• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

OCD 2017!!!

Well it's 2017. Finally! Last year was a success, as far as the ground plants were concerned. Virgin, clay ground. My Chinese got smacked by hail twice! No room for error with those. Out of 12 plants I got ONE BBG. First and only. That variety is cursed. Tried for the past 3 years and some sort of calimity happens.

This year I decided to try 21+ different varieties of the BBG. I have 9 Reaper crosses. 21 and counting other varieties. I built a hoophouse and some COB led's. Planning on getting them outside in March sometime. That might be a delusion, beings I'm in Colorado. We shall see. There is only a few varieties that I've grown before. The rest are all new. I'm planning on isolating most of them.

Just started some Lemon Drops for Throwdown Growdown. I will wait a couple weeks before I start the others. Everything needs to be in order before I germinate. No turning back at that point. I want two plants from most varieties. Plants need to be woody by ground day. That's the only way I have a chance at success with late maturity varieties. If I have extras, I'll give away to my friends of THP.

My list is growing, but not much. Here is some of the varieties that made the cut.

Naga BBG (Red)
Chocolate BBG
Orange BBG (ISO)
BBG x PDN
Tobago Treasure x BBG
Red Gum Tiger Mamp
BBG Peach Ghost Jami
BBG Cluster
BBG Yellow (large)
BBG Scorpion
Aji Jobito x BBG
Red Gum Nagabrain Tiger Mamp
Peach Bhut BBG
BBG Apocalypse
Bhutla x BBG
Srtsl x BBG
7pot Lava Chocolate x BBG
Bleeding Borg9
Tommy Gum
Orange Naga BBG
Peach Naga BBG

Reaper x Red Mayan Habanero
Reaper x Yellow Scorpion
Reaper x Purple Bhut
Reaper x Pimenta
Reaper x Peach Bhut
Naga Reaper
Brainstrain x Reaper
Sepia Reaper x Neyde
ButchT x Reaper

Congo x ButchT
Peach Ghost Scorpion x Primo
Apocalypse Scorpion
Black Bhutlah Scorpion
Primo
Chocolate Primo
Baby Morich
Scorpion XXX (Holiday)
Fidalgo Roxa x Grao De Bode
Nagabon
BOC (Gary)
Andy's King BOC
Bhut Peach
Jigsaw x Habanero
Giant Trinidad Scorpion (Randy)
Taba Naga
Perfect red Bhut (Rick)
Fatalii Gourmet Jigsaw (Jukka)
Scotch Brain (ISO)
Naga Brain Yellow
Rocato (Chinese) (Jukka)

3Way Caribbean Red
4Way Caribbean Red
Foodarama
Sicman's Mystery (Red, Purple Spots) (Jason)
SB7J (UFO) (Justin)
Venezuela Tiger x SRTSL
Mustard Moruga Brain
Black Panther
Aji Lemondrop
Aji Pineapple
Aji Amarillo
Sadabahar
Chi-Chien
Goats Weed

Thanks for stopping by. Wish you all the best of luck in 2017.

LocalFart said:
Just a thought. but black shade cloth sitting on the plastic would be counter productive right?

I may be wrong or the sun may be different here but you may need to raise the shade cloth above the dome so the heat can dissipate from the cloth?
ThatBlondGuy101 said:
+1 What LocalFart said above (#458)

I would've thought that having the black shade cloth on the cover would block light, but conduct the heat into the greenhouse? I thought that Black absorbs heat, but has to send it somewhere, so it would channel it into the house?

I might be completely out of my mind, but I would think that the shade cloth wouldn't fix the heat problem, only reduce the light... :think:
Thanks guys.
I was going to put up a shade cloth awning like Scott used. Didn't have the time or money to do it. I know the black cloth isn't helping matters in a way. All the plants in the middle of the house have no problems. The ones on both side of the house look distressed. Except for one end of the house that gets afternoon shade from a tree. I think it's magnifying through the plastic.

The added fan for circulation has brought the temps down a bit yesterday. As soon as I plugged it in, temps started dropping. I know my Chinese grow better in the shade, than the sun at my elevation. Much bigger plants and production in the shade.

Thanks again guys. I may find the time and money and build a frame, and order a 25x25 shade cloth. Probably be in use for next year. We will see how it goes

Today will be a good test. It will hit 80F/26C today. Night time temps still around 40-43F/5-6C.

Genetikx said:
I think you need a fan on one side like you have and keep the door open in the other side. I'd get rid of that black cloth, only thing I see it doing is blocking light... You don't want to block what's coming in as much as you want to make sure what comes in has an easy way to escape. As someone else mentioned, only other thing I'd consider is a standing fan on the other end by the door

Btw, you're killin it Chuck! Super impressed with plants and greenhouse
Thanks Ryan.
I did move the fan toward the door this morning. I faced it up and have great circulation through out the house. I mentikned in the previous post. All my plants grow better in the shade. I found this out one year, because I grew to many plants. Had no room so a bunch ended up under the tree. Those plants were the biggest, healthiest and most productive out of all of them. Annuums don't mind the Sun at this elevation, but the Chinese get scorched. Now that I think about it, all my Annuums are doing great. I'll see how it goes today. I may have to change things up again. Just trying to get ready for real heat. It will be in the 90's here all Summer.

Thanks again

Chuck

OCD Chilehead said:
Thanks Ryan.
I did move the fan toward the door this morning. I faced it up and have great circulation through out the house. I mentikned in the previous post. All my plants grow better in the shade. I found this out one year, because I grew to many plants. Had no room so a bunch ended up under the tree. Those plants were the biggest, healthiest and most productive out of all of them. Annuums don't mind the Sun at this elevation, but the Chinese get scorched. Now that I think about it, all my Annuums are doing great. I'll see how it goes today. I may have to change things up again. Just trying to get ready for real heat. It will be in the 90's here all Summer.

Thanks again

Chuck
Yea that's right, location makes a big difference when it comes to execution. Up here I couldn't imagine blocking sun but we sit in the 70s and 80s most of the summer, touching 90s during short stints.

Devv said:
Chuck I see greenhouses down here with the sunshade directly on them just like yours. Yeah the shades absorbs and passes some heat down; but I think it helps more than it hurts.
Of course, as mentioned, having it suspended above would be better...that can come later ;)
Thanks Scott. I will see how it goes. If I do that, I'll be building a fortress. LOL!

I've thought about in the past years looking at your setup.

Genetikx said:
Yea that's right, location makes a big difference when it comes to execution. Up here I couldn't imagine blocking sun but we sit in the 70s and 80s most of the summer, touching 90s during short stints.
I don't like loosing the Sunlight, but I'll take what I can get. I grew up in San Diego, in my opinion, the best weather in the country. 70's all year and very little humidity. I suppose, I was spoiled. Didn't know what I had until I moved to a high desert. 5300ft elevation and 90's and 100's all Summer, 0 to 30's in the Winter. UV index of 9. Pretty drastic.

Its challenging, but fun.

Had the same issue last season Chuck and my sun is nowhere as strong as yours ... plants on the side of the polytunnel really suffered ... silver like leaves and wilt. They eventually lost the damaged leaves but all plants recovered ... like the idea of a fan I will have one on stand by just in case as our weather has really improved this week

Glad you're getting the temp. issues sorted in your hoophouse Chuck. I remember the intensity of the Colorado sun at over 5,000 feet so I know it's no joke. You might be interested in this book if you can find it in your library system. They talk about how growers in the Sonoran Desert plant chiles under "Nurse Trees" to protect them from the scorching sun and help the soil retain some moisture.  https://books.google.com/books?id=I5m5K0m4UrgC&dq=growing+food+in+a+hotter,+drier+land&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwinptK184_UAhVB5CYKHWepC_IQ6AEIMTAB

Now that I think of it... the Chinense varieties grow best in the tropics in places like the Yucutan and the Caribbean where they get lots of dappled shade and water.

Trident chilli said:
Had the same issue last season Chuck and my sun is nowhere as strong as yours ... plants on the side of the polytunnel really suffered ... silver like leaves and wilt. They eventually lost the damaged leaves but all plants recovered ... like the idea of a fan I will have one on stand by just in case as our weather has really improved this week
Thanks John.

It gives me hope for a couple of them. The fan is helping.

stickman said:
Glad you're getting the temp. issues sorted in your hoophouse Chuck. I remember the intensity of the Colorado sun at over 5,000 feet so I know it's no joke. You might be interested in this book if you can find it in your library system. They talk about how growers in the Sonoran Desert plant chiles under "Nurse Trees" to protect them from the scorching sun and help the soil retain some moisture.  https://books.google.com/books?id=I5m5K0m4UrgC&dq=growing+food+in+a+hotter,+drier+land&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwinptK184_UAhVB5CYKHWepC_IQ6AEIMTAB

Now that I think of it... the Chinense varieties grow best in the tropics in places like the Yucutan and the Caribbean where they get lots of dappled shade and water.
Thanks Rick. I've took your advice on that last year and planted tomatillos with the peppers. Worked like a charm. Beware, tomatillos are one of the fastest growing plants I've ever grown. They get out of control in a hurt.

I ran the fan yesterday. It did good. Temps hit 85 and it was 90 in there. Shade cloth and fan helped a bunch. I ran my drip lines. Need to flush and finish off. Going to see if I can mount the fan somewhere. I would like it on the wall or side rail, out of the way.

Attachments

• IMG_0070.JPG
    IMG_0070.JPG
    184.5 KB · Views: 49
OCD Chilehead said:
I ran the fan yesterday. It did good. Temps hit 85 and it was 90 in there. Shade cloth and fan helped a bunch. I ran my drip lines. Need to flush and finish off. Going to see if I can mount the fan somewhere. I would like it on the wall or side rail, out of the way.
If I did say to plant tomatillos in among the chiles, I'm very sorry. LOL! I meant to say that tomatillos are great to have on hand when it comes to preparing ripe chiles... Or unripe ones in the case of jalapenos, serranos and numex varieties. I love me some chile verde, posole, salsa or hot sauce made with them. [emoji2]

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

stickman said:
If I did say to plant tomatillos in among the chiles, I'm very sorry. LOL! I meant to say that tomatillos are great to have on hand when it comes to preparing ripe chiles... Or unripe ones in the case of jalapenos, serranos and numex varieties. I love me some chile verde, posole, salsa or hot sauce made with them. [emoji2]

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk
LOL! No, you didn't say plant tomatillos. I took it upon my self to plant between tomatoes and tomatillos. It does work. My plants last year loved the shade from the other plants.

OCD Chilehead said:
LOL! No, you didn't say plant tomatillos. I took it upon my self to plant between tomatoes and tomatillos. It does work. My plants last year loved the shade from the other plants.

Ah... that makes me feel better. I didn't want to give you a bum steer. ;)

I've read that Okra is a good intercrop with chiles since it's drought tolerant, grows taller than the chiles and provides dappled shade. Supposedly they protect each other from pests as well. Okra supposedly keeps aphids away from Peppers, and Peppers keep Cabbage Worms away from the Okra.
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/okra/okra-companion-plants.htm
https://www.treehugger.com/lawn-garden/companion-plants-grow-your-peppers.html
http://www.redlandsdailyfacts.com/lifestyle/20140728/okra-plant-is-decorative-and-drought-tolerant

Okra's not to everyone's taste, but I like it as long as it's fresh and isn't cooked too long... freezing it is right out!

stickman said:

Ah... that makes me feel better. I didn't want to give you a bum steer. ;)

I've read that Okra is a good intercrop with chiles since it's drought tolerant, grows taller than the chiles and provides dappled shade. Supposedly they protect each other from pests as well. Okra supposedly keeps aphids away from Peppers, and Peppers keep Cabbage Worms away from the Okra.
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/okra/okra-companion-plants.htm
https://www.treehugger.com/lawn-garden/companion-plants-grow-your-peppers.html
http://www.redlandsdailyfacts.com/lifestyle/20140728/okra-plant-is-decorative-and-drought-tolerant

Okra's not to everyone's taste, but I like it as long as it's fresh and isn't cooked too long... freezing it is right out!
Thanks for the good information. I planted basil last year with the peppers. I'm going to keep some basil and thyme in the hoop house. It might deter pests. Plus it smells awesome. Right now it smells like fertilizer. LOL!

Devv said:
Glad the fans are keeping things cool Chuck. It's 96° here now, can I borrow them? :D
Thank you Scott. I've used fans outside in the past with my containers. Humidity helps. Its that dry heat and wind that they don't like. I use to spray the garden every evening for humidity the next day. I noticed plants near the wooden fence faired better than others. I think it was the fact that I sprayed the fences down and they released humidity.

Devv said:
Glad the fans are keeping things cool Chuck. It's 96° here now, can I borrow them? :D
Thank you Scott. I've used fans outside in the past with my containers. Humidity helps. Its that dry heat and wind that they don't like. I use to spray the garden every evening for humidity the next day. I noticed plants near the wooden fence faired better than others. I think it was the fact that I sprayed the fences down and they released humidity.

I managed to get the dripline in yesterday evening. Should have put it in before I put the plastic down. Rick told me so. I decided to reuse the lines from last year. Seem to be good. If Ivey any plugs in the line I can add emitters.

Im going to wire my circulation fan in line with the exhaust. Then I don't have to turn it on before work. Its still in the 50's at that time, plus its a waste of energy. Also going to mount fan to endwall. Self automation mode is almost complete.

Attachments

• IMG_0085.JPG
    IMG_0085.JPG
    167.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0087.JPG
    IMG_0087.JPG
    165.1 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0088.JPG
    IMG_0088.JPG
    144.8 KB · Views: 55
OCD Chilehead said:
I managed to get the dripline in yesterday evening. Should have put it in before I put the plastic down. Rick told me so. I decided to reuse the lines from last year. Seem to be good. If Ivey any plugs in the line I can add emitters.

Im going to wire my circulation fan in line with the exhaust. Then I don't have to turn it on before work. Its still in the 50's at that time, plus its a waste of energy. Also going to mount fan to endwall. Self automation mode is almost complete.
Damn Chuck ! are those plants between the rows in containers yet ?  Your gonna have pods out the wazoo !  :party:

Back