• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking New Smokers

I am looking to buy a new smoker this year just for me and the family. Nothing crazy. Looking to spend 400-600 bucks. Anything I should be looking at?

I have the Bradley digital 4 rack smoker. I picked it up a couple months ago. So far I have made jerky and baby back ribs. So far everything has tasted pretty good and the smoker is easy to use. Very happy with my purchase!

For a budget of 4-6 hundy, I'd look seriously at a kamado style smoker. Extremely versatile. Smoke. Que. Grill. Bake. Big Green Egg brand is more expensive but several other brands are in your price range.

If your looking to get a dedicated smoker and already have a grill I would suggest a 18.5 WSM for $300.

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-721001-Smokey-Mountain-Cooker/dp/B001I8ZTJ0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333476364&sr=8-1

If you want to expand your cooking area a bit hop on ebay and pick up a ProQ STACKER for another $50 or so.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRO-Q-BBQ-PROQ-WSM-STACKER-FOR-WEBER-SMOKEY-MOUNTAIN-NEW-IN-BOX-/290665949432?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43ad0a68f8

Basically the WSM has 2 cooking grates and the stacker simply adds a 3rd grate. This will give you a total of 18x3 or 54" of total cooking space which is huge. Plus you will be able to save on fuel by removing the stacker when you don't need it.

If you really want to go for broke then pickup a 5 cfm stoker for you WSM for about $350 with sensor probe and wire grommet.

https://www.rocksbarbque.com/

Once you add the stoker you will have a competition ready smoker that will control temps with amazing accuracy for up to 12 hours of cooking at a time. This is the exact setup I use and what most successful competition teams use as well. In fact the number 1 ranked team for 2012 "Slap yo Daddy" is who I learned to cook from and use this exact setup.

http://www.kcbs.us/pointschase.php

Bump on this thread - I am in the process of deciding what to buy. I've had smoke/grill in the past and it was really great. I needed something new and wanted more of a grill a Santa Marie type to explore other grilling horizons fast forward to summer and I am getting requests for bbq. I am looking at a few different models and having anxiety trying to decide on what should be a simple thing.
I have gotten it down to 4 choices:
1.) WSM bullet - Charcoal
2.) Great outdoor Smokey Mountain - verticle -propane - if I can find the big block otherwise the 3605
3.) Landmann - verticle-propane
4.) Bradley - verticle - electric wood puck
I thought propane or wood puck would be easy(ier) I've used the bullet before long ago and it was small. I kinda like using charcoal for flavor and cost over worrying about having enough gas or cord/pucks. Im not competing other than with my neighbors but I would like to be able to do 4 racks of spares at once and smoking other meats as well would be a bonus. I can grill on my other unit. I dont want to babysit that much although a beer or two while "tending" isnt a bad thing.

I have to make a decision very soon my wife made picnic plans this weekend. Any thoughts would be appreciated as I am getting hung up details.

how much you gonna spend LD?

are you interested in an electric smoker at all...

sure would like to hear some comments on the electric ones...

The bradley is electric that use wood pucks- The only downside I see or read is the heating element dying or cord length

just looked and the replacement heating elements are about ~$25 and a 6' cord is $15...

you are handy enough to make you a long cord if you need one longer than 6'...just use some heavy heave gauge wire and connectors to carry the amperage...

I may have to have a birthday gift this year...haven't had one for the past several.... :)

:lol: my birthday is next week - we are on the same wave length AJ - Mods are easy enough but Im getting to the point where I dont want to muck around to much - set it and forget it and not burn it

Weber smokey Mtn is the best bang for the buck in my opinion, and I dont own one, yet.

A good friend of mine is a Weber fanatic. He owns 6 diff styles of weber grill.

Check out the Weber Virtual Bullet website. They have loads of info.

I am kinda partial to amazingribs.com.

Pauly.

I started on cheap bullet smoker then an offset (ECB, then a Brinkmann Smoke 'N Pit) and finally bought a 22.5" WSM two years ago ($400 at the time - they may be cheaper now). I wish I would have bought the WSM first. It is as close as you can come to set it and forget it with a charcoal/wood cooker. Mine runs somewhere between 8 - 12 hours on 10 lbs of lump charcoal depending on the weather conditions. I also have a Vision Komado, a ceramic grill/smoker which is more versatile, but also more pricey and heavy to move around. I highly recommend the 22.5" WSM.

I cut my teeth on a drum smoker I had made then moved to the ECB side firebox - The WSM are still about 400 for the 22.5" which by my understanding is 6" wider in cooking surface then 18" so laying a full rack down wouldnt need much finagling. ahh... decisions decsions

I used to have a brinkman side box vertical smoker (smoke king) and it ate a lot of charcoal and wood. After reading a lot of reviews about the Chargriller Kamado, which were very positive I decided to purchase 3 weeks ago. I bought it at menards on sale for $250. Its new to the market but there is a lot of information at other bbq forums. Man is that thing efficient without any modifications. I've smoked on it and grilled. It uses hardly any charcoal and is really a set it and forget it. The only negative is that since its new to the market, the long-term durability is unknown. But at 1/4 the price of a Big Green Egg (BGE), I'll risk it. So, my current rating based on price and value is 9 out of 10.

What's most important to YOU. Ease of use, taste of the meat, convenience, or portability?

For me in order of importance was taste of meat, ease of use, portability, then convenience.

Since I was most concerned with how my meat taste I quickly ruled out propane or electric smokers.
Then I wanted something fairly easy to use so I ruled out reverse flow, or smokers with side mounted fire boxes.
Then portability. Since I like to camp, fish, take my smoker to the beach I needed something that could be broken down and transferred easily so I had to remove the larger box smokers since they didn't break down and couldn't be transferred easily.
Lastly I wanted something fairly convenient and simply to use so I wouldn't have to spend 12 hours chained to my smoker just to get good brisket.

So after all that I ended up with the WSM 18.5 with an Pro-Q stacker add-on and a Stoker power draft controller.

It uses coals and wood so the taste is great.
It's easy to setup and use.
It breaks down into multiple sections and fits nicely in a box about 2' tall.
With the add on Pro-Q section I now have 3 18" sections for a total of 54" of cooking space. Where the 22.5 WSM only has 44" of cooking space. I also decided against the 22.5 because although longer I can remove my Pro-Q section when I don't need it and it burns a LOT less fuel than the 22.5". With the extra section on I've done as much as 6 10lb pork butts or 18 slabs of ribs at once.
However my favorite part of the setup is the Stoker Power Draft System. Once you get your coals on all you do is program the temp you want to keep it at and the fan will turn on an off accordingly adjusting the air flow. It can run for up to 12 hours on 2 loads of coals. I was hosting a get together a month or so ago after a diving trip and I got up about 1 hour before we left got the smoker ready and put on a large pork butt. Then I took off to the beach to go diving for about 6 hours. I was telling my buddies that they where in for some good BBQ when we get back and told them I've been cooking it the entire time and they couldn't believe me. Just as we where packing up our gear I get an e-mail on my cell phone saying the pork butt was almost done. 15 min later I pull the meat let it rest while we have a few beers then pull and serve. It came out perfectly and the best part is all I had to do was spend a little time prepping and lighting the coals and the stoker did the rest. Talk about convenient. My buddy was so impressed he ordered the same setup the next day!

I was hoping you would come in to this thread LGHT. I read what you wrote above and I like the ability of adding another section with the Pro-Q and the Stoker, although the stoker would maybe a x-mas present. My concern on the 18" would be rib layout I saw on one website a crazy "S" pattern between two rib racks for 2 racks of ribs. If I use a rack can I fit 3-4 rib slabs on one level or two? also is there much of a heat variation between the first grate to the last (i dont know how many there are)? Do I need to rotate the grates? Im interested in the WSM it is just size I am concerned about. I've never used a rib rack do ribs cook the same as laying flator do I need one?

also LGHT do you need to wrap with the WSM? I tend to do a 3-1-1 or a 1-1-1 with slab and bb's

I use 6 slot rib racks when I do ribs.

rib_grill_rack__76387_zoom.jpg
I start with Spares and trim them down to St. Louis style cuts, but I also cut out the small bones because there is usully very little meat and they just char on the ends anyway. I I've done 18 slabs at once and they all came out perfect. I think the guys that do the crazy S layout cook spares whole, but I never cook whole spares. I do cross stack them from rack to rack so they are slotted, but I don't think it would matter either way. I almost always do 3-2-1, but I prefer to cook them at a fairly low heat at around 200-210.

As far as the stoker it's not "required" and I know a lot of guys who can dial their WSM in to maintain temp for hours without touching it, but for me It was a must have. When I cook big cuts like pork butt or brisket I often set it up and leave the house for several hours while i'm doing other things.

Do you need to add extra time with the rib rack? I read on one board about adding an hour but if using 3-2-1 I would think the braising would take care of any extra time needed

Thanks for your help

Back