• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

New Drama - Carbonero

image.jpg

Wicked Mike said:
Och, ye f*cking tell 'em! Ye'd think Tony's boot wiz up th'spout, an' the last bairn awreadies wi' ole Bawbag Currie's coupon or summat, aye? An' aw ees bawheided Harry Hoofters gype a'it, th' dobbers. Speir me, s'pure shite. Aw ees pyots gettin' raised oar quinkins, wi' real ettins to be fasht oar, 'f ye ken whae am oan aboot. Anoar clamihewit fae nawt. Warmers goat nawt else t'git chuffed oar, no th' Nat King Cole or nawt? Ah've goat mair tae dae come lowsin' time fae gawpin' a' messins an' playin' "whae's th' da," ken? So you lair 'em, ye barrie git, but I cannae be arsed. S'like gowlin' a' yowes, ken? Pure gies me th' boak.

But yeah, good to see you back on THP, bodach.

Probably would make more sense to the rest of you if I'd explained that I take every opportunity to tease poor Nigel for being Scottish.
rkempston said:
Wow that seems stupidly simple now. lol
It isn't.

It just seems that way.

Emasculating a flower and pollinating it with another variety is easy, yes. It's the selection and stabilization process that's a lot of work (but still worth it in my opinion, or I wouldn't be working on half the stuff I'm playing with).
ajdrew said:
Mine is more reasonably sized

I call shenanigans.

rkempston said:
Wow that seems stupidly simple now. lol

You might think it is, till you see all those lovely hard worked for cross pollinated flowers drop off and not set.. Because ... The flower wasn't quiet ripe... The temp got to cool ... The temp got to hot.. A hot day kills the flower... etc etc.. I remember last season I pollinated SOO many flowers so perfectly thinking " This is perfect no way it wont take " then three days later, the flower is going yellow and falling off, that being said I did have a number of attempts take too...

I also suggest if your plant is in a hot area to put it into semi shade while crossing to protect the flower..

Good luck

This is all I will say on the matter.

I haven't read the Facebook drama about the carbonero. And I only know of the reaper/primo accusations from what I have seen in some posts here. Of which I have not seen any irrefutable proof either way.

To sum this all up, all I see is two sides, like an NFL rivalry. One side will never be able to convince the other of wrong doing and the other side will never be able to convince the other there was none, because there is no proof either way.
Alleged deleted post is not proof. Peppers that look the same is not proof. Because you or I dont like someone is not proof. If you are in the business of making peppers, then you need to be cautious. And if you are not, then you or anyone else cannot lay blame on anyone else.

I received a large quantity of brown moruga pods from Judy when they were first coming out and I asked her straight up if I needed to protect the seed before I either grew or passed them on. Had she said yes, they would not have seen dirt. Her response was no, we're going to share them with the community.

What is troubling is the fact that base on supposition, suspicious behavior, gut feeling and circumstantial evidence there are those willing to convict someone of an alleged crime and absolutely no proof.

What is really scary, is that someday those same individuals with those same values may be a jury of my or someone elses peers.

I am choosing not to pick sides. Maybe to some of you that makes me a jerk.

I've talked to both men before, I like what I know of both men. I hate to think that Ed is stealing, and I hate that Primeaux (sp) feels taken advantage of and stolen from. Same deal for the carbonero.

I HOPE that nothing has been stolen, and pray that all three men are above reproach. I suspect that there have just been some coincidences. But really unless and until a DNA test comes back, we won't know for sure.

Until then all we can do is drag someone (or three) through the mud, speculate as to motives, infer methods, and basically gossip. Where is Maury when you need him.

c480x270_23.jpg

Grant, if I were to apply the logic that drives a good black helicopter conspiracy theory, I would put on my aluminum foil hat and come up with something like the Pepper Mafia.  Headed by the Pod Father, they created the controversy because Guinness hasnt given them a new champion in a few years.

Wait, another conspiracy.  Instead of going with a new pepper, the sauce companies came together and created the controversy that the Reaper and Primo are the same thing.  That way they could introduce a new sauce and not spend the money to create a new recipe. 

No, I don't actually believe this.  But its fun to think about a Pod Father.

Good stuff in here lol. I totally understand the anger of the people trying to make a business work. It happens in every industry though.

For instance I'm in new construction. Guess what every successful builder does. They walk in the competitions houses and take pictures and copy everything lol. You think I need their floor plan or any schematics to build the same house? Lol nope. If I see a company selling a bunch of houses and we're not I look at their listings online to see what they're doing, or what the people like.

It's apparant the same thing happens in the pepper community to an extent. You see a new cross with a weird name and a description like "er ma God.....this will so melt your face". Then a bunch of people buy them, only to realize it's not much different than the last 12 "er ma God" peppers. But the demand is there, so another guy crosses something with it, sells a bunch, rinse repeat.

It's just funny all the fuss made over some crosses, when they look/taste just like another. Then people are like no that one sucks. This one is way better.

Not worth fighting about. There is always another cross, hybrid, hottest pepper in the world to be discovered. I thought growers where supposed to stick together and help each other out whenever possible.

Svt - I don't think we should argue about it because what the hell do we know.  Talking about the underline issue, I think that is definitely something growers should discuss openly and freely.  After all, the topic isn't about either pepper but our right to call ourselves a community.  If we are a community, we must establish a sense of common ethics.  Without that, are we really a community?  I know, my hippie dippy side is coming out again.

ajdrew said:
Svt - I don't think we should argue about it because what the hell do we know.  Talking about the underline issue, I think that is definitely something growers should discuss openly and freely.  After all, the topic isn't about either pepper but our right to call ourselves a community.  If we are a community, we must establish a sense of common ethics.  Without that, are we really a community?  I know, my hippie dippy side is coming out again.
I agree with you, but you'll always see when there's money involved that certain people will break these community ethics, which is kind of sad.

fert, that is the thing that really confuses the heck out of me.  Other than the occasional new Guinness title, I dont know that there is all that much money in seed stock.  I could be wrong, just doesnt seem like enough for all the bs.  Now hot sauces that make a serious name for themselves sure.  But a year after someone introduces a new pepper, so many other people are growing the thing and then sharing or selling the seeds.

Now keep in mind, my family farm is tiny compared to a lot of seed sellers.  I could have it all wrong.

Back