• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Not Bhut Jolokia?

Hey y'all. These came to me labeled as "red bhut jolokia". They were a freebie gift from a generous donor, so this is not in any way a complaint, just trying to be sure of what it is I'm growing. Pretty sure these are SBs, right? I'm happy either way!

9327875689_36b6494e6e_b.jpg

9330677894_38912c0c35_b.jpg

9330684696_dde2c37c4e_b.jpg

Update:

So I found a mostly ripe one and ate it a few minutes ago. It's definitely not a scotch bonnet. The heat was somewhere, if I had to guess, around 15-20K shu.... and that's being generous. Maybe closer to 10-15k. Average tasting pepper.... not very sweet. Tasty, though. Good for drying or adding to chilli. The thing is, I planted 4 "bhut jolokia" seeds, all from the same dried pod I received..... so now I know I have four of these plants. Win/win either way, right?

jedisushi06 said:
http://refiningfirechiles.com/jamyellowmushroomgallery.html

according to this it's as hot a real scotch bonnet.  I disagree.  Have them growing right know.  Not hot.
i dont believe that that is true by any means, mine where not so i agree with you

i dont know of a single Annum species that is close to the heat of even an average scotch bonnet

good pics my plants produced both shapes pictured

thanks your friend Joe

ajijoe said:
you sound like your describing a Jamaican mushroom chile

what color was it starting to turn, they come in yellow and red

thanks your friend Joe

This one ripens red. It's not as hot as my "red chilis" that I inquired about in a separate post. The shape is looking like the mushroom chili.

I grew these last year thinking they were Scotch bonnets until I saw the leaves, which look like c. annuum. The seed package I bought called them Red Jamaican Scotch bonnets. That was a big lie :( . They looked cool but didn't have much of a flavor. Oddly I had a yellow one grow  out of 5.

Edit:

ajijoe said:
about the hottest annum i have ever had  would have to be THAI DRAGON
One of my favorite chiles. I like to use them in Asian cuisine. Mine seem to be crossed this year though. They are not growing true (3rd year growing them). I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing yet, lol. I have tons of backup seeds though.

Back