• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest New Year's TD Ideas

dang...sorry I missed that one...oh well...

G, there's a problem in your code

public class THP_TD_thread{
private Person wheebz;
private Person salsalady;
private Person scovie;

public static void main (String [] args){
. while (all_THP_BP_Use = 0)
if (wheebz = confused){
. salsalady = give_hard_time;
}
scovie = drink_more;
}
}

FIFY

LOL - True dat!

And THP - Agreed, for the most part. But a good slab of well-seasoned, just-seared salmon steak (or tuna steak, for that matter) is excellent, too.

..... On wheebz's first day in SoFloLand, he whips up a manatee pizza, showing up even the hard-core SoFlo-Ites, winning the hearts and minds of all THP-ers.....

I'm with AJ. Cooked salmon tastes like cat food. Smoked, and sushi, I dig though.

Boss your forgetting cured, not for pizza, really, but would rock an hors'deurves TD.
AJ, can't hate on salmon. The flavor is way better than any white fish and more versatile. I mean how many times have you seen smoked halibut? Plus its pizza, people put caviar on pizza so why not salmon!? Lets not forget, you can get creative with the dough itsself. Geeme (I think) dough recipe is good but you could do a thin crust, cracker crust, you could put herbs and other things in it to help the flavor of the salmon. Of course I'm sure you know this. Just saying don't discount salmon especially WA salmon. :)
Aaron

I had rather eat mullet than salmon...fried or smoked mullet from southwest Florida around the 10,000 islands is the best thing I have ever put in my mouth...mullet tastes different on the east coast....

caviar?.....YUCK

I had rather eat mullet than salmon...fried or smoked mullet from southwest Florida around the 10,000 islands is the best thing I have ever put in my mouth...mullet tastes different on the east coast....

caviar?.....YUCK

I give you a +1 for the caviar comment but take it away for the mullet comment. :)
Aaron

"mullet"? really? Sounds wonderful! If you have to fry it or smoke it to choke it down, that proves that Salmon is better!
I see your 'mullet' and raise you to a 2" thick Copper River, Silver, King, Coho, or Chinook steak, just waved over the grill with just a drop or two of lemon juice.... PERFECTION!

just ribbing AJ, I would try anything you cook. true story.

Caviar? I'd rather eat Rock Salt marinated in Brine, with a sea salt crust.

"mullet"? really? Sounds wonderful! If you have to fry it or smoke it to choke it down, that proves that Salmon is better!
I see your 'mullet' and raise you to a 2" thick Copper River, Silver, King, Coho, or Chinook steak, just waved over the grill with just a drop or two of lemon juice.... PERFECTION!

just ribbing AJ, I would try anything you cook. true story.

Caviar? I'd rather eat Rock Salt marinated in Brine, with a sea salt crust.

SD, coho and silver are the same fish as is king and chinook. Copper River? Boo. That's pure marketing. Not once have I ever met any Alaskan or lower 48er that could tell the difference between Copper, Kenai, Nushagak, Kvichak, or any other Alaskan river king, silver, or sockeye.

As far as caviar or what we'd call ikura, the best is made from fresh chum/dog salmon. Fantastic stuff when made fresh, the eggs literally pop with flavor and not fishy or salty at all. We'd toss the stuff into scrambled eggs or mix with mayo, minced shallot and capers and use it as a spread. Once you taste it all you can think about is getting a bigger spoon to shovel the stuff in.

The health benefits for eating salmon either wild or farmed are literally off the charts. I even keep a stash of cheap canned salmon around at all times. If I were limited to but one source of protein, salmon would be it. To me its the most versatile of all culinary flesh that swims, crawls, fly's, or walks. Ain't no nooky, like chinooky!

wild king, silver or sockeye--I could eat every day and not get tired.

most farm-raised atlantic = tilapia with a cheap dye-job (unfit for human consumption) and an ecological disaster.

most people consider mullet trash fish or bait....but some of us poor people from the gulf coast that didn't know we were poor loved it better than anything else...

and all mullet does not taste the same...there is something about the gulf coast of Florida that makes it special...

so....has there been a decision about what the NYE throwdown is going to be?....I will have to shop before we leave for Christmas...

It's pizza, and get creative, this ain't no time for the cheese pie!

Braised short rib and sweet capsicum pizza.

oh, and I have eaten mullet (that I caught in Italy)--not bad. The sun-dried roe is excellent (bottarga). Pinched for cash I'd rather eat sardines, though.

Back