• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Not all good BBQ is meat!

Believe it or not I actually grill fish quite often so I can enjoy meat on the weekends. Judging 2 KCBS comps this weekend so had to go light last night.

Grilled swordfish, marinated and grilled tofu (don't knock it till you try it) and finished it off with some shrimp kabobs and a light salad. Of course had to have it with a Modelo.

sword.jpg

That swordfish is every bit meat as a rib-eye, and just as hardy! Yuuummmmmmm.
One of CJ's all time favorite foods is Tofu cubed up like yours, then marinated in teriyaki sauce fo a day,
or over night, then grilled. The sugars from the teriyaki sauce burn and makes one heeluva nice crust... Delish!

Nice meal you have right there LGHT.

ya umm fish is meat! looks good . in faxt that sword looks awesome ill take to pieces hold the tofu honk kong fuuy

That swordfish is every bit meat as a rib-eye, and just as hardy! Yuuummmmmmm.
One of CJ's all time favorite foods is Tofu cubed up like yours, then marinated in teriyaki sauce fo a day,
or over night, then grilled. The sugars from the teriyaki sauce burn and makes one heeluva nice crust... Delish!

Nice meal you have right there LGHT.

That's how I do my tofu. I press cut, press again and then soak them in marinade of Yoshida's, ponzu, mirin, soy, and ginger and the most important ingredient a teaspon of Fatalli concentrate!! Soak them for a few hours press and grill for about 10 min.

Since It's tofu I also use the leftover marinade and add it to a saucepan with about 1/2 cup or brown sugar and reduce and use that for the glaze over the tofu as I grill it.

No such thing as good tofu ....or an even decent veggie burger!

Only reason to waste good wood on smoking or grilling Tofu is that you are on a week long drunk,you're starving or you don't know what it is.
I have heard Tofu is almost edible grilled over a burning tire in a hub cap full of a 50/50 mix of old motor oil and trans fluid,at the dump though.

Veggies are what food eats...
Chile's are not really vegies,they are the missing link between fish , meat and vegetables. :)

MVC-038S.jpg

Yellowtail - Sweet Soy , Italian dressing , Lemon Pepper , Teriyaki and a spice rub.

Only reason to waste good wood on smoking or grilling Tofu is that you are on a week long drunk,you're starving or you don't know what it is.
I have heard Tofu is almost edible grilled over a burning tire in a hub cap full of a 50/50 mix of old motor oil and trans fluid,at the dump though.

hahaha tell us how you really feel

:)

Any time I've tried to cook with Tufu it sucked all the flavor out of everything it touched.
You can mainate it etc. but it still ends up only tasting like whatever else it managed to suck the flavor out of.
It has no flavor of it's own.
Might as well just drink a glass of the marinade.Tastes the same.

The stuff is the activated charcoal of the vegetable world.
No matter what you soak it in or spice it with,it'll eventually turn back into a tasteless white blob if you leave it sit a while after you spice it up.
If you don't cook it soon after it gets taken out of the marinade it will suck up all the flavor and taste like nothing...once again.

Grits and polenta a close second,without 1lb of bacon,cheese ,mushroons and butter,they still taste like mush.
I'd rather get rid of the grits/corn meal versions and eat the bacon and mushrooms covered with melted cheese,dipped in butter. :)

Corn meal was invented for making corn bread with cracklins and chile peppers mixed in.
Makes a great sandwich when fried in bacon grease and smothered with smoked baby back rib meat or pulled pork.
Makes a good Toad in the hole too.(Split the corn bread,fry up some bacon,fry bread in grease,cover with egg and bacon bits.)

Ahhh,then there is Couscous,nothing like eating a lump of pure starch...

Any time I've tried to cook with Tufu it sucked all the flavor out of everything it touched.
You can mainate it etc. but it still ends up only tasting like whatever else it managed to suck the flavor out of.

What you see as a negative is actually what I enjoy about tofu

I like it because it CAN take on the flavor of anything you put on it. A blank canvas if you will. Outside of taste it also has an odd spongy texture that I enjoy especially when grilled as the outside seems to take on a nice crispy firm skin. Not too many foods can become what you want it to. Not to mention it's health benefits. I agree it's not for everyone, but prepared and cooked in the right manner tofu is pretty good.

Wow. Is that a fact? I wonder why they sell so much of it.

Believe it or not I actually grill fish quite often so I can enjoy meat on the weekends. Judging 2 KCBS comps this weekend so had to go light last night.

Grilled swordfish, marinated and grilled tofu (don't knock it till you try it) and finished it off with some shrimp kabobs and a light salad. Of course had to have it with a Modelo.

sword.jpg
I'm really bummed -
Modelo now 100% owned by Anheuser Busch

Chile's are not really vegies,they are the missing link between fish , meat and vegetables. :)

MVC-038S.jpg

Yellowtail - Sweet Soy , Italian dressing , Lemon Pepper , Teriyaki and a spice rub.
:dance: You got my vote for the post of the year ! [font=comic sans ms'] :dance:[/font]
[font=comic sans ms'] [/font][font=comic sans ms'] :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:[/font]

Great tofu tips LGHT! I just so happen to be marinating some right now!

I'm trying out a new flavor this time - sort of an Italian Vinaigrette thing - with lots of heat!! :) We shall see how it pans out!

Grilled baby zukes - yum!

Great tofu tips LGHT! I just so happen to be marinating some right now!

I'm trying out a new flavor this time - sort of an Italian Vinaigrette thing - with lots of heat!! :) We shall see how it pans out!

Grilled baby zukes - yum!

Tofu the other other white meat!! Make sure you post pics. I love the fatalli flavor and bite and always add some to my tofu marinade.

hahaha

I had fatalii puree in one hand, and Rocketman's That Green Stuff" in the other....

Rocketman won out! hahaha I'll definitely be tryin' the fatalii tho! :)

Back