• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest October ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah yeah, butcher paper, pay by the pound... love the German BBQ joints.

You got it right hot blue and righteous THP. My mother just did a 2 week road trip to family down Corpus Christi way and scouted some property in Round Rock outside of Austin. I'm hoping she grabs a house around Round Rock which will give me an excuse to hit Franklin's BBQ in Austin and then on to Lockhart. Black's would be my destination of choice. Have mercy!

I need to take a trip to Austin. I've got a friend down 'dar, and I need to hit you up as well!

Should October be German BBQ? (smokehouse style). No plates, only butcher paper ;). Nice BBQ weather, and we haven't done it in awhile for a TD.

You got it right hot blue and righteous THP. My mother just did a 2 week road trip to family down Corpus Christi way and scouted some property in Round Rock outside of Austin. I'm hoping she grabs a house around Round Rock which will give me an excuse to hit Franklin's BBQ in Austin and then on to Lockhart. Black's would be my destination of choice. Have mercy!
...well if she moves to Round Rock, thats only about 5 miles from the hacienda here. :dance:

I need to take a trip to Austin. I've got a friend down 'dar, and I need to hit you up as well!

Should October be German BBQ? (smokehouse style). No plates, only butcher paper ;). Nice BBQ weather, and we haven't done it in awhile for a TD.
It is great BBQ weather, however there is still a burn ban in effect around here which INCLUDES a ban on outdoor BBQ's using wood or charcoal(with only 1" of rain since October, and half the State being on fire... it's unfortunantly understandable, but still sucks)...
...even worse, you will get a ticket if they see you smoking a cigerette outside of you house or vehical. Seriously ridiculous, but true. :crazy:

TB lives 30 minutes from me...but if THP is gonna head through TX...maybe it's time for a THP/TB/Coach/LB party.

Back to the TD...German style BBQ...I think I can handle that.

That would basically be smoked brisket and sausage, potato salad, etc.

We could just do Oktoberfest; German and German-inspired food (elements of Texas BBQ, etc.).

Here here to Black's in Lockhart. Good stuff.

I live in Cedar Creek, TX (just west of Bastrop) and the ban on BBQ is not nearly as stringent for us. Weird, huh?

The sausage making one we did was awesome (was not an Oktoberfest one). And it's always awesome when members make their own bread. Let's take it up a notch. Both!

Germans are known for a variety of sausages and breads. This TD could be two components, homemade only of course (anyone can buy sausage or bread)... sausage and bread! Does not have to be a sandwich. Cooked any way. Get creative.

Pictured with a märzen style beer, which of course can be used in the cooking.

Ex: Trinidad Scorpion Cheddarwurst on a pretzel roll... etc., etc!

If there are naysayers saying you don't own a sausage machine, there are ways to stuff a sausage that are DIY just look it up. :) Plus, these are not supposed to be easy.

Oktoberfest 3
Sausage, Bread, and Beer. Can't go wrong.

Man where ohhh where am I going to be able to find beer for oktoberfest

Could we make the beer as an ingredient optional - maybe have to have some with but not necessarily in? I have to admit I wasn't a huge fan of that last year.

Edit: It occurs to me that not all sausage is stuffed inside a casing. Just sayin'.....

Could we make the beer as an ingredient optional - maybe have to have some with but not necessarily in? I have to admit I wasn't a huge fan of that last year.
Yes, it already says it just has to be in the pic as a bevy, not in the food. :)
EDIT: My bad was supposed to say can be used in the cooking. Left that word out.

Edit: It occurs to me that not all sausage is stuffed inside a casing. Just sayin'.....
This is true but the rules have not been written, and will most likely require casings to keep it German.

Even though we live in the middle of no-where with a year round population of 1000, There's 3 butchers that all make Bratwurst of all kinds, and 4 bakeries that do the same with bread = 2 things I don't make...

I'm out.

I'll vote tho...

Let's say you do not have to keep it German. This is a fun one where you can BBQ, or whatever.

If you guys think outside the box you can do it w/o a machine; fatties on the Q with bacon as the casing. The bread could be cornbread. Just saying that right there is BBQ and not German. Let's make this fun. Homemade sausage and homemade bread is not hard, and the possibilities are endless. Could be and Italian hero, or dinner, or Indian, with naan and a kebab, etc. Or traditional German. Thoughts?

the fact that my pretzel and leg of lamb, along with the two beers that I made did not win last year seriously angered me, and my vengeance will not be taken lightly

DSC_0116.jpg

prepare to meet your maker

I like your chances.

BTW, finally found your beer in Miami at Total Wine.
Which one did you dip your toe in the most? I'd like to try one that you developed.

Has paul been around since camping? Hope he found his way home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back