• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Next to My Chair

Been thinking about it.. pretty sure I'm growing peppers because I'm bored.  Like, deeply, existentially bored.  Plus, a little harmless pain never hurt anybody, right?  Hell, it's probably even good for you.  We'll see if those are good enough reasons, I guess.  I bought me some "Scotch Bonnet Orange" seeds from Amazon before I found you fine folk, lurked around here for a while, then planted them anyway along with other, infinitely less suspect seeds I ordered from far flung places around the globe(!) as recommended by the very venerable Vendor Vault.  I've got them growing here by my chair.  I sit here and read. (The wall to my right as I took this picture is lined with bookshelves I'm slowing filling as I try to forget the world each afternoon.  Mostly scifi the last few years.)  It would be distracting to have a big boxy tent looming over me, so I've just got them sitting there on a cardboard box.  I hope to replace the box with a little table here soon.
20190111_225735.jpg

My rig consists of something like a quarter of the full Amazon Indoor Garden of Tomorrow-orrow-orrow-orrow ®.  This LED light I got is something else, man.  It's REALLY bright!  Paper towel germination, used a few Jiffy pellets, stuck some seeds straight in some old Miracle Grow I had, kept them in the Jiffy box there until they sprouted.  I'm glad to be rid of that Jiffy dome now; it was a pain in the ass.  Ahh.. let's see.. I'm mixing CNS17 Grow into RO/DI water, testing and adjusting up with GH pH kit, pouring it over my little darlings there in about 3:1 coco:perlite.  Just culled and potted up today to 3.5 inches.  All seems to be going well except for some slight canoeing of leaves, which I'm ready to blame on the 24% humidity (We wake up half mummified in the winter.  I know - grow tent.) and a few early spills on my rug.  Trying to keep it simple and not drive myself crazier futzing with dozens of parameters here, so I'm not going to sweat it unless things turn worse.  I'm not!  Worry verges on religion with me, so this will either be therapeutic or turn out to have been a bad idea.. 
Any and all comments or criticisms are very welcome and I thank you all most warmly for having me and schooling me and reading my noodlings! 
20190111_225625.jpg

Hey Uncle E.  It's looking mighty green next to your chair.  Gotta be nice having that around.  I'm less concerned after seeing the leaves in normal light.  The margins don't look as prominent and I see some of the typical minor IC/MC stuff on some other plants that clearly isn't BLS, but would be consistent with what shows up on the subject.  I can't rule anything out, but like I said I'm less concerned - the back-lit shots looked a bit scary.

Some things I'd consider if/while unsure would be keeping humidity from getting too high, preventing direct contact with the other plants, handling it last before washing hands, being careful with tools, and even temporarily moving it to a location with more moderate light (also helps with isolation). This may or may not be necessary, but any or all can't hurt.

I haven't confirmed this anywhere other than personal experience, but think moving the plant to more moderate light can take some of the growth stress off the plant and decrease the demand for relocation of mobile nutrients to the canopy that causes the "nutrient leaching" damage to the older leaves. Then you can see if there's any abatement.

Cheers man.  Great seeing all the pics!

Thanks, CaneDog.  I've banished all lepers to the next room.  The worst off are under a 30W Sansi, those less affected are in south windows.  

Four MOA Scotch Bonnets, two Scotch Bonnet Freeport Orange, one P.Dreadie I'm watching closely, two cayenne, two baby Aji Lemon, and two baby Purple UFO remain next to my chair. Not so crowded anymore. 

Ohh yeah that reminds me to take a pic of the couple I have to show ya. Most of mine I cut down smaller and chop off alot of the foliage so it puts more energy into making roots and not keep all that other shhhtuff alive, I am certainly not even close to being a pro when it comes to the clone wars though.

Uncle_Eccoli said:
Trying again to get some cayenne cuttings to take.  First two attempts yielded no results.

I stick branches in a bottle of water or nutrient solution and put in a south facing window. They start growing roots very quickly. This picture is after a couple weeks in the soak. The thing is 22" tall now, 2½ months after I clipped the branch from an OW plant. I'll pot it up before too long.

7tc3iSH.jpg

Went out and got the bins.  I'm not spending $20 on a weird sized hole saw I'll never use for anything else, so I hold a jar ring in place on the lid and run the pointy end of a scribe compass round and round until it scratches through. 

Edit: 
20190403_132744.jpg

Gonna be a bit of a bugga moving those bad boys around, but at least those should take away any worry of rabbits you have Eccoli.

Doing one plant per bin type thing?

If it ever comes to moving them, find something you can slide them across...like old ply wood you can wet down with water and dish soap or something...anything to help take the load off your back or having to drag them across the ground.

One plant per, yeah.  Why would I move them? To get them in shade or something?  I was even thinking I might bury them halfway.  No moving 'em then..

They'll weigh about 200lbs.  I'll probably call in some help if I have to move them.  Plywood's a good idea, thanks! 

Edit: Or what say I get a spare bin and pump the fluid from the original to the new one in the new location?  Then just move the lid. 

Uncle_Eccoli said:
One plant per, yeah.  Why would I move them? To get them in shade or something?  I was even thinking I might bury them halfway.  No moving 'em then..

They'll weigh about 200lbs.  I'll probably call in some help if I have to move them.  Plywood's a good idea, thanks! 

Edit: Or what say I get a spare bin and pump the fluid from the original to the new one in the new location?  Then just move the lid. 

Could move them for whatever reason, but aye shade being one of them I spose.

And I couldn't give ya an answer on the pump thing, like of course you could do so, but I have zero experience with a kratky so no ida how the roots would be on that....might be best if someone else chimed in on it perhaps.

It's not a bad idea though about sticking it somewhat into the ground, it would certainly help keep the temps down abit for ya. I always though warm liquids, water for instance, had very low oxygen levels?? If so not sure how that would affect the plants in a Kratky set up, again maybe best someone else took a shot at that one.

I would assume that most Kratkys get luke warm or better to a degree anyways, but I haven't really looked around to see any big ones that were outdoors, with the sun beating down on them to boot eh.

CDNmatt said:
I would assume that most Kratkys get luke warm or better to a degree anyways, but I haven't really looked around to see any big ones that were outdoors, with the sun beating down on them to boot eh.

I think this is even the same container.  A larger net cup would be ideal, but I want to be able to just drop in one of my jar plants.  I guess I could get larger net cups and set the three-inch cups from the jars inside them, but then I'd have to buy more Hydroton, too..

https://youtu.be/8uqOtp7mWf4

Back