• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

OCD 2017!!!

Well it's 2017. Finally! Last year was a success, as far as the ground plants were concerned. Virgin, clay ground. My Chinese got smacked by hail twice! No room for error with those. Out of 12 plants I got ONE BBG. First and only. That variety is cursed. Tried for the past 3 years and some sort of calimity happens.

This year I decided to try 21+ different varieties of the BBG. I have 9 Reaper crosses. 21 and counting other varieties. I built a hoophouse and some COB led's. Planning on getting them outside in March sometime. That might be a delusion, beings I'm in Colorado. We shall see. There is only a few varieties that I've grown before. The rest are all new. I'm planning on isolating most of them.

Just started some Lemon Drops for Throwdown Growdown. I will wait a couple weeks before I start the others. Everything needs to be in order before I germinate. No turning back at that point. I want two plants from most varieties. Plants need to be woody by ground day. That's the only way I have a chance at success with late maturity varieties. If I have extras, I'll give away to my friends of THP.

My list is growing, but not much. Here is some of the varieties that made the cut.

Naga BBG (Red)
Chocolate BBG
Orange BBG (ISO)
BBG x PDN
Tobago Treasure x BBG
Red Gum Tiger Mamp
BBG Peach Ghost Jami
BBG Cluster
BBG Yellow (large)
BBG Scorpion
Aji Jobito x BBG
Red Gum Nagabrain Tiger Mamp
Peach Bhut BBG
BBG Apocalypse
Bhutla x BBG
Srtsl x BBG
7pot Lava Chocolate x BBG
Bleeding Borg9
Tommy Gum
Orange Naga BBG
Peach Naga BBG

Reaper x Red Mayan Habanero
Reaper x Yellow Scorpion
Reaper x Purple Bhut
Reaper x Pimenta
Reaper x Peach Bhut
Naga Reaper
Brainstrain x Reaper
Sepia Reaper x Neyde
ButchT x Reaper

Congo x ButchT
Peach Ghost Scorpion x Primo
Apocalypse Scorpion
Black Bhutlah Scorpion
Primo
Chocolate Primo
Baby Morich
Scorpion XXX (Holiday)
Fidalgo Roxa x Grao De Bode
Nagabon
BOC (Gary)
Andy's King BOC
Bhut Peach
Jigsaw x Habanero
Giant Trinidad Scorpion (Randy)
Taba Naga
Perfect red Bhut (Rick)
Fatalii Gourmet Jigsaw (Jukka)
Scotch Brain (ISO)
Naga Brain Yellow
Rocato (Chinese) (Jukka)

3Way Caribbean Red
4Way Caribbean Red
Foodarama
Sicman's Mystery (Red, Purple Spots) (Jason)
SB7J (UFO) (Justin)
Venezuela Tiger x SRTSL
Mustard Moruga Brain
Black Panther
Aji Lemondrop
Aji Pineapple
Aji Amarillo
Sadabahar
Chi-Chien
Goats Weed

Thanks for stopping by. Wish you all the best of luck in 2017.

Plants are moving along nicely. I wish they were bigger but are doing well. They have a nice root system. I will pot up this week. I picked up a couple of bails of peat, a big bag of perlite, and a 30lb bag of castings. I will add compost to the mix. Oh, I also picked up 2 more yards if 1/4inch compost. I'll use that in the potting mix. Got another 12x20 shade cloth as well. I have to work this weekend. As soon as time changes I'll be able to get some things done after work. I want to get plastic up and order some plastic mulch this week. Things are starting to come along. Here's some pics from phone. I have some on the camera, but it's time consuming getting it to post. Phone is instant. Sorry.

Attachments

• IMG_1256.JPG
    IMG_1256.JPG
    219.6 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1258.JPG
    IMG_1258.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1259.JPG
    IMG_1259.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1264.JPG
    IMG_1264.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1257.JPG
    IMG_1257.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1261.JPG
    IMG_1261.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1268.JPG
    IMG_1268.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1265.JPG
    IMG_1265.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1267.JPG
    IMG_1267.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 58
Devv said:
Looking good Chuck!

Yes time for new shoes. And then they will explode. Good plans you have!

Wishing you all the best!
Thanks Scott!

I just got off work. Worked late so I don't have to work tomorrow. The last thing on the list was tie rod ends and rear tires on a newer International semi. 4 tires at the end of the day killed my back.

I'll see how I feel tomorrow. If backs good, I'll mix some soil.

Mixed some soil this morning. Got some help. Free labor! I just need to fill the pots and I'm ready.

The mix is 1 bail of peat, 3/4 bag of perlite, 1 1/2 wheel barrow of compost, 1/2 bag of castings, and couple handfuls of Myco. When I pot up I'll add some azomite and granular fertilizer. Got a couple more seeds to sow. Dang! I need to lose some weight. LOL!

Attachments

• IMG_1278.JPG
    IMG_1278.JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1279.JPG
    IMG_1279.JPG
    213.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1281.JPG
    IMG_1281.JPG
    181.9 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1282.JPG
    IMG_1282.JPG
    166.3 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1285.JPG
    IMG_1285.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1283.JPG
    IMG_1283.JPG
    177.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1284.JPG
    IMG_1284.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 60
Hi Chuck!

Glad to see your son getting his hands dirty ;)  And he looks just like you! Mine plants a garden, just warms me up knowing he's doing it.

For the IRT mulch: I made some sod staples out of 8 or 10 gauge galvanized wire I had laying around. I cut them 13"s long 1"x6" when bent. They work really well, Rick gave me the idea. The IRT really works! The soil was a lot warmer than the rest of the soil when I planted the Annuum's. It should really help extend your season, that and the hoop house.

Here's some hoop house temps I recorded a ways back for reference:

45 was 56 cloudy
46 was 70 sun out for just a bit 2-3
45 was 60 clouded up 2-3
64 and 70 at 4:30 sunny 2-4
47 and 80 at 3:30 sunny 2-5
31 and 52 at 1:00  cloudy 2-6
30 and 50 at 2PM  cloudy 2-7
37 and 41 at 8AM cloudy 2-8
cold as hell 2-9 to 2-13
68 and 93 3:30PM Sunny, all day 2-14
68 and 94 12 noon Sunny all day 2-15
77 and 80 3PM both ends opened up, thermometer shaded by a piece of cardboard 2-15

OCD Chilehead said:
Mixed some soil this morning. Got some help. Free labor! I just need to fill the pots and I'm ready.

The mix is 1 bail of peat, 3/4 bag of perlite, 1 1/2 wheel barrow of compost, 1/2 bag of castings, and couple handfuls of Myco. When I pot up I'll add some azomite and granular fertilizer. Got a couple more seeds to sow. Dang! I need to lose some weight. LOL!

Most excellent! Glad to see you have re-potting well in hand and with your boy helping you. I got bitten by the gardening bug helping my Mom, and the lessons I learned with her have been with me always. :)

Devv said:
Hi Chuck!

Glad to see your son getting his hands dirty ;)  And he looks just like you! Mine plants a garden, just warms me up knowing he's doing it.

For the IRT mulch: I made some sod staples out of 8 or 10 gauge galvanized wire I had laying around. I cut them 13"s long 1"x6" when bent. They work really well, Rick gave me the idea. The IRT really works! The soil was a lot warmer than the rest of the soil when I planted the Annuum's. It should really help extend your season, that and the hoop house.

Here's some hoop house temps I recorded a ways back for reference:

45 was 56 cloudy
46 was 70 sun out for just a bit 2-3
45 was 60 clouded up 2-3
64 and 70 at 4:30 sunny 2-4
47 and 80 at 3:30 sunny 2-5
31 and 52 at 1:00  cloudy 2-6
30 and 50 at 2PM  cloudy 2-7
37 and 41 at 8AM cloudy 2-8
cold as hell 2-9 to 2-13
68 and 93 3:30PM Sunny, all day 2-14
68 and 94 12 noon Sunny all day 2-15
77 and 80 3PM both ends opened up, thermometer shaded by a piece of cardboard 2-15

Thanks for the additional input Scott, you're more scientific about it than I am. Lol!

Nice Bro !  Great to see father - n -  son bonding , makes for good memories and a secure atmosphere for that good looking son you have , also a new generation chili head in the making    :party: .  Did any of the bbg pumpkins pop yet ?  zero yet here . Hopefully soon .  No outside work here , looking at 3" to 6 " snow tonight . but very soon .

moruga welder said:
Nice Bro !  Great to see father - n -  son bonding , makes for good memories and a secure atmosphere for that good looking son you have , also a new generation chili head in the making    :party: .  Did any of the bbg pumpkins pop yet ?  zero yet here . Hopefully soon .  No outside work here , looking at 3" to 6 " snow tonight . but very soon .
Thanks Frank.

The Pumpkjns have sprouted. They were a little stubborn. Took over a week. I shouldn't get so impatient. That's still good time. I like it better when it's a few days. LOL. I put them in the Aerogarden. I try and let them germinate to the point the helmet falls off. One less thing to worry about. And re root is more developed. Ziplock baggy method.

Thanks Fab.

Yes you are correct. I purchased them from Fords. Don't know if I'll be starting them this year, but I have on hand. Next round is Aji Amarillo, Gochu, Chi-Chien, Sadabahar, and possibly Goats Weed. I think I'm done with most of the Chinese. Now it's time to focuse on the potting up. I think, I have just enough space for this project.

This kind of ambitious operation would have me in a 6 foot hole.

That was meant as a compliment, but it's also true. I'm pretty sure my wife would sneak up behind me with a 4-pound sledge if I were to get any more industrious than I already am, bribes like her favorite squash and *ick* beets notwithstanding...

Nice operation, Chuck. I envy you the enthusiastic helper. It takes an act of Congress and a good loud whip to get my kids to pull a weed...

Back