• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Next to My Chair

Been thinking about it.. pretty sure I'm growing peppers because I'm bored.  Like, deeply, existentially bored.  Plus, a little harmless pain never hurt anybody, right?  Hell, it's probably even good for you.  We'll see if those are good enough reasons, I guess.  I bought me some "Scotch Bonnet Orange" seeds from Amazon before I found you fine folk, lurked around here for a while, then planted them anyway along with other, infinitely less suspect seeds I ordered from far flung places around the globe(!) as recommended by the very venerable Vendor Vault.  I've got them growing here by my chair.  I sit here and read. (The wall to my right as I took this picture is lined with bookshelves I'm slowing filling as I try to forget the world each afternoon.  Mostly scifi the last few years.)  It would be distracting to have a big boxy tent looming over me, so I've just got them sitting there on a cardboard box.  I hope to replace the box with a little table here soon.
20190111_225735.jpg

My rig consists of something like a quarter of the full Amazon Indoor Garden of Tomorrow-orrow-orrow-orrow ®.  This LED light I got is something else, man.  It's REALLY bright!  Paper towel germination, used a few Jiffy pellets, stuck some seeds straight in some old Miracle Grow I had, kept them in the Jiffy box there until they sprouted.  I'm glad to be rid of that Jiffy dome now; it was a pain in the ass.  Ahh.. let's see.. I'm mixing CNS17 Grow into RO/DI water, testing and adjusting up with GH pH kit, pouring it over my little darlings there in about 3:1 coco:perlite.  Just culled and potted up today to 3.5 inches.  All seems to be going well except for some slight canoeing of leaves, which I'm ready to blame on the 24% humidity (We wake up half mummified in the winter.  I know - grow tent.) and a few early spills on my rug.  Trying to keep it simple and not drive myself crazier futzing with dozens of parameters here, so I'm not going to sweat it unless things turn worse.  I'm not!  Worry verges on religion with me, so this will either be therapeutic or turn out to have been a bad idea.. 
Any and all comments or criticisms are very welcome and I thank you all most warmly for having me and schooling me and reading my noodlings! 
20190111_225625.jpg

CaneDog said:
Hey E have you looked at the later pages of the 2017 GT re the Lemon Drop?  Because when you first suggested that as an option for your double-barreled 32g kratky grow that's exactly what my thoughts went to.  Some of those were absolute beasts.

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/63073-growdown-throwdown-2017-aji-lemon-drop/page-1?hl=%202017%20%20growdown
I remember reading they're very productive.

Say, assume for a moment all these sequestered plants really are infected with BLS. Would any pods produced be safe to eat?

Uncle_Eccoli said:
I remember reading they're very productive.

Say, assume for a moment all these sequestered plants really are infected with BLS. Would any pods produced be safe to eat?

Sure, as safe as your heat tolerance.  :mouthonfire:   If it shows up on the fruit itself I might be inclined to cut out the spot or just chuck that one, but nah, no issue.  Way too prevalent outdoors for it to be an issue.

CaneDog said:

Sure, as safe as your heat tolerance.  :mouthonfire:   If it shows up on the fruit itself I might be inclined to cut out the spot or just chuck that one, but nah, no issue.  Way too prevalent outdoors for it to be an issue.
Sweet.

I skimmed and read through the 2017 Growdown thread last night. Rich's plant was incredible. I'll be happy to do as well as any of those guys.

Beginning to feel daunted by the plan to plant in the ground.  I had a guy out - removing the trees would cost far more than I'm willing to pay.  Even having them limbed up is more expensive than I can really justify for this..  I'd have to limb the trees myself, and I'm no arborist.  Not saying I won't do it, just, like I said, daunted.

So I'm thinking about 5-gallon buckets and cheapish organic soil and compost from a big box.  This is only for the ten plants I've got sequestered.  The others will be in 5- or 32-gallon Kratky buckets on the deck.

Did a quick and dirty pH test of the soil where I'd plant in the ground a couple days ago and got about 5.0.  Just consider it a datum in the question of ground or dirt buckets, I guess.

That BLS candidate hasn't by chance gotten a little too much sun? I mist my starts every day, one morning got up late and the sun was already on 'e when I misted, got a bit of scald on a Big Apple Red Rocoto, looks kinda like what you got there...

I'd like to think so. It could only be that he got too much sun for him, though; he got the same treatment as everybody else.  He's grown new leaves since I put him in the corner, besides, and all have gone sickly. 
It was only these mystery plants for the longest time and not knowing BLS from gonorrhea (or what I'm doing in general) I assumed it was a nutrient deficiency of some sort and just got on with it.  I noticed other plants showing it eventually.  Eventually, I even noticed it was the plants neighboring these cankerous quickie-mart bastards.  I said I was going to cull them out a few times and never did..

I ate this guy a few minutes ago.  Very mild bonnet flavor (never had one, going off Grace's Scotch bonnet sauce) and low heat, maybe like a spicy jalapeño.  There was no heat at all in the flesh, only the pith and seeds. 

20190410_165731.jpg

Uncle_Eccoli said:

Beginning to feel daunted by the plan to plant in the ground.  I had a guy out - removing the trees would cost far more than I'm willing to pay.  Even having them limbed up is more expensive than I can really justify for this..  I'd have to limb the trees myself, and I'm no arborist.  Not saying I won't do it, just, like I said, daunted.

So I'm thinking about 5-gallon buckets and cheapish organic soil and compost from a big box.  This is only for the ten plants I've got sequestered.  The others will be in 5- or 32-gallon Kratky buckets on the deck.

Did a quick and dirty pH test of the soil where I'd plant in the ground a couple days ago and got about 5.0.  Just consider it a datum in the question of ground or dirt buckets, I guess.

Are you thinking to drop some perlite in with those buckets for drainage and to reduce compaction?

Uncle_Eccoli said:
I'd like to think so. It could only be that he got too much sun for him, though; he got the same treatment as everybody else.  He's grown new leaves since I put him in the corner, besides, and all have gone sickly. 
It was only these mystery plants for the longest time and not knowing BLS from gonorrhea (or what I'm doing in general) I assumed it was a nutrient deficiency of some sort and just got on with it.  I noticed other plants showing it eventually.  Eventually, I even noticed it was the plants neighboring these cankerous quickie-mart bastards.  I said I was going to cull them out a few times and never did..

Man, it sucks to deal with these situations, but it's a learning experience and it's helpful for all of us that you're putting up pictures and talking about how things are progressing.  A lot of people post "is this BLS?!" but you never hear about what happened after. Thanks for the follow up.  So many of your plants look super healthy and that goes a long way toward stopping the spread of BLS, if you were to actually have it.  I hope not.

I thought I'd mix potting mix, compost, and perlite.  Not sure about ratios..  3:1:1?  Groping on that..

Yeah, it's not ideal, but I've made my peace with it.  I've got several "clean" plants yet.  Whatever happens with those sequestered happens.  If I get a bunch of pods, great. If not, I've still got those favored plants. 

Uncle_Eccoli said:

Yes, all of this is a little daunting but it's just a thang Unc. I've definitely been daunted with all this while walking the line between monster plants growing in tube socks and getting frostbit.

Trimming trees is not so daunting for me. I wish I could twist off and come help you get rid of a bit of shade. This is my overwinter front yard pile of tree trimmings. Need to burn this puppy soon and do the quick release on all the carbon.

MNn7mxQ.jpg

If you go shopping for dirt, look into pine fines. Makes great potting soil and only costs about $3 for a 2 c.f. bag. Add perlite, compost, composted manure, whatever, and you're golden.

Uncle_Eccoli said:
I thought I'd mix potting mix, compost, and perlite.  Not sure about ratios..  3:1:1?  Groping on that..

I like those numbers.  The potting mix already has some perlite in it, but likely not enough especially with adding the compost.  You're sitting right around the numbers on a mix I've used before with good results.

DWB said:

If you go shopping for dirt, look into pine fines. Makes great potting soil and only costs about $3 for a 2 c.f. bag. Add perlite, compost, composted manure, whatever, and you're golden.

Thx for the reminder DWB.  I've wanted to try pine fines, but they seem less available around here and more expensive.  I should actually put some effort into seeing if that's really the case or just lazy research on my part.

Thanks, guys.  Having a hard time deciding.  Plant in acidic dirt or water pots with alkaline water?  No idea how much I'd have to water plants in the ground, but they'd get the alkaline water, too, of course.  Maybe I'll just do some of each and take notes for next year. 

CaneDog said:

Thx for the reminder DWB.  I've wanted to try pine fines, but they seem less available around here and more expensive.  I should actually put some effort into seeing if that's really the case or just lazy research on my part.

I doubt you'd find this brand out your way but it's good stuff. Tiny pieces and very compostey. I've been using it for many years. The price never goes up so that's a good thing.

uVps882.jpg

Back