• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

OCD 2017!!!

Well it's 2017. Finally! Last year was a success, as far as the ground plants were concerned. Virgin, clay ground. My Chinese got smacked by hail twice! No room for error with those. Out of 12 plants I got ONE BBG. First and only. That variety is cursed. Tried for the past 3 years and some sort of calimity happens.

This year I decided to try 21+ different varieties of the BBG. I have 9 Reaper crosses. 21 and counting other varieties. I built a hoophouse and some COB led's. Planning on getting them outside in March sometime. That might be a delusion, beings I'm in Colorado. We shall see. There is only a few varieties that I've grown before. The rest are all new. I'm planning on isolating most of them.

Just started some Lemon Drops for Throwdown Growdown. I will wait a couple weeks before I start the others. Everything needs to be in order before I germinate. No turning back at that point. I want two plants from most varieties. Plants need to be woody by ground day. That's the only way I have a chance at success with late maturity varieties. If I have extras, I'll give away to my friends of THP.

My list is growing, but not much. Here is some of the varieties that made the cut.

Naga BBG (Red)
Chocolate BBG
Orange BBG (ISO)
BBG x PDN
Tobago Treasure x BBG
Red Gum Tiger Mamp
BBG Peach Ghost Jami
BBG Cluster
BBG Yellow (large)
BBG Scorpion
Aji Jobito x BBG
Red Gum Nagabrain Tiger Mamp
Peach Bhut BBG
BBG Apocalypse
Bhutla x BBG
Srtsl x BBG
7pot Lava Chocolate x BBG
Bleeding Borg9
Tommy Gum
Orange Naga BBG
Peach Naga BBG

Reaper x Red Mayan Habanero
Reaper x Yellow Scorpion
Reaper x Purple Bhut
Reaper x Pimenta
Reaper x Peach Bhut
Naga Reaper
Brainstrain x Reaper
Sepia Reaper x Neyde
ButchT x Reaper

Congo x ButchT
Peach Ghost Scorpion x Primo
Apocalypse Scorpion
Black Bhutlah Scorpion
Primo
Chocolate Primo
Baby Morich
Scorpion XXX (Holiday)
Fidalgo Roxa x Grao De Bode
Nagabon
BOC (Gary)
Andy's King BOC
Bhut Peach
Jigsaw x Habanero
Giant Trinidad Scorpion (Randy)
Taba Naga
Perfect red Bhut (Rick)
Fatalii Gourmet Jigsaw (Jukka)
Scotch Brain (ISO)
Naga Brain Yellow
Rocato (Chinese) (Jukka)

3Way Caribbean Red
4Way Caribbean Red
Foodarama
Sicman's Mystery (Red, Purple Spots) (Jason)
SB7J (UFO) (Justin)
Venezuela Tiger x SRTSL
Mustard Moruga Brain
Black Panther
Aji Lemondrop
Aji Pineapple
Aji Amarillo
Sadabahar
Chi-Chien
Goats Weed

Thanks for stopping by. Wish you all the best of luck in 2017.

stickman said:
The hoophouse is looking extremely good Chuck! It's a big expense and I hope it pays off for you. :) 
It looks like your boy was having a good time helping set it up, so I'd call that win-win. :dance:
Thanks Rick You Rock! It was more than, I anticipated. I was only going to do a 12x12 when I first ventured out.

10- 2x4x10 $35
2- 2x6x12 $20
4- 2x6x12 $30
10- 1 3/8 fence rail (hoops) $100
4- 4x8 OSB sheets $60
Hardware
(bolts, t25 decking screws) $70
Shade cloth 12x20 HF. $40
Plastic was free from friend $0
Hoopbender DY12 $50

$405

Let's round to $450 with tax.

If I purchased plastic it would be another $60 dollars.

Around $500 dollars if one were to build. That was my original budget.

Still cheaper than prebuilt green house. Not the same and doesn't look as good, but well worth the money if it proves to increase production and extend season. I see my hoophouse moving me a couple zones.

I think the solar mulch is one of the best purchases, that will make a huge difference at keeping the night temps up in there. Thanks again for that tip.

Lots of progress there Chuck,its great to have help too..he is learning a lot from you,which no doubt will serve him well later on.
Keep up the good work ..I know its not so easy  for you with your work & all,but the extra hours you put in will bring forth abundant  fruit. :P 

moruga welder said:
AHEM ,

frank ,  thats o.k.  lol
Thanks you kindly, Frank!

LOL! I was just sipping my first cup of coffee, when I started posting. It's a good thing I don't drink alcohol anymore, things could get really confusing.

Enjoy the day, friend.

OCD Chilehead said:
Thanks Rick You Rock! It was more than, I anticipated. I was only going to do a 12x12 when I first ventured out.

10- 2x4x10 $35
2- 2x6x12 $20
4- 2x6x12 $30
4- 4x8 OSB sheets $60
Hardware
Hoopbender DY12 $50

$405

Still cheaper than prebuilt green house. Not the same and doesn't look as good, but well worth the money if it proves to increase production and extend season. I see my hoophouse moving me a couple zones.

I think the solar mulch is one of the best purchases, that will make a huge difference at keeping the night temps up in there. Thanks again for that tip.
500 isn't nothing for a beloved hobby .  its a great deal for that big greenhouse , keep it going my friend ,    :party:

moruga welder said:
AHEM ,

frank ,  thats o.k.  lol

Hey, that's my trick :rolleyes: Call me easily confused ;)

Great job on the poly tunnel! And great that your son is interested, can't beat that ;) Always good to expose the kids to real world stuff. So many kids nowadays only know how to stumble along with a cellphone stuck to their nose.

I can't wait to see it filled up!

OCD Chilehead said:

10- 2x4x10 $35
2- 2x6x12 $20
4- 2x6x12 $30
4- 4x8 OSB sheets $60
Hardware
Hoopbender DY12 $50

$405

Thanks for sharing the parts and price list for your hoophouse! I'll bet it really gets some of the folks here thinking about setting up one like it. That passive solar plastic mulch really is a bargain, and considering how much temperature fluctuation you have at your altitude I hope it helps even things out some. :party:

stickman said:

Thanks for sharing the parts and price list for your hoophouse! I'll bet it really gets some of the folks here thinking about setting up one like it. That passive solar plastic mulch really is a bargain, and considering how much temperature fluctuation you have at your altitude I hope it helps even things out some. :party:

No problem Rick. I'm going to get the plastic down and try some runs without the plants in the house. Then I know much ventilation I need.

I just found some not so good news. I was looking at the state extension on lowering ph. They said it is nearly impossible to lower my ph because of the free lime content. I guess I just need to work on the mounds. If you get a chance, maybe you can look at what they are saying, and let me know what you think. http://www.ext.colostate.edu/mg/gardennotes/222.pdf

randyp said:
Fantastic Chuck.Next year with this done I bet your thinking of more ideas to automate your setup, even more, We all do it buddy. :onfire:
Thanks Randy. I'm already thinking of ways this year. It will be a trial run for sure this year. Reading a lot on what to expect.

catherinew said:
Such a beautiful hoop house and a great helper. Your hard work is showing!  Now we need to see all of your babies planted and protected.

Any plans for next year??
Thank you Jane.

I want to build a grow room or a shed I can start my plants in. I'm also going to try and get things ready for hydroponics. If I can get a couple setups for seedlings that would help me out a lot. Think aerogarden on a bigger scale. In 1 month I can have a plant the same size as in 3months in the soil. That saved time will hell out a bunch. Plus they get a huge root growth for when they go to soil. Amazing growth.

With that system I won't have to start as many at once. If something happens I can start more in a quick.

OCD Chilehead said:
No problem Rick. I'm going to get the plastic down and try some runs without the plants in the house. Then I know much ventilation I need.

I just found some not so good news. I was looking at the state extension on lowering ph. They said it is nearly impossible to lower my ph because of the free lime content. I guess I just need to work on the mounds. If you get a chance, maybe you can look at what they are saying, and let me know what you think. http://www.ext.colostate.edu/mg/gardennotes/222.pdf

Perhaps Gary's RCW method is a way to solve the free lime issue. Now I'm scared to have my soil tested. I did just do the vinegar test on the base soil (sand) right out the back door. No foaming ;)

The read did mention the key is organic material....

Devv said:

Perhaps Gary's RCW method is a way to solve the free lime issue. Now I'm scared to have my soil tested. I did just do the vinegar test on the base soil (sand) right out the back door. No foaming ;)

The read did mention the key is organic material....
I agree. That's why I was thinking of focusing on the rows. I'll just build them and not worry much about what's underneath.

Back