• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest New Year's TD Ideas

SD, coho and silver are the same fish as is king and chinook. Copper River? Boo. That's pure marketing. Not once have I ever met any Alaskan or lower 48er that could tell the difference between Copper, Kenai, Nushagak, Kvichak, or any other Alaskan river king, silver, or sockeye.

As far as caviar or what we'd call ikura, the best is made from fresh chum/dog salmon. Fantastic stuff when made fresh, the eggs literally pop with flavor and not fishy or salty at all. We'd toss the stuff into scrambled eggs or mix with mayo, minced shallot and capers and use it as a spread. Once you taste it all you can think about is getting a bigger spoon to shovel the stuff in.

The health benefits for eating salmon either wild or farmed are literally off the charts. I even keep a stash of cheap canned salmon around at all times. If I were limited to but one source of protein, salmon would be it. To me its the most versatile of all culinary flesh that swims, crawls, fly's, or walks. Ain't no nooky, like chinooky!

Whoops! I almost forgot, you're the Salmon guru. That should explain the dumb-ass look on my face. :mope:
You cook (at the same time) any two fish caught, from different waters, at different times in their life cycles, and I will be able to tell the difference. period.
Salmon is Salmon is Salmon, just depends on the above criteria.
Saying Chinook is the best, is like saying Macintosh apples picked the first week of October are the best. Not always true. Rarrrrr

So this TD is Pizza? hmmm I'll eat good!

I am doing this one for my mom, literally. She asked me for a specific pizza and that is what I am going to enter. It may not be the most creative, but what the heck, it is going to be good and if mom wants it, mom gets it.

Boooo sappy mom story for votes.

Not for votes, for real. I probably have no shot, but I am going to do it anyway. She doesn't do MUCH heat, this will be pushing the envelope for her.

You have a shot unless Mom likes spaghettiOs with mini meat balls on her pie.

hmmm, I have the ultimate pie-

bacon and tatertots!

geeme will put her meat bust on a pie... WIN!

if anyone, and I mean ANYONE, uses tater tots on their pizza other than me, the wrath of Mrs. Ore Ida will strike you down where you stand

Heya, 15 - We'd love to see you join in!

The TD's typically begin on the first Friday of the month, and run through some time on Sunday, so January's will start on January 6. On that day, THP will post a Begin! thread that will have the specific rules for that TD. I recommend that you check out a few past TD threads in advance of that. Also, THP has pinned the general rules (which may be modified by the specific rules) at the top of the TD threads now, so you'll want to be sure to read through those.

if anyone, and I mean ANYONE, uses tater tots on their pizza other than me, the wrath of Mrs. Ore Ida will strike you down where you stand

I agree! Wheebz should get the nod on the tot pizza. Everyone else just STAND BACK on that one!
(add some spent grains to the dough)

I could handle another pizza throwdown!
It would be a powerhouse of a competition, but SoFlo is up for it...we are regulars on the pizza thread.

I'm going Coal-Fired!!!

wheebz make one giant tater tot as a topping... basically use a round frying pan, shred the taters, and make a huge hash brown, slap it on the pie as a topping with lots of other goodies. Seriously. Could be good.

He won a crown that way already. Now he needs to do homemade or we'll boo him.

Back