• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest November Throwdown - Comfort Food, 2 Sides!

Status
Not open for further replies.
moyboy said:
I'm going to get THP cranky.............2 sides:rolleyes:.......The point of comfort food is so it's dead easy, all my comfort food isn't set up for sides, that's why it's "comfort" food........

Ok you can yell at me now, but had to say it.....

I have a few ideas but will have to work out the sides to match....

Most of my comfort food is the correct combinations of things all on the same plate....

Bacon, grits, and eggs...

Fried chicken, mashed potatoes, and B&G...

...although some just come in a single bowl. ;)

Dudes this is a challenge! If you're not creative enough to whip up two side dishes don't enter. For real! I mean sheeesh!

No more "I can't think of two sides" posts.

Play or go home and let the big boys (and girls) play.

thehotpepper.com said:
Dudes this is a challenge! If you're not creative enough to whip up two side dishes don't enter. For real! I mean sheeesh!

No more "I can't think of two sides" posts.

Play or go home and let the big boys (and girls) play.

I told you i'd get him cranky....:D

Ok folks ..... I've never entered a Throwdown here before . I have been throwndown before but that's a thread on it's own.

I'll be serious now. Got the basic idea of what's wanted. A main course and two sides. I know photos will be wanted , but do you need to add the recipes also ?

Thanks & Peace,
P. Dreadie

Do we need a main course too, or just the sides/comfort food? I just don't see the point in spending a lot of time on a main course if its not part of the judging

P. Dreadie said:
Ok folks ..... I've never entered a Throwdown here before . I have been throwndown before but that's a thread on it's own.

I'll be serious now. Got the basic idea of what's wanted. A main course and two sides. I know photos will be wanted , but do you need to add the recipes also ?

Thanks & Peace,
P. Dreadie

Yes, kinda. You should provide an ingredient list....and a detailed play-by-play of the recipe as it unfolds in the photos you post. Then, describe, name and present the final plate.

At least that is my take on it!

POTAWIE said:
Do we need a main course too, or just the sides/comfort food? I just don't see the point in spending a lot of time on a main course if its not part of the judging

The way I understand it to be is that you will present all three together, and they will all be judged together.

Thanks paulky ..... I also understood things as you do. Three dishes presented together. I may have stated it wrong by saying a "main" course and two sides.

I took like going to Grandmoma's. There was always several items presented at the table.

Thank and Peace,
P. Dreadie

If its three dishes then it seems a bit much for me. I think I'll just be a spectator for this one. My pea brain can only handle one thing at a time besides drinking:)

POTAWIE said:
If its three dishes then it seems a bit much for me. I think I'll just be a spectator for this one

Not three complete and seperate meals....

Think of it like this:

A meat and two sides....like a vegetable and a starch.

(Ex: Steak, baked potato, and corn on the cob.)

VIOLA! you're done! ;)

But you can't just do any side for a throwdown, you definitely need too foo foo them up. I was somehow thinking the sides had to be comfort foods too but I guess I was just getting confused again;)
Maybe I'll think of something simple that I can handle making while intoxicated but I generally cook over a campfire on weekends so it might be tough

POTAWIE said:
But you can't just do any side for a throwdown, you definitely need too foo foo them up. I was somehow thinking the sides had to be comfort foods too but I guess I was just getting confused again;)
Maybe I'll think of something simple that I can handle making while intoxicated but I generally cook over a campfire on weekends so it might be tough

Campout food IS comfort food!

See??? You are two steps ahead of the game and didn't even realize it! ;)

paulky_2000 said:
Campout food IS comfort food!

See??? You are two steps ahead of the game and didn't even realize it! ;)

Its not really comfort food to me, its usually just convenient fire and beer friendly food. Hot dog with a side of marshmallows;)

Pizza, mac & cheese, or poutine would be my top comfort foods but I usually don't eat them with sides, or cook them on the campfire but I guess I could find a way of doing fire roasted pizza with a side of smoked mac & cheese and another side of poutine(I'd need a deep fryer)

It does sound good but once again its basically three meals, and probably too much for the weekend Potawie to handle:)

imaguitargod said:
WTF?!?!?! What happened to Pumpkin Throwdown! I call party foul!

I was going to win it with my The Source Pupkin Pie!

Why don't you just do something pumpkin? You could do like a meatloaf, and incorporate your pumpkin ideas into your 2 sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back