• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Omri's Red Seasoning - The Best Seasoning EVER!

I noticed lately I'm using a lot of dried peppers when I'm cooking. So I thought to myself, why not make a seasoning out of them?
The thing is, some of those peppers are much alike, with tiny differences. I need to be smart about the combination.

The base:
peppervb2.jpg

"1" is my all time favorite dry pepper, because it tastes (and smells) so damn good, with very little heat.
I mean, I can cook a dish with it, and even a little child could eat it.
"2" is very nice as well, it adds a nice combo of taste, scent and color, again with a small amount of heat (but a lot hotter than "1").
"3" is pretty much the same as "2", just without any heat (although it does have a bit more of that fruity flavor).
"4" is the weirdest pepper ever, I get it in large bags and no name.
Tastes a lot like "5".
"5" is actually sold in some places as "2" (liars!!!), but it's nothing alike.
It has a more "smoky" flavor, something I can't really explain.
"6" is sold in some places at "3", but I know better.
It's like "5", but without the heat.
"7" is here just because it has the most amazing scent ever, I think someone should make a perfume based on it.
Oh yeah, it has a pretty decent heat (50,000SHU at most).
"8" is the same as "7", I just thought that only one would look lonely.
"9" tastes like shit (am I allowed to say shit? :O), but it has a very nice heat (100,000SHU+ EASY!).
I'll add just few of those.
I'm thinking that "2","3","5","6" and maybe even "4" are crosses (or at least some of them), and they have the same parent (or maybe one of them is the parent).

The nice thing is, all those peppers have the (almost) identical beautiful red color, and it will look good as a seasoning.
"1" to "6" are peppers from Asia, and "7" to "9" are from Africa.

I'm thinking of adding some dry herbs to the mix, and of course some salt.
As a seasoning, it will look like something made from one pepper, but it will have the amazing qualities of them all.
I'll get a coffee grinder on Sunday, and start working on the magical seasoning.
My goal is spicing up a dish with one seasoning.

If you guys have any recommendations (like what herbs to use or not, and what peppers to add to this already amazing mix), write them down and submit them as a comment. :lol:
I almost forgot, if you recommend a pepper, it has to be a red one. :)

BTW, here's a tip.
DO NOT handle "9" without gloves, and more specifically don't itch anything before washing your hands real good, because my face is on fire!
:mouthonfire:

I think that, assuming you're going for a seasoning with only red peppers (hence the name red seasoning ^.~) you should go for some kind of red habaneros. Their flavor and aroma are great dried. I recently made a delicious mix consisting of Orange Habanero, Jalapeno,and Banana peppers, and I have to say it's the best spice I've ever had. Great on Nachoes, amazing on Pizza...mmm...And wicked hot, too ^.^

~Trexxen

I grow 50 different Chilei's. Jalapeno and Gold Cayenne the mildest, Naga and Bhut, the Hottest.
Grind even amount of each just for my base. It has a good burn.
Dan

LET IT BURN

fisting_mayfield said:
You gonna name the peppers, or leave us guessing what they are?
I'm not 100% sure about their names, so I'd prefer not naming them for now.

Trexxen said:
I think that, assuming you're going for a seasoning with only red peppers (hence the name red seasoning ^.~) you should go for some kind of red habaneros. Their flavor and aroma are great dried. I recently made a delicious mix consisting of Orange Habanero, Jalapeno,and Banana peppers, and I have to say it's the best spice I've ever had. Great on Nachoes, amazing on Pizza...mmm...And wicked hot, too ^.^

~Trexxen
I'm adding some caribbean habs to the mix, and also some kashmiri peppers.

bowhunter said:
I grow 50 different Chilei's. Jalapeno and Gold Cayenne the mildest, Naga and Bhut, the Hottest.
Grind even amount of each just for my base. It has a good burn.
Dan

LET IT BURN
If it won't have enough heat, the nagas are going in.

If you like the burn then just put the nagas in . Try smoking some then dry and grind adds a great flavor and heat.
Dan

LET IT BURN

stillmanz said:
What else are you going to add to give it some balance?
Balance? some peppers are just for the flavor, some just smell really good and some are hot.
If you're talking about something other than peppers, then I'm still thinking about it.

Yeah I meant spices somethi n like that would do well with some cummin corriander and all spice maybe? What you reckn?

Actually, I like Omri's idea. Cumin or allspice can push the seasoning in one direction or another...and limit (to a degree) which recipes one would use them in.
I've had various pepper shakes that are, well, pepper-flavored...and as such, you can use them on/in anything.

But that's just my opinion.

I have a question for Omri though.....are you going to send out samples?!? Sounds good to me....mystery and all.

Sounds like you may be having an interesting red powder mix there. I absolutely love SCORCHING HOT..........yet oddly I like the flavors to compliment eachother still. So of course you gotta put some naga's in it:D Sounds like with the peppers you have as choices you can have something pretty tasty too.

P.S- I have yet to try a naga, but I already know I'm gonna like em....lol!!

Back