• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

New to the board - first sauce of the year - Moruga Mama Lava

I just found this board - what an excellent resource for us chili heads.

I've been growing pods for a few years after my brother-in-law said I couldn't make something that was too hot for him.

This is the year's first sauce.  I keep them simple and scorching.  The vast majority of the peppers in this stuff are moruga scorpions.  I threw in a few Moruga Yellows, some douglahs and a fatali or two because they were all ripe at the same time.

Ingredients:
1.  Peppers
2.  Vingear
3.  Salt
4.  Garlic

Method:
1.  Cut peppers in half
2.  Bring vinegar, salt, and garlic to a boil
3.  Add peppers and boil in vinegar for 15 min
4.  Transfer mixture to food processor and process for a good 5 minutes.
5.  Return mixture to heat and bring to a boil.
6.  Bottle

It is damn hot - A drop or two will take most people out.

photo_2.jpg

THE LABEL:

moruga_mama_lava_2.jpg

I am going to use your recipe for my sauce. Thank You.

Welcome to THP.                                                    From St. Aug.

018cf2cbbf51ed0d6e481b636fc2eb7e_jpg_640x480_upscale_q90.jpg

Made another batch this morning.  Here it is.

The catch of the day ...

photo5.jpg

I had some vinegar left over from the last batch so I saved it.  This was the excess vinegar that was used to boil the peppers.  It was hot enough to hurt people on its own.  I reused it in this batch thinking it can only make it hotter, right?

photo4.jpg

Boiling the peppers ...

photo6.jpg

Through the processor ...

photo7.jpg

Reheating the bottles

photo8.jpg

FINISHED SAUCE:

photo9.jpg

All those peppers yielded 6 1/2 bottles of sauce (5 oz bottles) - That plus the fact that I used Moruga infused vinegar may make this one the hottest I've made yet.

For those peppers - I used about a teaspoon of salt and about two tea spoons of garlic - as for vinegar - cover the peppers and boil them. Add the peppers to a food processor and blend them. Add as much vinegar as you want until it is as thin as you like it.

Back