• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

One last shot at it... DeNNiZ 2015 glog

so the past two years, ive been devastated with something i did not know.  it was a plague that consumed my plants late in 2013 and all year in 2014!!  this past fall, i had a chance to take a SOIL and PEST MANAGEMENT class and it was here where i learned what i was fighting..

i sent my plants to a lab and from there they diagnosed my issue to be ERIOPHYID MITES.. these guys are MICROSCOPIC (can be seen with 60x loupe) 
and have consumed my desire to grow...  it was hard to fight something i did not know was even there.  now that i do.. i am ready to try again ....

WELCOME to my 2015 growlog!!

heres a little something to help me with my fight.. thanks romy6 for the suggestions

the last of the pods i got

and now on to my grow... lets skip the seed part as ive killed everything outside and started some indoors already

what a difference 2 days makes in the aerogarden

got this tepin @ a burger joint.. snapped a branch and got it to root... first flower...

local buddy in san diego got me soem seeds from his PINK TIGER pods... he was the only one i knew stateside the got the results he wanted.  i have about 8 plants going.. hoping for one to continue to trait

these 3 pink tigers dont look as purple due to only getting window light and no direct sunlight

CGN24360.. i think,,,,,

the bigger boys... dont recall.. but have some PRIMOS... SB x yellow 7... just to name a few

need a bump....

I'll chime in - glad you're back on, and I hope you take it to those mites! Did you find anything in your classes to combat them (apart from Jamie's suggestion that is)?  Do they have natural predators?

Great luck this season!

Scorched said:
Nice to see you giving it another shot. Hope everything works out for you this year man. Some nice green healthy plants you've got going. Hope the pink tigers grow out proper for you, some cool looking pods.
This will truly be my final year st this level.. it's disheartening all the time and effort spent ..all to feed the bugs

As for the pink tigers. I'm hopeful as the seeds I have are 3rd generation at least

The variety is unstable

Thanks for dropping by.
Coldgrowth said:
Good luck controlling the pests this time!

How did your miracle fruit plants do? They seem to be some fragile organisms!
I hope so... now that I know what I'm dealing with. Should be better...

As for the miracle fruit I had maybe 20 fruits from plants. Prolly didn't give them optimal conditions
midwestchilehead said:
Good luck, and I hope you whip those nasty little bugs.
thanks John... hope to keep them out.. now with my new found knowledge... hope to have a monster year like ya'll do

Jeff H said:
Dennis, good luck this year bud.

I hear you on the damn mites. They haven't devastated my whole crop like they have at your place, but all of my pubes seem to get repeatedly infested every year and the destruction really hurts fruit production. I'll be following your grow again this year to see if your sulfur works.

I do have the same microscope as you, bought it last year so I wouldn't just be guessing at what was killing my monzanos. It is handy. Those mites look really creepy at 60X. (mine are broad mites as far as I can tell)
yawpp... not only do i have my tiny mites.. but also the red ones that kill my maters and other veggies.. this year.. predatory mites!!!

Alchymystic said:
Don't give up is right, keep at it! Looks to be an already excellent start to this growing season... will certainly keep an eye on any updates. Can't wait to get those Red MOA Scotch Bonnets started I got from you! Best of luck- show those buggers whose boss! :twisted:
im trying not to give up.. but one can only be heart broken this much... good luck with them red scotch bonnets mon

SL3 said:
Yes sir, glad to see your back in the game. I had followed some of your misfortunes, as two seasons ago I seemed to be attacked by something very similar, if not identical. For some odd reason last year I was left alone for most the season, until about October where I started loosing some plants in my raised beds, which for the most part I was ready to pull anyways. But I think what if I get hit earlier in the season what would I do, so I will be watching as to what success you will be having with the sulfur. Best of luck to you my friend. 
get yourself a loupe 60x.. $5 on ebay and can help confirm..unlike mine.. took it to a lab that cost me $150!!

sicman said:
Looking like a great start. Best of luck this year.
thanks sic.. hope you have a bumper year like you normally do.. good luck with your new greenhouse OP

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
Hey Denniz,  Sorry to hear about your microscopic bug problem you have had the last couple years and hope you can arrest that this season.  My first thought from looking at all your plants inside now may be that they are over fertilized.  The plants are a very dark green with lot of soft green vegetative material for the mites to suck and live on.  I know you want your plants to have the very best, but overdoing the ferts can be detrimental to your bug problem.  Good luck in 2015!
thanks for the heads up... i dont do much ferts other than whats on the aerogarden nutes

Devv said:
Glad to see such nice looking plant Denniz!

And yes, never give up!

This is my third season here, and I saw the sulfur tip on Jamie's glog the first year. It works really well and does kill aphids. If you add 1% pyrethrum, it will get them first round in many cases.

Good luck this season, you're off to a great start!
Scott..hope i dont have to use the sulfur... but its hard not to..hope to have a bumper crop so i can repay you for your awesome packages..

One of the last harvest ar my sisters yard. Debating if I should pull it or let them be..
As they also succumb to the same micromites I had there

I will be bold and eat a whole pod! !

I pulled this from the aero since it was cramped up.. didn't want to raise the lights and make the others struggle

To hydro or to soil...

To sow. Or not to sow...

Maras biber- John Ford

JMoA- Andrew B. Moved from aerogarden to soil. (Update going thru bad shock)

Pink tiger window sill

Rhomboideum topped due to the tip getting fried by the metal plate

Pink Tiger. ..."big brother"

Sexy Flexoseum

got a cutting from a local burger joint and got it to root.. its a mere 6" tall but look at her go

buddy on FB sent me his Jepins f9.. its a jalapeno x tepin

moved this from the aerogarden into this temp housing ( update in less than 24 hrs its lost most of its foilage.) complete shock right now.. put it back in the aero with no lights.. hope it gets up.. BTW its a PRIMO- seeds from troy himself

Damascus pepper- John Ford.. along with a Pink TIger in the middle

also still busy sowing seeds--borg9-chocolate

yellow pixie and Butch T harvested from sisters yard yesterday...plants have overcome(still fighting off mites)

cumari parana -CPMAN1974 doing well from aerogarden to soil

aslo got my maters out and ready to go...selection chosen by my girls

yes..strawberries in february

also started messing with sowing my own plumerias

and the last few pods from my sick evergreens at work

Lots to like here, Denniz!  You have a lot going on!

Keep at it! Those plants are looking good. Hopefully you can over throw those mites. Nasty things. Nice collection, good luck in 2015.

Devv said:
Very nice Denniz!

Glad to see the success you're having this season!
Trying to keep them healthy... but when I'm starting to see red mites on a couple plants here and there it's no good esp when they are still indoors. Ahah
ThePepperTrent said:
Keep at it! Those plants are looking good. Hopefully you can over throw those mites. Nasty things. Nice collection, good luck in 2015.
Thanks. I have an aerogarden in the garage I'm trying to grow and keep far away from the rest

I've had critters invade when the plants are in the grow shelf in the house. I can't imagine where they come from. This year it's been Aphids. Last year mites.

Don't cut them any slack!

Back