• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

OCD 2017!!!

Well it's 2017. Finally! Last year was a success, as far as the ground plants were concerned. Virgin, clay ground. My Chinese got smacked by hail twice! No room for error with those. Out of 12 plants I got ONE BBG. First and only. That variety is cursed. Tried for the past 3 years and some sort of calimity happens.

This year I decided to try 21+ different varieties of the BBG. I have 9 Reaper crosses. 21 and counting other varieties. I built a hoophouse and some COB led's. Planning on getting them outside in March sometime. That might be a delusion, beings I'm in Colorado. We shall see. There is only a few varieties that I've grown before. The rest are all new. I'm planning on isolating most of them.

Just started some Lemon Drops for Throwdown Growdown. I will wait a couple weeks before I start the others. Everything needs to be in order before I germinate. No turning back at that point. I want two plants from most varieties. Plants need to be woody by ground day. That's the only way I have a chance at success with late maturity varieties. If I have extras, I'll give away to my friends of THP.

My list is growing, but not much. Here is some of the varieties that made the cut.

Naga BBG (Red)
Chocolate BBG
Orange BBG (ISO)
BBG x PDN
Tobago Treasure x BBG
Red Gum Tiger Mamp
BBG Peach Ghost Jami
BBG Cluster
BBG Yellow (large)
BBG Scorpion
Aji Jobito x BBG
Red Gum Nagabrain Tiger Mamp
Peach Bhut BBG
BBG Apocalypse
Bhutla x BBG
Srtsl x BBG
7pot Lava Chocolate x BBG
Bleeding Borg9
Tommy Gum
Orange Naga BBG
Peach Naga BBG

Reaper x Red Mayan Habanero
Reaper x Yellow Scorpion
Reaper x Purple Bhut
Reaper x Pimenta
Reaper x Peach Bhut
Naga Reaper
Brainstrain x Reaper
Sepia Reaper x Neyde
ButchT x Reaper

Congo x ButchT
Peach Ghost Scorpion x Primo
Apocalypse Scorpion
Black Bhutlah Scorpion
Primo
Chocolate Primo
Baby Morich
Scorpion XXX (Holiday)
Fidalgo Roxa x Grao De Bode
Nagabon
BOC (Gary)
Andy's King BOC
Bhut Peach
Jigsaw x Habanero
Giant Trinidad Scorpion (Randy)
Taba Naga
Perfect red Bhut (Rick)
Fatalii Gourmet Jigsaw (Jukka)
Scotch Brain (ISO)
Naga Brain Yellow
Rocato (Chinese) (Jukka)

3Way Caribbean Red
4Way Caribbean Red
Foodarama
Sicman's Mystery (Red, Purple Spots) (Jason)
SB7J (UFO) (Justin)
Venezuela Tiger x SRTSL
Mustard Moruga Brain
Black Panther
Aji Lemondrop
Aji Pineapple
Aji Amarillo
Sadabahar
Chi-Chien
Goats Weed

Thanks for stopping by. Wish you all the best of luck in 2017.

Devv said:
Well heck, I can't keep up the last few weeks.

Of course everything looks great! And I'm glad you're dialing in the fans to control the heat.

So I have a bunch of Tomatotone, Gardentone, I think I bought all the "tones" when Wally World cut the price down to like $4 per 8lb bag. ;)  I haven't used that much of it, too busy trying to keep up. Been using the Hasta Gro

How do you use it rate wise per plant? And how often. I've never used granular ferts in the garden, well not in many, many years...
Well I've not got it dialed in. In my 4-5gallin containers, I add a full cup when I transplant. Once a month a topical and use teas in between. So far no problems. I mixed garden, tomato, and flower tone together. Added some iron tone. Mixed it all up and put it in two 5 gallon sealed containers. I also use FloraNova. Light dosage every now and then. Depends on how fast the plants are growing. If they look good nothing. This in the ground thing is different then my container grow. Containers in a couple months will be root bound and I can feed more often. Everything I use has low NPK numbers. That way I don't over do it. I hope this rambling makes since. Its been a long day.

I managed to get 20 potted up tonight. I'm going to run dripline for them later. I want to get some cinder blocks and planks. They will sit where they are now. Just want them off the ground.
IMG_0120.JPG

And a couple more, I need to plant up.
IMG_0122.JPG

The amount of plants you have on the go is a lot of hard work for any grower Chuck, let alone building a fantastic loop house as well.
But you have had the whole grow under control from day one, your hard graft will bring great rewards I have no doubt on this.
A run of warm weather and some nice humidity them gals be bushes/trees in no time. Your smile when your picking pods buddy.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

Superhot Sim said:
The amount of plants you have on the go is a lot of hard work for any grower Chuck, let alone building a fantastic loop house as well.
But you have had the whole grow under control from day one, your hard graft will bring great rewards I have no doubt on this.
A run of warm weather and some nice humidity them gals be bushes/trees in no time. Your smile when your picking pods buddy.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk
Thanks Sim. Picking pods would be a bonus. This has been a adventure juggling hoophouse build and growing almost 200 plants. I just didn't expect them all to make it. I grow extras because it doesn't take much in Colorado to kill plants. If my heater would have gone out, half of them would have died.

I can't hand water with pail anymore. Had to move them outside. They need to be portted up before the get to rootbound. I will pot up another 20 after work. Still leaves me with 60 something. I'll find homes for sure. I had a dream I was planting a Guerrilla Grow along the Colorado River. The river is just 1 1/2 miles away. LOL! Could happen!

OCD Chilehead said:
Thanks Sim. Picking pods would be a bonus. This has been a adventure juggling hoophouse build and growing almost 200 plants. I just didn't expect them all to make it. I grow extras because it doesn't take much in Colorado to kill plants. If my heater would have gone out, half of them would have died.

I can't hand water with pail anymore. Had to move them outside. They need to be portted up before the get to rootbound. I will pot up another 20 after work. Still leaves me with 60 something. I'll find homes for sure. I had a dream I was planting a gorilla grow along the Colorado River. The river is just 1 1/2 miles away. LOL! Could happen!
Guerrilla Grow... I like that! [emoji2] [emoji106]

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

Devv said:
Wow Chuck!

Staying busy! I like it ;)  It's a shame work gets in our way eh?

Thanks for the input with the tone products ;)
Thanks Scott!

Gotta work to do the things we love, unfortunately.

Been trying to practice on my Nikon. Just when I think I have it figured out, I get some messed up pictures. Here is a few that made the cut. Going to start labeling the plants when I take pics. Need to figure it out soon. I have a 50mm, Macro, and a basic zoom that came with the camera.

Attachments

• DSC_0085.jpg
    DSC_0085.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0138.JPG
    IMG_0138.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0139.JPG
    IMG_0139.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 49
Nice pics Chuck! I want a true macro lens for sure!

The beauty of digital cameras is the zero cost to practice. I gave my daughter my old Cannon D60; to me it took better pics than the Nikon D3300 I use now. But....I haven't given the Nikon a real chance yet; taking quick pics and not taking the time to learn the camera. True it's an entry level cam compared to a pro grade cam, but I think it will do well once I figure it out. I've yet to put it into manual mode; that's how I learned to shoot back in the 35mm days. In "auto" mode it seems to lack "depth of field", which is when you're 3' from a plant and not all of it is in focus.. That's a low F stop issue. I also have a Coolpic L820, it doesn't do this. So it's in the software. So again I need to learn the camera. I'm sure it's cranking up the shutter speed so it can open up the aperture (think eye pupil, large pupil, more light).

I would like to encourage you to try using manual mode ( I need to do the same). Taking pics where you set the shutter speed and the aperture (F stop). Snap away using different settings, you may just surprise yourself ;)

Nikon battery on charger, so here is some more crappy phone pics. LOL!

I used some 2x6's and cinder blocks to raise the pots off the ground. Managed to get another 6 plants in there staggered. I'm going to tap into the dripline and run emitters.
IMG_0148.JPG

I put the other plants that I potted up in the house on the ground. Left and right rows. Those plants are temporary. Just going to leave them in there for a few days to recover from any shock. So far I'm keeping the 29 plants in pots and the 41 plants in ground, of coarse, in the house. That's 70 plants in the hoophouse for the season. I've got another 15 to hit the ground outside the house and 15 or 20 in pots, or until I run out of mix. Probably the later since, I've got some bigger pots for them. That will be around 110 plants total. The rest, I don't know. LOL!
IMG_0151.JPG

Gee, I don't know how you guys handle all those plants!
Here I am dreading 70 plants next season  :rofl:
But don't get me wrong, I'm looking forwards to it, gotta fuel the addiction somehow!

And remember, the subject matter is 210% more important than the camera shot! Doesn't matter how you shoot it, a good plant is a good plant!

Keep it up buddy! You'll be inundated with pods in no time!

I'm lovin' your grow so far Chuck! You' re making me wish I had a hoophouse this spring as cold and wet as it is here. Cash is getting much tighter here though... My '99 pickup finally died on Friday and I've gotta replace it. Oh well, maybe when I get it paid off... <shrug>

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

I just really like purple leaves peppers! They are just magnificent. 

I should buy a nice camera too, because my phone camera just make crappy picture and doesn't capture the essence of what I'm trying to show. 

I see you are doing great Chuck!

Btw is there a reason for the plastic wrap around your plants? Is it to keep humidity and save on water?

Every thing looks great Chuck!

You will be having more than you know what to do with pretty quick!

Just take your time with the camera, and snap away. You learn as you go. ;) I usually take several pics of the "subject" and pick the best one. Been looking at the macro lens prices. I think I need to hit the lotto first ;)

ThatBlondGuy101 said:
Gee, I don't know how you guys handle all those plants!
Here I am dreading 70 plants next season  :rofl:
But don't get me wrong, I'm looking forwards to it, gotta fuel the addiction somehow!

And remember, the subject matter is 210% more important than the camera shot! Doesn't matter how you shoot it, a good plant is a good plant!

Keep it up buddy! You'll be inundated with pods in no time!
Thanks TBG!
Its not to bad if you plan. My problem was wanting 80+ different varieties. If I could of sowed 1 seed of each no problem. That never happens. I actually had a handul that didn't germinate at all. And others 100%. I can't see letting the left overs die after all the care I've given them. Should get interesting around here.

charlesquik said:
I just really like purple leaves peppers! They are just magnificent. 

I should buy a nice camera too, because my phone camera just make crappy picture and doesn't capture the essence of what I'm trying to show. 

I see you are doing great Chuck!

Btw is there a reason for the plastic wrap around your plants? Is it to keep humidity and save on water?

Thanks Chuck!
My camera was a hand me down from my girlfriend, when she got a new one. I like the pics, but hate the time it takes to add to post. My phone is instant while I'm in the garden. She has one that is wifi and can instantly send from camera. Mine does not. Its all good. Like Axle Rose said, "Just a little patience".

Oh yes, that is solar mulch. Rick (stickman) turned me on to it.

This is what "Johnny Seeds" says about the plastic solar mulch. http://www.johnnyseeds.com/tools-supplies/mulches-and-landscape-fabric/solid-plastic-polyethylene-mulch/solar-mulch---4-x-50-9738.html

"Near-infrared light passes through while visible light is blocked. The results of using black solar mulch are suppressed weed growth and warmer soil temperatures than with black poly mulch. Heat-loving plants, such as melons, squash, pumpkins, cucumbers, and eggplants, grow faster and produce earlier."

Here in Colorado the temps are 90's in the day and 40-50's at night. This should help my ground temps at night. I have noticed the plants don't need as much water as well. I've got a little piece left I want to try outside the green house. I don't know if they would get cooked in straight sun at my elevation. The Sun is intense.

Back