• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Oldsalty competition practice ribs

oldsalty said:
Nice!! Whatcha Cooking? Love hickory, cherry mix gotta have hickory for that bacon flavored pork!! :)
sweet rub and bbq sauce.  I smoke for 3 hours then wrap in foil to finish.  I got some bacon. stout beer collards on the stove and some rice cooking and some bourbon in my glass

jedisushi06 said:
sweet rub and bbq sauce.  I smoke for 3 hours then wrap in foil to finish.  I got some bacon. stout beer collards on the stove and some rice cooking and some bourbon in my glass
Well brother sounds like yer sailing smooth sea's !!! :) y'all got the right fixings and the perfect glass of spirits. Hope yer cook goes as smooth as yer bourbon hahaha.
Cheers

Those ribs look mighty tasty, and are sure winners to me. Good luck with the comp brother. I'll be eagerly awaiting your rub recipe.

SR.

Me want em ribs!!
Those looks great! Imma have to try the demerara! Great idea, I've used it for mole and a couple other Mexican things but never thought about using it for American Bbq!

SL3 said:
Damn! I can smell that all the way on the West Coast! You're killing me over here! SFRB please!  :drooling:
Ok there in the mail :) lol
Shorerider said:
Those ribs look mighty tasty, and are sure winners to me. Good luck with the comp brother. I'll be eagerly awaiting your rub recipe.
SR.
Thanks brother!!!
El Angeleno said:
Me want em ribs!!
Those looks great! Imma have to try the demerara! Great idea, I've used it for mole and a couple other Mexican things but never thought about using it for American Bbq!
Thanks !! :) yeah EL Angeleno works fantastic!! Hoping this will help me get a leg up on the competition.
My mother actually gave me the idea! She was cooking with it I kept tasting it. Then boom!!! BBQ :)

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
oldsalty, if those don't win, I'll eat my hat. As long as you're in charge of barbecuing it. I love sweet ribs and those look like how I want mine to turn out when I smoke. Good job!

Dibs.
Hahaha thanks my friend!!!! I'm really excited doing another batch this weekend with my team. Get the kinks out and the crew ship shape!!

LUCKYDOG said:
Do you do chicken as well? I'm looking to get that "bite" thru the skin without it slappin' my chin 

Oh boy that doesnt sound right  :doh:

I think oldsalty does the ole remove skin, scrape fat, slap skin back on, toothpick. 

It's tricky but I have a couple ways.

Separating the skin is important but I don't remove, use a spoon from one open area of the skin and use the curvature to work around until it is all separated from the surface but still attached.

Make a compound butter with dried peppers and BBQ rub, roll it in freezer paper and put in a freezer bag and freeze it. Slice off a few rounds, and stick them under the skin before they hit the grill/smoker.

The frozen state ensures the skin is raised as is begins to crisp letting air in, and also, you can go all summer off of a roll.

LUCKYDOG said:
Do you do chicken as well? I'm looking to get that "bite" thru the skin without it slappin' my chin 

Oh boy that doesnt sound right  :doh:
Well looks like the boss has that covered!!! :) slapping my chin!!! Hahaha

I start my thighs for the first hour 225 then bump to 300/325 and finish cooking this guarantees bite thru skin.
I also usually just pull skin from thighs leaving on edge attached if possible I removed in pics for easier demo. And I like using a spoon to scrape.

If you do a lot of thighs then I'd buy a Teflon or those rubber like cup cake molds drill half inch hole in bottom of each. For cupcake chicken Myron Mixon style he use stock to begin cook placing thighs upside down in mold and add stock to just cover bottom of chicken he starts his cook this way then flips and finishes. You can find his technique on line to get all the details. This method works great especially if you have a lot of chicken to cook. I've used it many times works great.

Here's one from the vault. Damn getting all my secrets. Smoke your brined chicken one hour with no rub, an hour into cooking when the skin has "set" spoon fry oil (oil heated as to deep fry) over the chicken liberally to crisp the skin, let smoke another 20 minutes, then rub up your chicken for the rest of the cook.

The Hot Pepper said:
Here's one from the vault. Damn getting all my secrets. Smoke your brined chicken one hour with no rub, an hour into cooking when the skin has "set" spoon fry oil (oil heated as to deep fry) over the chicken liberally to crisp the skin, let smoke another 20 minutes, then rub up your chicken for the rest of the cook.

That one makes a lot of sense to me.

The Hot Pepper said:
Very nice boss a traditional French technique!! :)

The Hot Pepper said:
Thought of that but Im not looking for crispy crunchy skin just a thin skin that has a nice bite and doesnt slap you back . I like the flavor of the chicken with the skin. Im diggin' the compound butter idea though...  :think:

Sorry OS for hijacking ribs thread with chicken which BTW look A-mazing!! :drooling:

LUCKYDOG said:
Thought of that but Im not looking for crispy crunchy skin just a thin skin that has a nice bite and doesnt slap you back . I like the flavor of the chicken with the skin. Im diggin' the compound butter idea though...  :think:

Dude you gotta try it with jerk too. Take the jerk rub and make a compound butter the same way and stuff that under the skin. I like keeping compound butters in the freezer they come in handy. And they work great from the frozen state.

The Hot Pepper said:
Dude you gotta try it with jerk too. Take the jerk rub and make a compound butter the same way and stuff that under the skin. I like keeping compound butters in the freezer they come in handy. And they work great from the frozen state.
Ooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh love that one boss!!!!!

LUCKYDOG said:

Sorry OS for hijacking ribs thread with chicken which BTW look A-mazing!! :drooling:
Yer not hijacking LuckyDog !!! It's all good in BBQ Love!!! :)

Back