• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

OCD 2017!!!

Well it's 2017. Finally! Last year was a success, as far as the ground plants were concerned. Virgin, clay ground. My Chinese got smacked by hail twice! No room for error with those. Out of 12 plants I got ONE BBG. First and only. That variety is cursed. Tried for the past 3 years and some sort of calimity happens.

This year I decided to try 21+ different varieties of the BBG. I have 9 Reaper crosses. 21 and counting other varieties. I built a hoophouse and some COB led's. Planning on getting them outside in March sometime. That might be a delusion, beings I'm in Colorado. We shall see. There is only a few varieties that I've grown before. The rest are all new. I'm planning on isolating most of them.

Just started some Lemon Drops for Throwdown Growdown. I will wait a couple weeks before I start the others. Everything needs to be in order before I germinate. No turning back at that point. I want two plants from most varieties. Plants need to be woody by ground day. That's the only way I have a chance at success with late maturity varieties. If I have extras, I'll give away to my friends of THP.

My list is growing, but not much. Here is some of the varieties that made the cut.

Naga BBG (Red)
Chocolate BBG
Orange BBG (ISO)
BBG x PDN
Tobago Treasure x BBG
Red Gum Tiger Mamp
BBG Peach Ghost Jami
BBG Cluster
BBG Yellow (large)
BBG Scorpion
Aji Jobito x BBG
Red Gum Nagabrain Tiger Mamp
Peach Bhut BBG
BBG Apocalypse
Bhutla x BBG
Srtsl x BBG
7pot Lava Chocolate x BBG
Bleeding Borg9
Tommy Gum
Orange Naga BBG
Peach Naga BBG

Reaper x Red Mayan Habanero
Reaper x Yellow Scorpion
Reaper x Purple Bhut
Reaper x Pimenta
Reaper x Peach Bhut
Naga Reaper
Brainstrain x Reaper
Sepia Reaper x Neyde
ButchT x Reaper

Congo x ButchT
Peach Ghost Scorpion x Primo
Apocalypse Scorpion
Black Bhutlah Scorpion
Primo
Chocolate Primo
Baby Morich
Scorpion XXX (Holiday)
Fidalgo Roxa x Grao De Bode
Nagabon
BOC (Gary)
Andy's King BOC
Bhut Peach
Jigsaw x Habanero
Giant Trinidad Scorpion (Randy)
Taba Naga
Perfect red Bhut (Rick)
Fatalii Gourmet Jigsaw (Jukka)
Scotch Brain (ISO)
Naga Brain Yellow
Rocato (Chinese) (Jukka)

3Way Caribbean Red
4Way Caribbean Red
Foodarama
Sicman's Mystery (Red, Purple Spots) (Jason)
SB7J (UFO) (Justin)
Venezuela Tiger x SRTSL
Mustard Moruga Brain
Black Panther
Aji Lemondrop
Aji Pineapple
Aji Amarillo
Sadabahar
Chi-Chien
Goats Weed

Thanks for stopping by. Wish you all the best of luck in 2017.

bpiela said:
Plants look great!  How did you protect all of them from aphids/gnats?
Thanks Ben!

No gnats this year. I kept the top of the soil dry. Aphids don't bother my plants. I have a 6x6x6 rose bush they love. They've never touched the pepper plants which I grow about 6ft from the rose bush. Knock on wood. Grasshoppers are starting to show. Those are my enemy.

OCD Chilehead said:
Thanks Ben!

No gnats this year. I kept the top of the soil dry. Aphids don't bother my plants. I have a 6x6x6 rose bush they love. They've never touched the pepper plants which I grow about 6ft from the rose bush. Knock on wood. Grasshoppers are starting to show. Those are my enemy.

So, you got the outside covered, but how did you keep the aphids off of the plants indoors?  You seem to grow a lot of plants.  Just wondering what you do so that maybe I can do a better job next year...  Thanks!

bpiela said:

So, you got the outside covered, but how did you keep the aphids off of the plants indoors?  You seem to grow a lot of plants.  Just wondering what you do so that maybe I can do a better job next year...  Thanks!

I've never had one aphid inside or outside. Fungus gnats in the past. Bottom water helped that and ventilation.

Sorry I couldn't help.

Chuck you've really made a lot of progress with getting the plants to their final destination..awesome job on the hoop house..a lot of credit for your hard work.
My eyes darted right to the galap,it looks fantastic...growing at a fast pace,a different kinda odor from the leaves.."its quite the plant",I hope it continues to do well for you.Like you,must say its my favorite..I don't know if I mentioned to you,I planted 3 seeds and all 3 germinated in 10 days,(got lucky :P )kept 2 & I have another plant that is a bit bigger,I hope that one bears fruit...will see!
Also like the candlelight mutant,not knowledgeable on that one..anyway continue success,seems that you will have a ton of peppers in no time. :party:

wiriwiri said:
Chuck you've really made a lot of progress with getting the plants to their final destination..awesome job on the hoop house..a lot of credit for your hard work.
My eyes darted right to the galap,it looks fantastic...growing at a fast pace,a different kinda odor from the leaves.."its quite the plant",I hope it continues to do well for you.Like you,must say its my favorite..I don't know if I mentioned to you,I planted 3 seeds and all 3 germinated in 10 days,(got lucky :P )kept 2 & I have another plant that is a bit bigger,I hope that one bears fruit...will see!
Also like the candlelight mutant,not knowledgeable on that one..anyway continue success,seems that you will have a ton of peppers in no time. :party:
Hey Sandy! Thanks!

Your to kind.

The Galop is just beautiful. Congrats on the germ rate. I had two that germinated and they took forever. I even had to scarify to get them to pop. Out of the two, only one made it. I definitely want to OW this one.

I wish there was more people like you, that want to rejuvenate seed stock of some of the rare and wild ones. Seeds don't last forever. With out new stock they could disappear. I hope you succeed with your project. Next year I will focus more on that. I did rejuvenate a Indian pepper, couldn't find any vendors with viable seeds. I saved almost all of the seeds from the pods. I spread them around and see them on some seed trains. Cool!

Thanks for stopping by.

Your going to be so well rewarded for your hard graft Chuck, lot if work gone into the whole grow.
Must of been a huge effort when you put them all down in dirt ? But the hoop house looks fantastic and will be a jungle of pods in no time.
Stunning flowers on the mutant.
Plenty of peppers coming your way buddy. Growing like a Boss. Nicely done.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

Superhot Sim said:
Your going to be so well rewarded for your hard graft Chuck, lot if work gone into the whole grow.
Must of been a huge effort when you put them all down in dirt ? But the hoop house looks fantastic and will be a jungle of pods in no time.
Stunning flowers on the mutant.
Plenty of peppers coming your way buddy. Growing like a Boss. Nicely done.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk
Wow! Sim!

Your making me blush. I try the best I can. Lots of research and trial and error. I've got a lot of help around here.

I have to give credit to Rick (stickman), Scott (Devv), Paul (PaulG) , Justin(jcw10tc), Stefan(meatfreak), Rich(pepperguru). You see this is truly a community grow. With out tips and tricks from all these members, I wouldn't have much going on. There is many more growers out there I envy, but these guys have really helped along the way. I hope to have half the skills of them someday. Just given credit where credit is do.

And thank you for following along.

You all Rock!

I back up all the growers you mentioned Chuck all established good pepper guys , and same over here its about helping each other with knowledge , tips , seeds, pods , and then produce ;) im very lucky to share a forum as you know with John (Trident)  and Dennis(Dennish)  and others who are on here as well , all very generous and always willing to help.
So yeah it becomes a mass community grow , some a little crazy ;) :lol: as we all are but great growers who have become friends over the years.

Gary ( windchicken ) is another very special pepper grower indeed , not only for his generosity , but always got time to explain and share his knowledge. 
Sure goes a long way to keeping this hobby very special and a whole lot of fun... :metal:

randyp said:
Chuck your hard work starts paying you back this week.Weather is taking a turn in your area. ;)
Thanks Randy

It's definitely taking a turn. It was staying warm hit 90 today and just got notice of a freeze warning in effect for the next 3 days. What!

Superhot Sim said:
I back up all the growers you mentioned Chuck all established good pepper guys , and same over here its about helping each other with knowledge , tips , seeds, pods , and then produce ;) im very lucky to share a forum as you know with John (Trident)  and Dennis(Dennish)  and others who are on here as well , all very generous and always willing to help.
So yeah it becomes a mass community grow , some a little crazy ;) :lol: as we all are but great growers who have become friends over the years.

Gary ( windchicken ) is another very special pepper grower indeed , not only for his generosity , but always got time to explain and share his knowledge. 
Sure goes a long way to keeping this hobby very special and a whole lot of fun... :metal:
stickman said:
I'm all about knowledge. If you can't find it within a chili forum, it probably doesn't exist. LOL!

Gary, Charles, Jason and the list goes on and on. It's amazing how many amazing growers there are. When I first came to this a number of years ago, I was welcomed with open arms. It was all new to me. I don't even do facebook. This is much better (for me).

Don't sell yourself short Chuck, I rarely second-guess the man on the ground.

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk
Thanks Rick.

I've heard that before. I suppose, I don't give myself enough credit.

I guess humbleness has its down sides.

Just got a freeze warning ⚠️

Had to board up the greenhouse

Attachments

• IMG_0081.JPG
    IMG_0081.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0084.PNG
    IMG_0084.PNG
    497.9 KB · Views: 53
OCD Chilehead said:
Thanks Randy

It's definitely taking a turn. It was staying warm hit 90 today and just got notice of a freeze warning in effect for the next 3 days. What!

Thanks Rick.

I've heard that before. I suppose, I don't give myself enough credit.

I guess humbleness has its down sides.

Just got a freeze warning ⚠️

Had to board up the greenhouse
Yeah... THAT sounds familiar. [emoji13] Good thing you were on the ball Chuck! [emoji2]

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

Hope you managed okay last night, brother.
Your greenhouse looks like it's more than
adequate for the task!  I talked to a friend in
Denver today and he said there is a prediction
for 4" of snow possible overnight. Plants in
there are looking great, BTW. 

Will be interesting to see the pod that comes
from the mutant candlelight.  

Me too Chuck..so sorry..hope it all goes away pronto.& blue skies & warm temps prevail..if only I could send you some of the 90* we have on tap for tomorrow...I surely would,but the thought is there,your  preparedness should ensure a good outcome..besides we are all pulling for you. :P

Back