beer Official Brewdown Thread!!!

I agree with you on starting off with something easy but that will allow the brewer some room to decide whether to brew it straight up or to add something that will make it their own.

I think we're all beyond any extract or partials however if someone wanted to join in that only does those then they should be able to.

wheebz said:
I mean we can start it off easy

what does everyone wanna do?

My top starter ideas would be:

I think every one of us brews porters, and most if not all like stouts too ...
Best beer based on Maris Otter ...
Best Dry-Hopped Beer ...
We could do <=2 max - 2x grains, 2x hops, & 2x yeasties ...

... or we could just all do open-ferment's!

grantmichaels said:

My top starter ideas would be:

I think every one of us brews porters, and most if not all like stouts too ...
Best beer based on Maris Otter ...
Best Dry-Hopped Beer ...
We could do <=2 max - 2x grains, 2x hops, & 2x yeasties ...

... or we could just all do open-ferment's!

Do these as SMaSH, they would be really simple to do and not as expensive for any on limited funds.

sorry but as a judge I do not want to drink a bunch of bottles of "open ferments"

I am down for all marris otter and a single hop variety of your choosing 

wheebz said:
sorry but as a judge I do not want to drink a bunch of bottles of "open ferments"

I am down for all marris otter and a single hop variety of your choosing 

haha ... come on! ... i've already done one that came out pretty fucking drinkable - and so has Ozzy ... and RM want to do a lambic-type ...

i don't know why you wouldn't want to spend a night drinking a half-dozen open-ferment's from your friend on the pepper forum ... sheesh!

i'll wrap that puppy up in a fermwrap and put in front of a sunny window with a bunch of fruit and bugs ...
tctenten said:
What do you guys mean by "open ferments"?

in this case, when you don't seal the fermenter ... you might cover it w/ a piece of cheesecloth, or a paper towel to limit gross-size objects, but mostly keep the backpressure to a minimum and let the critters from the environment get in there and add an element of randomness to the outcome ...

i have to say, the one i made was kind of tasty ...

tctenten said:
Interesting...will google it...but my first thought is about the exposure to oxygen.  Thought that, like exposure to light is a big no-no.

So long as the yeast are still there in good health, I think they deal w/ the compounds produced from the oxidation, which is a bit less than one would imagine because it's mostly off-gas'ing CO2 and pushing gas out of the fermenter ...

It's a good reason to fill the fermenter high, though, to limit the surface area, I imagine ...

I think the Brett bugs have more moves-like-Jagger for the funky swagger ...

I'm more for the Maris otter or a single hop. I haven't really found a sour that I'm particularly fond of yet. I can't in to brewing something I don't really like.

Back