law is objectively the best law? Not necessarily. It's that it was relative to the people it spoke to and allowed them to form a society with law. If you were to introduce a law to the U.S. they were completely unacquainted with, the U.S. population most likely wouldn't follow it. The same is true for Jewish law or any law. Law is meant to be something people can follow and relate to.

If you want proof of it being right or wrong, I'll quote you exactly where the Midrashim are that discuss the laws of carnal relations being nullified in the times of the Messiah. Before you do that, though, you have to understand the concept of Jewish messianism. Very different from what Christians believe and a whole different discussion altogether. I said it before: we have our own legal system and beliefs very foreign to yours. It's not that you can't understand because you're not Jewish, it's just not practical.

You guys relate to scripture as a book of morals and theology. Jews don't. We're not saying certain stories don't have morals to them, though. We simply view scripture as a book of law. It is solely your guy's outlook that views scripture as making moral statements and the likes; Grant included. Since we do not view it this way, it's pretty hard for you to identify any reason to abide by it or to make sense of it. The only way the mythological mind could abide by it in any remote way, is by turning it into a book of morality and theology. It is not that at all. Go study it in depth if you want to see what I mean. There's little to no basis for interpretation to take it that way, either. This is what Judaism is fundamentally opposed to; it is not a "moral system of guidelines", as Grant so naively fancies it in quoting the ten commandments with Hippocrates Oath. That's how a Christian looks at it. Anyone who takes the Tanakh as a complete moral guide, imo is a fool. Anyone who takes it as a partial moral guide on the basis that it was written to be a moral guide is a fool as well. We do not view the law as an intrinsically moral statement on reality or anything else. There is a huge difference between morality and biblical law. The only aspect of morality biblical law really encompasses is that of the people it was given to: a slash and burn society that had aspirations for a better life.

Silly nonsensical dribble. Pages and pages of it. How you feel you are elevated above the other fruit cakes on fb is beyond me. 

Might as well rename this thread My Religion is the only true religion and all other forms of beliefs are nonsensical dribble. At least then you could fit in with all the catholics. 

D3monic said:
Silly nonsensical dribble. Pages and pages of it. How you feel you are elevated above the other fruit cakes on fb is beyond me. 

Might as well rename this thread My Religion is the only true religion and all other forms of beliefs are nonsensical dribble. At least then you could fit in with all the catholics. 

The only move is walking away ...

Yeah, but, I don't think my religion is better than anyone elses. Nor do I think it's inherently "better". It's different and you don't understand why. If you can't see that from what I wrote, read again. There's not really a right or wrong. If I failed to convey that, sorry. But, I thinj I made it clear. Like I said, we speak different languages. For all practical purposes, Grant as well.

I made quite clear my point of view on that. You've all demonstrated quite clearly that it does not register. I will say it again: I do not think my religion is superior or that I'm the only one that's right.

The prechristian norse folk have a story about a guy named Ash and a gal named Elm.  While the various gods (religions) of the world went to war, Ash and Elm hung out in a cave.  When all those gods and their religions were dead and done with the world, Ash and Elm came out their cave and had a party.

I call it the story of the two smart Vikings.

After thought:

On certain organized religions being inherently better than others.  I am going with there are some organized religions which are flat out screwed up, thus inferior.

Some sects of the Jewish faith are spreading genital herpes to infants by sucking the blood from the penis after circumcision.  The ritual is called Metzitzah b'peh.  Ye, I am going with a religion which allows vampire baby penis sucking is inferior.  Then there is the Family International which for a time promoting parents involving their children in sex.  Don't get me started on the Church and School of Wicca.

These days, I am leaning towards Pastafarianism but have trouble giving up Bob worship.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2304793/Two-babies-stricken-HERPES-ritual-oral-blood-sucking-circumcision-New-York-City.html

ajdrew said:
After thought:

On certain organized religions being inherently better than others.  I am going with there are some organized religions which are flat out screwed up, thus inferior.

Some sects of the Jewish faith are spreading genital herpes to infants by sucking the blood from the penis after circumcision.  The ritual is called Metzitzah b'peh.  Ye, I am going with a religion which allows vampire baby penis sucking is inferior.  Then there is the Family International which for a time promoting parents involving their children in sex.  Don't get me started on the Church and School of Wicca.

These days, I am leaning towards Pastafarianism but have trouble giving up Bob worship.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2304793/Two-babies-stricken-HERPES-ritual-oral-blood-sucking-circumcision-New-York-City.html

me and ajdrew are just going the druid route and warshiping the toe pepper god. 

ajdrew said:
Don't get me started on the Church and School of Wicca.

Sadly of all religions "wicca" and Paganism have pulled at my heartstrings the hardest. 

Little known fact my mom and her sisters where practitioners at satanic churches in the 70's. You know, when that kind of thing was popular with the whole human sacrifice and orgies nonsense. 

do you actually have a good sense of brotherhood? it appears by your entrance into this space age bullshit blabber that we were having a bit of fun with, you may not have a good approach towards him in brotherhood and it is conditional. perhaps your body self is your principal concern? 32

Jeff H said:

To be fair, there are always answers to every question. We just don't know them yet.
The problem generally is, no one understands what the question should truly be or choose to ask the wrong questions. So when presented with the answer, they become confounded.

CAPCOM said:
The problem generally is, no one understands what the question should truly be or choose to ask the wrong questions. So when presented with the answer, they become confounded.

QFT and, as always, the answer to the questions is 42.

Every time.

Interesting and entertaining thread. Whatever I would add would be met with resistance, condemnation or accusation for attempting to force my beliefs the the many. So I will stay out of this one, as time is short and Revelation will unfold all truth. But that means absolutely nothing to those who do not hear and refuse to see.

01d9acdb2858c69b07ce0172c2e81351.jpg

"End Times" folks are fine by me. As long as they never preach to me or are allowed to hold an office which will afford them the power to do what they can to hasten the rapture. 

Back