• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Not Naga Viper But Genuine Testing!

Hi Jim,
I have a strain of Bhut Jolokia that was sent to me with the name Assam Bhut.
I grew this the last two seasons and alot of the days were a very dry 35c to above 40c (which is I think 105f to 120f )due to the drought we had been having over the last few years and the winds were a hot dry NW.
Anyhow the pods grew very large, bumpy and extremly hot with little flower drop and a large abundance of pods,
I can send you some seeds of these if you'd like to try, just send me a PM

I dont know what Bhut strain they have tested in NM. But Bhuts don't like 105 degree temps. Marlin Said once it got close to 100 degrees for a week or longer flowers dropped. I did not lose too many flowers in San Diego but keep in mind NM south valleys are windy and average around 100 degrees most of summer. What is that other strain of Bhut you grew? Where can I get some seeds?

Yes, I meant Cross Country Nurseries. Hmmmm, If they are both the same strain I wonder why hey performed so differently, when they had the same growing conditions. The one from CCN just took off and loaded up, while the one from NMSU took its sweet time. The NMSU seemed less drought tolerant, and weaker plant, as you described. But the CCN was a monster 6+ft plant on steriods, only my JHC plant was equal in size(out of 15 superhot varieties).

If CCN started with NMSU seed, perhaps the person at CCN collected seed from the best plant with the best pods, and they weeded out some of the poorer growing characteristics. The NMSU Bhut that is in my back hall right now is still blooming but has had some bloom drop (I think more from the cat digging in it's pot and eating the lower leaves...) it is over 3' tall, and has 12-20pods. It was started in June if I remember correctly.

The Bhut in hydro is about 18" tall and was started at the same time. You would think the size would be reversed for hydro and soil...

The one in soil will be a monster in this next year. If I can keep it from freezing, and away from the cat.

I grew Bhuts and Bih from 4 different sources this past growing season. Over 140 of them. I grew the Bih #2 Improved strain from Semillas, Bih from Neil THSC, Bhut from CCN and seeds saved from my plants 2009 that were from both CCN and Frontal. All I noticed was some of the BIH pods were wider. All plants gave me only about 1/2 pound of chiles. I did get hit with thrips so had some crop loss. Now 3 out of four groups Bhuts produced some Yellow Plants. Only Semillas variety had no Yellow Mutations. I did not save seed from these because these were all grown amongst other species for chile production. But I did grow out Yellow Bhuts in isolation with seed sources from Dave S., Myself and my friend from Virgina who in 2009 had some Bhut plants from Janie and got a Yellow one. Out of these 20 Yellow Bhut Plants I had one give me some Red Pods but light red almost orange. I killed that plant and I am trying to over winter remaining 19. What I am finding out from friends is the Bhuts do better in more humid conditions or humid summers. All I know is production in dry southwest is minimal or chile farmers would grow it. Keep in mind you can't have people tending to thousands of plants on a farm. It costs too much. Also Bhut is a little fragile and leggy unless you prune it to be compact. So when you pay people to harvest they get paid by volume and they literally destroy the plants picking chiles. So a more fragile plant won't bounce back and you will only get one picking. Another reason it is not grown here in volume. Now these are not my opinions. This is coming from a man that grows acres of orange and chocolate habaneros and knows the industry. On a final note I know the Trinidad varieties are hotter than the Bhut with the exception of Yellow ones. I also know the small amounts of Trinidad varieties we planted outdoors in New Mexico field thrived. And in my opinion Trinidad varieties taste better. But that is of course my opinion.

This is a response from Peter Dunn press representative from Warwick University to Dave De Witts Press person.It is also on Dave's website I am copying it to all Naga Viper forums.

"The University of Warwick School of Life Sciences has been asked by a number of growers to test Chillies to ascertain their heat level on the Scoville Scale. Each of those tests has been done as a commercial service to those clients and the University has not publicized or press released any of the results.

One of those clients recently asked us to test a Chilli they described as a "Naga Viper". We completed the test and gave the results to the client. We have since seen a number of media publish those results under headlines that this indicates that the tested Chilli is the hottest in the world.

We also understand from news reports that there has been some interest in having this published as a fact in the Guinness Book Records.

While we cannot release our full report on this Chilli without the commercial clients express permission, we can say that we feel that any result obtained from the Chilli sample that was tested by us should be viewed as only a good indicator that this Chilli could the conditions of entry into the Guinness Book of Records. The sample provided to us was relatively small and, while we do not know explicitly what the Guinness Book of Records testing requirements would be, we would expect that they would require at least one more test with a larger sample and possibly a corroborating test in another lab."

If CCN started with NMSU seed, perhaps the person at CCN collected seed from the best plant with the best pods, and they weeded out some of the poorer growing characteristics. The NMSU Bhut that is in my back hall right now is still blooming but has had some bloom drop (I think more from the cat digging in it's pot and eating the lower leaves...) it is over 3' tall, and has 12-20pods. It was started in June if I remember correctly.

The Bhut in hydro is about 18" tall and was started at the same time. You would think the size would be reversed for hydro and soil...

The one in soil will be a monster in this next year. If I can keep it from freezing, and away from the cat.

That sounds like my NMSU plant, about 3 1/2ft, gave me about 60 pods. Where as the CCN was just over 6ft(taller than me) and gave me about 150-200 pods. I trimmed it down to nothing on 11/1, and its already covered in new leaves. Next year its gonna get its own 4x4 bed, and hopefully be alot bigger.

The naga viper was covered in today's edition of the Kansas City Star. Nothing really new here, but just in case you want to read it:

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/01/11/2574744/working-to-create-the-hottest.html

The naga viper was covered in today's edition of the Kansas City Star. Nothing really new here, but just in case you want to read it:

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/01/11/2574744/working-to-create-the-hottest.html

are they still running this article?...thats me in the pic...the original article came out 13 December 2010 in the Fort Worth Star Telegram...

I wondered if that was you. Congrats! You are now famous in Kansas City. Enjoy your 15 minutes . . .

are they still running this article?...thats me in the pic...the original article came out 13 December 2010 in the Fort Worth Star Telegram...

CCN could have only gotten their original seed from CPI so it makes no sense. It's gotta be one and the same. Unless CCN saved their own seed and somehow the variety acclimated to other climates? CCN jumped on the Bhut bandwagon the year Bosland released them. :)

Chris

Janie @ CCN shared with me that the seed she used was from CPI. She had been getting poorer quality seeds year after year (last 2 years they were GARBAGE!!)and started growing her own for seed stock. She did this through a friend that grows for her in New Mexico.

I grew Bhuts and Bih from 4 different sources this past growing season. Over 140 of them. I grew the Bih #2 Improved strain from Semillas, Bih from Neil THSC, Bhut from CCN and seeds saved from my plants 2009 that were from both CCN and Frontal. All I noticed was some of the BIH pods were wider. All plants gave me only about 1/2 pound of chiles. I did get hit with thrips so had some crop loss. Now 3 out of four groups Bhuts produced some Yellow Plants. Only Semillas variety had no Yellow Mutations. I did not save seed from these because these were all grown amongst other species for chile production. But I did grow out Yellow Bhuts in isolation with seed sources from Dave S., Myself and my friend from Virgina who in 2009 had some Bhut plants from Janie and got a Yellow one. Out of these 20 Yellow Bhut Plants I had one give me some Red Pods but light red almost orange. I killed that plant and I am trying to over winter remaining 19. What I am finding out from friends is the Bhuts do better in more humid conditions or humid summers. All I know is production in dry southwest is minimal or chile farmers would grow it. Keep in mind you can't have people tending to thousands of plants on a farm. It costs too much. Also Bhut is a little fragile and leggy unless you prune it to be compact. So when you pay people to harvest they get paid by volume and they literally destroy the plants picking chiles. So a more fragile plant won't bounce back and you will only get one picking. Another reason it is not grown here in volume. Now these are not my opinions. This is coming from a man that grows acres of orange and chocolate habaneros and knows the industry. On a final note I know the Trinidad varieties are hotter than the Bhut with the exception of Yellow ones. I also know the small amounts of Trinidad varieties we planted outdoors in New Mexico field thrived. And in my opinion Trinidad varieties taste better. But that is of course my opinion.

So true about the fragility of the Bhut Jolokia!! Every year we get a late August wind here in Southern Oregon...every year I find the domino effect here on the farm with Bhuts snapped clean off at the base. They do NOT bend. Or lay over. They snap. So we came up with a fairly quick system to keep this from happening. One thing we learned from this small tragedy, they ripen well after the plants break off. I hung about 20 of them in a shop here on the property and forgot them, well into a month later I remembered them and the pods were all full color and AMAZINGLY firm. We are also a little more humid here in S. Oregon so the bhuts have done very well here each year that I have grown them.

Excellent stuff, I've been waiting to see some good solid results that aren't just a 'test one pod' marketing ploy, especially for the Trinidad Scorpion, I've been interested on exactly how hot those babies are for a while.

Back