• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

NFTG, Nectar for the Gods nutrient line for HOT PEPPERS

I've got a box I am planning on using next year on a test plot vs normal in ground plants.  Looking forward to seeing how it works.

Justosmo said:
I've been using herculean harest in conjunction with medusas magic to great success all season. Really like their product line so far.
Are you using another line with the Herc and Medusa's? Do you find that you have to ph it if so?

millworkman said:
I've got a box I am planning on using next year on a test plot vs normal in ground plants.  Looking forward to seeing how it works.
When you say box, you mean the sample box?
If that is the case, and you intend to go through the whole feed schedule for an honest and true evaluation, be prepared to fork out some more cashola. Youre going to certainly need more Herc and probably olympus up and BK too. BK is the most expensive product in the line as well. I think the sample box is really cool and a good idea. You get the basics as well as some smaller sized samples of BK and Olympus, plus its just good marketing. I dont think you need the whole line to be successful, but you will definately need more than what came in that sample box at some point in your grow.

I am starting this thread for us growers who are already using this line as well as those who may in the future. For those who are unfamiliar with the name or line, it is a nutrient line based on the calcium molecules as the vector to feed the plant. Originally created with the canna growers in mind, many other cultivars have adopted it for their own, including myself for hot peppers.The line is manufactured by Oregons only, https://www.oregonsonly.com/
and is available through many a grow shops. I have posted a couple of videos in the past and will also do so again here as they relate specifically to the thread. There are a lot of products available from this line and are not all necessary for a great crop. Some of the products Scott does not even recommend but makes because other growers want them (epic supply ans demand).

If anyone is interested in trying the line, you can have a case of the Advanced line shipped to you and all it will cost you is the shipping itself. To initiate this, email Scott Ostrander at organicgrower@oregonsonlyorgan
and he will set you up.

When using this line there are a few issues that you will need to be aware of in order to get the most from the line. one is pH. pH is extremely important in your base water source as well as your growing media. 6.3-6.7 is optimal when using NFTG nutrients. your TDS also becomes very important and a good pH / TDS meter is essential in monitoring both.

Last year I started using the line and went at it kind of blind and because of that, probably over fertilized my plants. What did not happen is they did not burn up and I did not encounter nutrient lockout. I merely laid off the nuts for awhile and allowed time rain to balance everything out. And when it did, Wow!
Last year was my best grow and this year will be better providing no outside forces intervene.
Forgive me if I missed it, but what is your growing method? Are you doing hydro or soil? What is your growing media?

SteelHeat said:
Are you using another line with the Herc and Medusa's? Do you find that you have to ph it if so?
I also use neptunes harvest. I kinda go herculean harvest once a week every week and do either medusas magic and neptunes harvest once a week alternating the two. Also do straight water flushes every two weeks kinda.

I do have their pH up and down solutions but haven't seen the need to adjust the pH.

I'm growing in containers also. Using promix.

Justosmo said:
I also use neptunes harvest. I kinda go herculean harvest once a week every week and do either medusas magic and neptunes harvest once a week alternating the two. Also do straight water flushes every two weeks kinda.

I do have their pH up and down solutions but haven't seen the need to adjust the pH.

I'm growing in containers also. Using promix.
According to the manufacturers, the PH of the nutrients are quite high, and they claim that PH adjustment is absolutely necessary. (which I am inclined to believe) Calcium is the vector for their nutrient base, and it is based off of a digested limestone, which has a PH of around 13, and comprises roughly 15% of the nutrient base. While it is broken down to an available form, they claim that it will continue to break down - due to the humic and fulvic acids, also contained in the product - thus causing a shift. A roaming PH buffer is recommended.

This is one of the main reasons I have not chosen liquid nutrients in the past. But I have decided to test this product, as an experiment.

What I'm really wondering, is if I can use one of the products by itself, once or twice a month, for the advantage of the supplemental Calcium, and preferably, nitrogen. This is especially valuable to me, as I prefer coco coir, and have to regularly supply the calcium. I also amend my dry fertilizers with extra humic acid.

solid7 said:
According to the manufacturers, the PH of the nutrients are quite high, and they claim that PH adjustment is absolutely necessary. (which I am inclined to believe) Calcium is the vector for their nutrient base, and it is based off of a digested limestone, which has a PH of around 13, and comprises roughly 15% of the nutrient base. While it is broken down to an available form, they claim that it will continue to break down - due to the humic and fulvic acids, also contained in the product - thus causing a shift. A roaming PH buffer is recommended.

This is one of the main reasons I have not chosen liquid nutrients in the past. But I have decided to test this product, as an experiment.

What I'm really wondering, is if I can use one of the products by itself, once or twice a month, for the advantage of the supplemental Calcium, and preferably, nitrogen. This is especially valuable to me, as I prefer coco coir, and have to regularly supply the calcium. I also amend my dry fertilizers with extra humic acid.
Maybe it's because I'm flushing my containers once every two weeks and only using the medusa magic once every two weeks that I don't see any ph issues.

The Herculean Harvest doesn't have any pH warnings like medusas magic does either so maybe it doesn't cause major ph issues.

Sorry, been really busy and have not been in here much lately.

I will touch base again on Monday when I get back from my tactical carbine course this weekend. been focused on that and plants in spare time. At that time I will address whatever questions were asked. And no, I didn't notice any kind of hijacking of the thread. The context was still on topic, so hijack away.

At any rate, I sprung for the trial. I told them what I was growing in, how I was growing, and my crop, and based on all of those parameters, they put me together a recommendation - which comprised about 5 or 6 products - and gave me a shipping quote of $29.

I really can't go wrong with a trial for that price. It's small scale, and that's cheap entertainment. I live out of town for 3 days of every week, so I'll start my experiment at my away house...

Thought this may be useful for those that dont have it already. The kraken is missing, but its not widely available anyway.
0Kq35M8.jpg

This season I did get some of base line of the 4 main nutes (got a sampling from a friend). Early on I used it but my plants were really stressing out. I can't blame the nutes for it as it coincided with their transplant. Plus the soil I put them in was already used last year (FF OF) and "recharged" with some solids...So were they over-ferted or transplant stressed? Don't know so I just refrained from fertilizing for the past few months, plants didn't seem any worse for wear and grew at a predictable pace and have been producing (except for my Hawaiians). After battling a aphid invasion, all of my plants have been over watered hence flushing my soil. So just yesterday I decided to hit them with a low dose of the 4 (don't have much on hand to begin with). Some plants are in plastic pots, some are in fabric pots and my best specimens are in self watering buckets. So for the self watering buckets, I applied the mixture to the soil as well as to the water chamber...but diluted in the chamber.
-
This morning I noticed my plants are very perky. Leaves erect and full instead of the typical droop of an average healthy leaf. Is this good, bad? I don't know yet. Just that I noticed a reaction and difference in my plants that was quite pronounced. Will be monitoring closely. Again mind you, this was all low-end dosage (1-3 tsp = 1 tsp) as I'm trying to stretch out what I have. Hopefully I'll get enough in the sample I just ordered to finish a full cycle. Really interested in this stuff, they seem to really be into what they do and seem like good people, very generous.
-
I got so many different ferts that I lose track sometimes, some cost too much, some cheap and some free...But really going to stick with these and see how it goes. Will be updating.

Interesting to read this. I am going to run this experiment, and I like sub-irrigated planters. I talked to Scott, and he did recommend against it, but I get the impression that they have a very different clientele as their target. Be that as it may, I'm sampling the line to help stabilize a new phenotype quickly, but secretly planned to try it in my autonomous containers, as well... I have a couple that are "nothing to lose" specimens. :)

For my self watering buckets, they for sure aren't 'auto pilot'...I do let the chamber go dry between fill-ups. I'll top water a little then I'll fill the chamber. I think this cycling helps a lot. I can see how it would be a soggy mess if the chamber was kept full all the time. The real benefit comes when its super hot out. Having a full chamber with roots directly submerged helps tons. My standard potted plants can't keep up and droop even though watered well and have to recover overnight. The SWB's don't even blink. When the weather cools down, I let the chamber stay dry longer, I top water and hear the run-off tinkling into the chamber; perfect. Gotta kind of have to balance things. The plants speak very clearly when it comes to water needs.

Yeah, I agree with you on the sub-irrigated planters performing better through consistency. My only difference from your method, is that I have the reservoirs plumbed to a water line, and it's on timer. So I get the advantage of a "reservoir flush" with every watering.

No disruption in watering for me, has meant plants that show none of the signs of nutrient deficiencies. (the kind that are mostly caused by watering fluctuations)

I thought about doing that, I mean if you really think about it what we are really doing is a quasi hydroponic/soil grow which is pretty cool. I just hate futzing with the pH level though, I have to fill up 6, 5 gallon buckets and adjust things down. Just time consuming as my hose has a filter on it for the cholramines and junk. Can't wait for my sample pack, should be interesting. Maybe it will stop my larger peppers from end-rotting!

Yeah, I hear you. I have used only dry amendments so far. Moldy coffee grounds, ground eggshells, off the shelf organic ferts, and guanos. I even found some interesting tricks on the weed forum for layering amendments in, based on where the roots will be at a given time during the grow. Unfortunately, it's a pioneering effort for growing peppers, instead of medicinal herbs. :D

The new "brave frontier" in plant growth and research is for sure our herb growers. Some really interesting stuff going on but also a lot of marketing "gimmickery" as well, fairly easy to spot though and sometimes laughable. But over all, they've really done a fine job in cutting edge technology and research. I think NftG is a big player in that arena which translates to a quality product. Watching their Youtube videos, they really seem to understand nutrient delivery and aren't afraid to put it all out there for review.
-

The new "brave frontier" in plant growth and research is for sure our herb growers. Some really interesting stuff going on but also a lot of marketing "gimmickery" as well, fairly easy to spot though and sometimes laughable. But over all, they've really done a fine job in cutting edge technology and research. I think NftG is a big player in that arena which translates to a quality product. Watching their Youtube videos, they really seem to understand nutrient delivery and aren't afraid to put it all out there for review.
-
What sold me even more wasn't just their nutrients, but some of the "ninja" level growing hacks that they shared with me. Little things that are easy to overlook, but make a big difference...

Back