• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Not Naga Viper But Genuine Testing!

I knew there was a reason why the Doughah scares the crap out of me. I have been eating a Bhut Jolokia or 2 every day without too much of a problem, but that Douglah just makes me cower. Here's my only comment on H500's testing. I really wish all these strains would have been grown at NMSU and undergone the same growing standards as what Dr. Bosland used for his Bhut Jalokia results. This ideally would have brought more consistency when comparing the new strains against the official world record holder. Also, I just have to believe that the growing conditions in New Mexico are better than San Diego for the purpose of growing and finding out the new world record hottest chile pepper. No reason to thrash me if you don't agree. These are just the humble thoughts of an ordinary citizen.

I will be backing the true Trinidad varieties!
No Gimmick seeds for me.
If you want decent seeds trade or the great guys and gals on this site will help you out as I have found out.
Not to say I won't donate or buy seeds for a good cause or charity though and it will be nice to see the country of origin get something back.
P.S along with all my other chillis I can't wait to grow Douglahs this year! :onfire:

OK my mistake, when you referenced Gerald I thought the viper was a part of this. When do you expect the results of the independent labs to be ready?

Thanks,

Chad

Paul Bosland wanted his study to be on equal footing. So he did his best to duplicate growing conditions. The difference between San Diego Inland Valleys and New Mexico Valleys is maybe a few degrees at best. All of peppers I submitted to Marlin Bensinger for testing were in same conditions. All were grown in 15 gallon pots with Sunshine Growers mix#1. All were given mychorrizae, Humic acid, Botanicare Grow and a soil Hydroponic formula. Even though they were on different properties for seed isolation the maximum difference in summer temps was 5 degrees f on any given day. And thats not enough to affect pungency. Now if I had peppers from Florida and Southwest now that would be a major difference. So I think our peppers were on a pretty level playing field. And please keep in mind we are looking for the hottest variety and not doing a complete Botanical study. Also reason we grew in New Mexico was a field study. You see the Bhut is not a good canditate for field farming in southwest. It is weak and prone to flower drop. Otherwise chile farmers in Southwest would be growing it as a cash crop. It is too much trouble. But we found out that the Trinidad varieties do well. So since milder peppers are being grown in India and China our American chile farmers are losing income. Wouldn't it be nice if superhots could re-vitalize these farmers! It may just become a reality:)

Thanks H. Very interesting information. This will be fun to watch develop. The chile farmers do need a break as they are among the hardest working people around.

I'm happy to hear the TS Morouga made it up there too as I suspected. I am fond of that one as it was one of the first treasures provided to me by an old pepper friend in Tobago. I too hope Trinidad gets credit for these varieties. I'm surprised CARDI isn't getting involved in this experiment or do they not know? For a long time, this Caribbean institute has claimed they hold the hottest stuff. i thought Dave DeWitt and Paul Bosland were best friends. Why aren't they collaborating on this?

I cannot comment on Dave and Paul. I was approached by Dave and Marlin. I have only had 1 conversation with Paul on superhots last year and he really did not show interest. Maybe because he did not know me. CARDI I talked with 2 yrs ago and thought I was a nut looking for Scorpions. Then we talked for over an hour and gradually they listened to my points that there are chileheads that will grow and use them. Funny after that phone call I see them try and market them through a Landrace publication. My view on CARDI is they still think like Third World so therefore are missing out on having superhots energize their economy. Since Trinidad varieties have less issues than Bhuts they may totally miss out because we could grow them here on a large scale. However they will make money once they get more popular.

Oh just want to let all you know what I have to trade

Chocolate Devil's Tongue (found growing in group of Reds)

Roatan Island Pumpkin Habanero-This variety I got from Semillas Hot and Fruity and My God they had so many pods Pumpkin looking too.

Black Habanero-Semillas again They say they crossed a clavo with a Choc hab. Any ways it must have some annum in it. Medium heat but rich raisin like flavor. Pods look like dark brown small anaheims and some many clusters together I kept getting broken branches. Big enough to stuff.

I really want true Brown Scorpion so I can get some HCPL tested next year. Does anyone have a Yellow Scorpion other than CARDI type?

i keep seeing you say HCPL, you DO mean HPLC correct?
High performance liquid chromatography?
not trying to be a jerk or anything just genuinely confused.

Here are the pictures of the Chocolate Devils Tongue Habanero500 shared with me. Great looking pods!

chileschocDevilsTongue1-2010.jpg

chileschocDevilsTongue10-2010.jpg

chileschocDevilsTongue11-2010.jpg

Now if I had peppers from Florida and Southwest now that would be a major difference.

You see the Bhut is not a good canditate for field farming in southwest. It is weak and prone to flower drop. Otherwise chile farmers in Southwest would be growing it as a cash crop.

Hab500, what Bhut strain did you test? The only reason I ask is because the NMSU strain that I grew was a big healthy plant, but it didn't set pods until it was a year old(planted 10/1/09, set pods 09/15/10). It was always loaded with flowers, but dropped every one. However, the CCN strain, which I started 6 months later(04/10), gave me fruit all summer long, was absolutely loaded, and ended up becoming twice as big as the NMSU plant.

Hab500, what Bhut strain did you test? The only reason I ask is because the NMSU strain that I grew was a big healthy plant, but it didn't set pods until it was a year old(planted 10/1/09, set pods 09/15/10). It was always loaded with flowers, but dropped every one. However, the CCN strain, which I started 6 months later(04/10), gave me fruit all summer long, was absolutely loaded, and ended up becoming twice as big as the NMSU plant.

bummer, im trying to germinate the NM chillipepper institute bhut right now. what is the CCN strain?
Also while im at it, are the Bih's really more prolific than the bhuts and only a big less hot?

I dont know what Bhut strain they have tested in NM. But Bhuts don't like 105 degree temps. Marlin Said once it got close to 100 degrees for a week or longer flowers dropped. I did not lose too many flowers in San Diego but keep in mind NM south valleys are windy and average around 100 degrees most of summer. What is that other strain of Bhut you grew? Where can I get some seeds?

CCN could have only gotten their original seed from CPI so it makes no sense. It's gotta be one and the same. Unless CCN saved their own seed and somehow the variety acclimated to other climates? CCN jumped on the Bhut bandwagon the year Bosland released them. :)

Chris

Chinense over all like hot but not too hot and they like shade, particularly habaneros and bhuts. My bhuts are actually doing much better inside now than on my deck this summer.

Back