• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Operation Golden Garden 2014: Let's Get Started!

**Instead of starting an entirely new GLOG, I decided to tack 2014 on to the end of this one. So if you have already went through 2013's grow, just jump ahead to page 40.**

Before you go on, I would recommend you grab a beer or something else stiff to drink.  If you didnt follow my grow last time around, I have the tendency to go on, and on, and on, and on.  Also, I may not be the most "PC" out of the group, so if you are looking for clean language, on topic discussion, and general 'niceness', I am sure that I can point you in the right direction.

Ok, now that we got that out of the way....I AM STARTING A FREAKIN GROW LOG!  A quick bit of back story. Since I spent more time in high school partying than studying, I didn't have much of a choice following graduation. I decided to enlist in the Marines (there really isnt another choice) and now here I am 8 years and 5 deployments later.  This last go around I left the first few days of September and just got back yesterday (9 months for all the other 'non studying' folk).  As most of you know, if you want some bangin pepper plants, you need to start early, and May 25th aint early.  So right before I left I cut everything back and prayed to the pepper gods that my plants would make it through winter so I could have something to come home to.  Up until yesterday I thought that they were just taking time to put on some green, but when I walked through the fence to see my dogs, a ritual that I typically do after every deployment, I realized that the plants were not there and instead was four trays of new plants just waiting for planting.

Note:  IPhones are not the world's leading video recording devices.  And as a result, I may not be easily heard.  Dont worry, I didn't have much to say initially anyways, I was just a bit more surprised than anything.

For someone who seems to always talk a bit too much, I didnt have much to say initially.  I was freaking out inside and didnt know if my wife got them or what.  When she told me that the guys from THP did it, i was blown away.  You gotta understand, over the past 9 months Bill (RocketMan) organized a "Operation Hot Sauce" care package rotation for me and my guys.  A bunch of members here chipped in and sent packages of sauces, powders, peppers, and other treats to help make this deployment a bit more enjoyable.  To hear that they ALSO chipped in and GAVE ME A GROWING SEASON pretty much put me over the edge.  I know that I already messaged you guys but I wanna thank RocketMan, Coheed196, Romy6, KingDenniz, Silver_Surfer, STC3248, DesertChris, Sanarda, MuskyMojo, Pulpeteer, WalkGood, DocNRock. Stickman, Annie57, Pic 1, Pr0digal_Son, Jamison, Spicy Chicken, HighHalt, Fremp, SethSquach, 3/5 King, Patrick, Bigoldude again for helping make this happen for me.  And although giving me a garden was WAY MORE THAN ENOUGH, they also gave me a little sumpin sumpin that will help out picking up the last minute things that I need to make sure I have everything I need for the season!

So this morning, I got up early because I am still on Afghanistan time, cooked breakfast, and then after the family ate we went out to the garden to plant everything. 

The Peppers:
7 Pot
7 Pot Douglah
7 Pot Yellow
Aji Colorado
Bhut Jolokia
Bhut Jolokia Assam
Bhut Jolokia Yellow
Bonda ma Jaques
Cobra
Congo Trinidad
Fatalii
Jamaican Hot Chocolate
Lemon Drop
Marconi Giant Hybrid
TSMB 
TSMB Yellow
Naga Morich
Safi Red
Trinidad Scorpion
West Indian Red

Maters:
Black Krim
Black Pear

Oh, and did I tell you that THERE ARE 3 EACH?!?

Gettin to work tilling the rows a bit

The wife givin me a hand

The kiddo givin me a hand

Rows Complete

And Peppers in the ground!

Some goodies from Bill, Jeff and Bonnie (Bill also has goodies in the fridge :cheers:)

Parting Shot

RocketMan said:
Matt, I lovin your new White Screen. It's really highlighting the peppers in your pics. That 7 Pot Bubblegum looks like it was a fun pepper  :twisted:
Thanks Bill!  It was definitley tasty!

stc3248 said:
Yeah...project 1 this weekend....build light box. :rofl: I told you those BBG7s were no joke! Hahahahaha, once again tell Jess she gets a big thumbs up from me! She not only maintained her composure, but managed to look over at you with a "What's the big deal?" look on her face..."Then eat another piece!!!" hahaha was cracking up!
Don't forget to drink the beer first.  It won't work if the bottles are still in the box! And yea....she made me feel kinda like a bitch...

Pr0digal_son said:
Nice pics Matt. That last bubblegum shot is sweet. I have to go back and read about the lightbox. I made a cheap one with tissue paper. Need to find the time to use it. Are you using halogen light?
Thanks John, I am using a Daylight CFL.  Are Halogens better??

laynlow said:
Nice video!    Cant wait to get a hold of some of these seeds and try growing them next year.  Nice pics of those peppers too!
Thanks for stoppin in!  They are definitely a must grow!

1) Nice pod pic studio....I can tell my ever procrastinated camera purchase is going to become a real action item this year.
2) Charapitas...hows the flavor? I'm guessing petin like with a bit of citrus.
3)Those walls on the BBG's are nice and fat, and I'll be damned- there is red in the stems!I can actually watch the review now;),so I'll do that at lunch instead pester you for details;)
4) I hit the BBQ last night...damn, what a let down.....cooking as a hobby 'll just ruin other peoples food for you a lotta the time!"So , Howdjalahkit?" came the post meal query, "Oh, um , good stuff..."was the faked answer thinking to myself....a.) The ribs were allowed to get too cool before cutting and serving, b.)you're rub is way too salty(but will have people ordering more drinks/beer-nice for you, but...),c.)and they were a little dry(cough),  d.)Your sauce tastes like ass, and e.)I'll never be back! My go to place here in Houston(529 BBQ) is closed after 1400, so I had to try a new place that came highly rec'd.LOL-I will stick to late lunches for BBQ, or do it myself.Now I know better...AGAIN!
5)Hope that steak was good!
Have a good one-
DJ

Matt - love the video review and the comments about "doesnt taste like bubblegum" from the wife. Good thing she knows the peppers were hot, otherwise that could be one MEAN trick telling them the name of the pepper is Bubblegum.

My uncle does his own photography on his products using CFL daylight bulbs & White Nylon for almost 20 years now. For the price, you cant beat it!

Edward 40 hands - ahhh those were the days  :cool:

glad you got your box of peppers from Shane... when i met up with him on tuesday he had mention he would send...

his plants are monsters.. the brain strain plant he gave me are egg size pods!! great guy...

i had strange effects on the bubblegum... when i cut it up with a fork... i licked the fork and it was hot.. which made me back out from eating the pepper.... but i decided to do it anyways.... when i put the piece in my mouth .. it took 15 seconds before i even felt anything.. bubblegum taste.. ya right... glad the seeds i gave shane grew true...

hope you dont mind me posting my video.. glad to see your wife do a review with you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBR0yd5RkYM

Your wife took that pod like a trooper.  She did very well.  Was that her first super hot?  The baby is getting so big and is such a cutey.  I want to pinch his cheeks ahahaaaa  well done

Nice review of the 7 Pot BG. You have a beautiful family. I'm amazed you were able to get your wife to try it. My wife ate a large portion of a 7 Pot Jonah last year and it took me forever to get her to eat another pepper. It's nice when you can share your interest with someone you love. I see your son is already trying to get in on the act. He's a future pepper lover  for sure. It's been awhile since we've had a grow update. I hope you can shot a video soon. It's nice to see how my plants stack up against you pros.

Tim

Enjoyed that video Matt!

Glad the wife shared "pepper time" with you, I can't even get my wife to try weak arsed hot sauce let alone eat a super!

gnslngr said:
1) Nice pod pic studio....I can tell my ever procrastinated camera purchase is going to become a real action item this year.
2) Charapitas...hows the flavor? I'm guessing petin like with a bit of citrus.
3)Those walls on the BBG's are nice and fat, and I'll be damned- there is red in the stems!I can actually watch the review now;),so I'll do that at lunch instead pester you for details;)
4) I hit the BBQ last night...damn, what a let down.....cooking as a hobby 'll just ruin other peoples food for you a lotta the time!"So , Howdjalahkit?" came the post meal query, "Oh, um , good stuff..."was the faked answer thinking to myself....a.) The ribs were allowed to get too cool before cutting and serving, b.)you're rub is way too salty(but will have people ordering more drinks/beer-nice for you, but...),c.)and they were a little dry(cough),  d.)Your sauce tastes like ass, and e.)I'll never be back! My go to place here in Houston(529 BBQ) is closed after 1400, so I had to try a new place that came highly rec'd.LOL-I will stick to late lunches for BBQ, or do it myself.Now I know better...AGAIN!
5)Hope that steak was good!
Have a good one-
DJ

What up man! Great to see ya back in the zoo.  A decent camera is a must have in this game, I use it all the time.  And now I am looking into a new video camera....the old isight camera in my computer is really pissing me off.  The Charapitas have a nice quick heat.  I would compare it to a pimento de cheiro-type.  if you want good BBQ.....ya got to do it yourself!!  And the steak was the bees knees!

BrooklynXpat said:
Matt - love the video review and the comments about "doesnt taste like bubblegum" from the wife. Good thing she knows the peppers were hot, otherwise that could be one MEAN trick telling them the name of the pepper is Bubblegum.

My uncle does his own photography on his products using CFL daylight bulbs & White Nylon for almost 20 years now. For the price, you cant beat it!

Edward 40 hands - ahhh those were the days  :cool:
lol, she definitely had me cracking up! Ill probably try the nylon, the paper is too thick.

Pulpiteer said:
Family pepper review!  Well done!  I've been thinking about growing those bubblegum 7's for next year, and your review definitely has me leaning that way now.
Yup!  It was a nice family gathering....I was surprised that I didn't end up on the couch!  Thanks for stoppin in, those BBGs are a must grow!

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
glad you got your box of peppers from Shane... when i met up with him on tuesday he had mention he would send...

his plants are monsters.. the brain strain plant he gave me are egg size pods!! great guy...

i had strange effects on the bubblegum... when i cut it up with a fork... i licked the fork and it was hot.. which made me back out from eating the pepper.... but i decided to do it anyways.... when i put the piece in my mouth .. it took 15 seconds before i even felt anything.. bubblegum taste.. ya right... glad the seeds i gave shane grew true...

hope you dont mind me posting my video.. glad to see your wife do a review with you
No worries bro, great review.  Gotta do it once ya put your mind to it!  Shane definitely knows how to grow em!

adamk2212 said:

Wow, talk about generous. Not only was Matt nice enough to send some MoA seeds but he also throws in all of this!!!!

Awesome, man, I owe you one.

Untitled by adamkoppes, on Flickr

Glad ya like it bro!  Enjoy!

Bodeen said:
Nice looking pods.  Food looks awesome!!!
Thanks Jeff, it was great!

Sanarda said:
Your wife took that pod like a trooper.  She did very well.  Was that her first super hot?  The baby is getting so big and is such a cutey.  I want to pinch his cheeks ahahaaaa  well done
Hey Pia!  Thanks for stoppin in!  The little one takes after his mother.  THANK GOD!

peppernovice said:
   Nice review of the 7 Pot BG. You have a beautiful family. I'm amazed you were able to get your wife to try it. My wife ate a large portion of a 7 Pot Jonah last year and it took me forever to get her to eat another pepper. It's nice when you can share your interest with someone you love. I see your son is already trying to get in on the act. He's a future pepper lover  for sure. It's been awhile since we've had a grow update. I hope you can shot a video soon. It's nice to see how my plants stack up against you pros.

Tim
Thanks Tim!  I wasn't sure that she was gonna do it...but she did!  I knew that we were meant to be together!   I was planning on shooting a video tonight after my pepper review, but the camera died....ill get one up in the next few days.   I will have 2 videos up by tomorrow and a bunch of color shots below to tide ya over!

Devv said:
Enjoyed that video Matt!

Glad the wife shared "pepper time" with you, I can't even get my wife to try weak arsed hot sauce let alone eat a super!
Thanks man, I am hoping it isn't the last time!

Ok, so I have been severely neglecting my time on this thread..... sorry!  I have been busy with the fam, and hangovers.... :rofl:  I shot another video with Shane's pods and uploaded it last night but pulled it down because of audio sync.  I am looking into an HD Camcorder, and hope to narrow it down and grab one soon.  It is a total pain in the ass to detach the audio and break it up into 10 second clips to ALMOST get my words to sync with my mouth.  I would just use my DSLR, but it will only record in 10 minute increments, and if we are outside...forget it.  So tonight I reviewed a Jay's Red Ghost Scorpion, and it was freaking hot!  I am uploading now, and i'll post a link in the morning.  I have to work tomorrow, so I can't wait up all night uploading...

Anyways, I did spend some time in the garden today after I got done doing yardwork....AND WE HAVE COLOR!!

TSMB

ASSAM, There are probably a half dozen pods with color now.

7 Pot Yellow

Fatalii

Douglah!!

Marconi gots a nice red stripe!

And Tonight's feature, the Jay's Red Ghost Scorpion

Thanks for stoppin in!

It's a lot of work living life and trying to keep up on the site and in your glog. You do a very good job of it Matt. Awesome review on the BG7 with the wifey and baby boy! Yeah, she needs a bigger piece!!!! Hahahahahahahahahaaaaa. I'll send you a pod that tastes like cotton candy.......(wink,wink)

Awesome pods broski! Can't wait to se the Jay's review. Keep it Rollin' buddy.

Damn...sorry about the audio sinc. Wondering, how did the heat on that Infinity stack up??? The one I ate last year was freakin brutal! I got the Peach Ghost Scorp starting to pod up now...really like the looks of them things!

Coloring up already, freakin unbelievable! You went from no season to ripe in no time at all! I'm probably almost as stoked as you brotha...

Almost :rofl:

3/5King said:
It's a lot of work living life and trying to keep up on the site and in your glog. You do a very good job of it Matt. Awesome review on the BG7 with the wifey and baby boy! Yeah, she needs a bigger piece!!!! Hahahahahahahahahaaaaa. I'll send you a pod that tastes like cotton candy.......(wink,wink)

Awesome pods broski! Can't wait to se the Jay's review. Keep it Rollin' buddy.

I know exactly how you feel man, really really tough keepin up with all the great growers here!  Next time (if I can swing it) it will be a bigger piece for sure.  6 out of 10....pffff.

stc3248 said:
Damn...sorry about the audio sinc. Wondering, how did the heat on that Infinity stack up??? The one I ate last year was freakin brutal! I got the Peach Ghost Scorp starting to pod up now...really like the looks of them things!

Coloring up already, freakin unbelievable! You went from no season to ripe in no time at all! I'm probably almost as stoked as you brotha...

Almost :rofl:
Honestly, the Infinity is likely a Tier 1 Heat, Tier 3 taste, and I am not sure on the production and vigor, but from what I saw on your plant it is probably 1/2 or 2/2.  For the size of pice I tried, the taste of Capsacin was so strong and my tongue got attacked so badly that it is definitely in the hottest I have tried.  It is no joke.  It felt like I licked an iron.

You are telling me about surprised.  I am super greatful that you guys hooked me up like this, and am completely amazed that I am about to pull my first harvest.  AMAZING!

WalkGood said:
Love da color on the pods, great work with the lightbox, did you start building the new one? I'll have to post a pic of mine soon but I got to run off to work now :/
Thanks Ramon!  I haven't started to build another one yet, but will probably wait until next season to do so.  John (Prodigal Son) recommended building one for plant shots (about 36 x36) and I will probably do that.  I am gonna switch out the paper for nylon or tissue paper and that should be sufficient for the light requirement.

Alrighty, here is the Jay's review.  The other video is uploading now and will be up in a bit.  It has me tasting a couple of shane's pod, including the Infinity. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=p6k9BRKCnUA

Here's the other one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=M1LqHVex1as

Dude...I dunno??? I just clicked share then copy and pasted the code to here???

Haha, "Jess, the camera is pointing down!"  :rofl: Between that and you trying to shake off and ignore the burn from the Infinity I was rolling! "Whoooo-Ahhhhhh...Ok enough of that what you wanna do is...Whoooooo-AHHHHHH...ok, ok, ok so...Whooooooo-Ahhhhhhh" Hahahahaha, LMAO! Great stuff! The GS looked painful too, Wow, you're a glutton for punishment. Those camera woes suck. Wonder what's causing the mismatch??? 

Back