• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

New to the pepper hobby

Hello all...

I started growing peppers this year and was reading about all the types there were. I wanted to grow the worlds hottest pepper to grow for the hell of it after reading about it. I was fortunate enough to obtain a Naga Jolokia:hell: plant from someone I know. I also was given 2 Zimbabwe Bird Peppers as well. None of the super hots have flowers yet but they are budding.

My Super Chillies, Hungarian Wax, Banana, and Cayenne are all flowering and producing fruit.

Now I am hooked on growing peppers and I want to get more. I am looking for Manzano Red, Orange , and Yellow peppers. I live in Michigan and I have read these peppers live in sub-zero temps. Anyone who can lead me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks from the new guy!

welcom from south TN the rocotos or the manzano- the apple- do better in cold or cool weather but they wont live if the temp drops to zero they will die so if u plant any soon it will be good u may harvest them aroung november. good luck and welcom

Is your plant a Naga Jolokia (Frutescens) or a Naga morich(chinense)? The Chinense are one of the hottest in the world but the real naga jolokia(frutescens) is not too hot. If your not sure take a pic and post it on here. Copy and paste IMG code from photobucket.

The Naga Jolokia is also known as Bhut Jolokia, Ghost Chili, Ghost Pepper, California Death Pepper, Naga Morich.

The Naga Jolokia is also known as Naga Morich in Bangladesh and Bih Jolokia in the Indian state of Assam (Bih = 'poison', Jolokia = 'chili pepper'; in Assamese). Other names are Bhut Jolokia (Bhut = 'ghost', probably due to its ghostly bite or introduction by the Bhutias from Bhutan poison chili), Oo-Morok in Manipur (Oo = 'Tree', 'Oo' pronounced as in Book, Morok = 'Chilli'), Borbih Jolokia, Nagahari, Nagajolokia, Naga Moresh and Raja Mirchi ('King of Chillies'). Regardless of the nomenclature, they all refer to the same plant.

So that said, I would have to say they are one in the same.

The Bhut, Morich and Bih might all be the same but the true, Naga Jolokia(Frutescens) is different. People sometimes call the others Naga Jolokia but that isn't the proper name for the chinense variety.

chillilover said:
The Bhut, Morich and Bih might all be the same but the true, Naga Jolokia(Frutescens) is different. People sometimes call the others Naga Jolokia but that isn't the proper name for the chinense variety.

Well I'm growing both this year from 2 different seed stocks. I will let you know. As far as the manzanos go, you will be able to grow them longer, however they will nt survive a Mich. winter.
If potted in a pot, the could be brought inside and grown under lights, but thats a different thread and forum on this sight.:)

the artist said:
Anyone ever grow the Aji Lemon Drop Pepper? And if so where did you get the seeds for the plants?

I'm growing them for the first time this year. The first pods are more than 3" long now but still green. They seem to be good producers. I got some of my seeds from Chiliac (hey, come back, man! :( ), some from ebay and for next year some from Novacastrian.

imaguitargod said:
Oh god, not another Naga debate!!

: dives behind the bed :

: finds old sock growing mold :

: makes a sock pizza :

patrick said:
Is the Aji Lemon Drop same as a Lemon Drop? I am growing the latter.

imaguitargod said:
Oh god, not another Naga debate!

The Lemon Drop debate is about the same as the Naga debate. Some sources say that Lemon drop, Aji Lemon, Aji Lemon drop and Hot Lemon are synonyms for the same variety, others say, they're different strains of the same variety, others say they're different varieties. Who knows?

Back