• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Operation Golden Garden 2014: Let's Get Started!

**Instead of starting an entirely new GLOG, I decided to tack 2014 on to the end of this one. So if you have already went through 2013's grow, just jump ahead to page 40.**

Before you go on, I would recommend you grab a beer or something else stiff to drink.  If you didnt follow my grow last time around, I have the tendency to go on, and on, and on, and on.  Also, I may not be the most "PC" out of the group, so if you are looking for clean language, on topic discussion, and general 'niceness', I am sure that I can point you in the right direction.

Ok, now that we got that out of the way....I AM STARTING A FREAKIN GROW LOG!  A quick bit of back story. Since I spent more time in high school partying than studying, I didn't have much of a choice following graduation. I decided to enlist in the Marines (there really isnt another choice) and now here I am 8 years and 5 deployments later.  This last go around I left the first few days of September and just got back yesterday (9 months for all the other 'non studying' folk).  As most of you know, if you want some bangin pepper plants, you need to start early, and May 25th aint early.  So right before I left I cut everything back and prayed to the pepper gods that my plants would make it through winter so I could have something to come home to.  Up until yesterday I thought that they were just taking time to put on some green, but when I walked through the fence to see my dogs, a ritual that I typically do after every deployment, I realized that the plants were not there and instead was four trays of new plants just waiting for planting.

Note:  IPhones are not the world's leading video recording devices.  And as a result, I may not be easily heard.  Dont worry, I didn't have much to say initially anyways, I was just a bit more surprised than anything.

For someone who seems to always talk a bit too much, I didnt have much to say initially.  I was freaking out inside and didnt know if my wife got them or what.  When she told me that the guys from THP did it, i was blown away.  You gotta understand, over the past 9 months Bill (RocketMan) organized a "Operation Hot Sauce" care package rotation for me and my guys.  A bunch of members here chipped in and sent packages of sauces, powders, peppers, and other treats to help make this deployment a bit more enjoyable.  To hear that they ALSO chipped in and GAVE ME A GROWING SEASON pretty much put me over the edge.  I know that I already messaged you guys but I wanna thank RocketMan, Coheed196, Romy6, KingDenniz, Silver_Surfer, STC3248, DesertChris, Sanarda, MuskyMojo, Pulpeteer, WalkGood, DocNRock. Stickman, Annie57, Pic 1, Pr0digal_Son, Jamison, Spicy Chicken, HighHalt, Fremp, SethSquach, 3/5 King, Patrick, Bigoldude again for helping make this happen for me.  And although giving me a garden was WAY MORE THAN ENOUGH, they also gave me a little sumpin sumpin that will help out picking up the last minute things that I need to make sure I have everything I need for the season!

So this morning, I got up early because I am still on Afghanistan time, cooked breakfast, and then after the family ate we went out to the garden to plant everything. 

The Peppers:
7 Pot
7 Pot Douglah
7 Pot Yellow
Aji Colorado
Bhut Jolokia
Bhut Jolokia Assam
Bhut Jolokia Yellow
Bonda ma Jaques
Cobra
Congo Trinidad
Fatalii
Jamaican Hot Chocolate
Lemon Drop
Marconi Giant Hybrid
TSMB 
TSMB Yellow
Naga Morich
Safi Red
Trinidad Scorpion
West Indian Red

Maters:
Black Krim
Black Pear

Oh, and did I tell you that THERE ARE 3 EACH?!?

Gettin to work tilling the rows a bit

The wife givin me a hand

The kiddo givin me a hand

Rows Complete

And Peppers in the ground!

Some goodies from Bill, Jeff and Bonnie (Bill also has goodies in the fridge :cheers:)

Parting Shot

That gas chamber is "no bueno"! It sucks when you're healthy. I hope you're closer to 100% by then. At least you know you're sinuses will be clean afterwards. Glad you like the pods. I hope they live up to your standards.

Tim

Great reviews and some quality pics to go along with it. I really like how the dougies are all different gnarly shapes. Glad to see you are continually harvesting.

I'm pretty sure that marconi is a related to an elephant!

Hope you feel better

That barrackpore review was just tough to watch.  I kind of hurt just watching you.  Wow.

Well done though - you held it together even through panic mode, very well.  When it hurts so bad you can't even talk... 

WalkGood said:
Super cool looking clouds, pods & review … keep it picante mon ^_^
Thanks Ramon!  It is definitely still pretty hot ova here! No winter in sight!

peppernovice said:
  That gas chamber is "no bueno"! It sucks when you're healthy. I hope you're closer to 100% by then. At least you know you're sinuses will be clean afterwards. Glad you like the pods. I hope they live up to your standards.

Tim
It really isn't that bad anymore.  Boot Camp is a straight haze fest, but now it is a breeze.  We are in MOPP gear, so our cammies don't even get covered.  Also, we only have to break the seal and not take our mask off, so it is really easy.  It still burns a bit and takes half a day, but its no where near as bad as it was in the early 2000's.  Those pods were definitely gnarly, that Jonah was no freakin joke man!

Capsicum Select said:
Great reviews and some quality pics to go along with it. I really like how the dougies are all different gnarly shapes. Glad to see you are continually harvesting.

I'm pretty sure that marconi is a related to an elephant!

Hope you feel better
I really love those douglahs, crazy shapes but consistent OH MY GOD heat.  Real nasty. 

Yea, that Marconi is HUGE!  Not all of them are that big, that was just one freak of a pod. 

adamk2212 said:
Harvest and pods look awesome Matt! That Giant Marconi especially was huge!!!
Thanks Adam, these pods just keep comin!

breaknecks2k said:
Excellent glog! Very thorough and entertaining. You have a great garden there! 

Keep it up. 
Thanks for stoppin in! 

Pulpiteer said:
That barrackpore review was just tough to watch.  I kind of hurt just watching you.  Wow.

Well done though - you held it together even through panic mode, very well.  When it hurts so bad you can't even talk... 
Man Andy, it was tough to do!  It really hit me hard.  My tolerance is still all jacked up, and being sick for the past couple weeks isnt helpful. 

Devv said:
Hey Matt!

Hope the week wasn't too bad, gas chamber and all!

Have a great weekend!
The week hasn't been too bad, still got a paper to write in the morning.  Its ok though, I am just gonna meet the minimum requirements, my professor is a douche.  I am so close to my degree that even a C won't drop my GPA. 

Well folks, I am still alive and kicken!  I really underestimated the amount of work this new assignment would be.  By the time I get off each night I have a few hours to spend with the family before I have to go to bed and wake up and do it all over!  But I still try and stop in as much as possible, but it still aint as much. 

I got a couple pkgs this week, one from a buddy from YT, he sent me a few pods and some Korean BBQ sauce cuz I am definitely cravin some Korean BBQ.  I also got a badass pkg from Steven (standbyandfire) full of crazy crosses. 

First up though are Tim (Peppernovice)'s Pods

Yellow Manzano.  I have never tried a Manzano until now.  I am really kicking myself because of that, because they are packed with flavor and got a nice kick to them. They are definitely gonna be on my grow list for next year, just need to get me some reds to add to the list! And c'mon, black seeds are the COOLEST!

Next up was the TSMB.  This one is obviously a cross, so right now it is a Unknown Trinidad Morguga Cross.  It definitely packed some heat and had a cross flavor.  Not terribly capsacin forward that most TSMB pods have, but a mix of that and some citrusy flavor.  Nice burn. 

Lastly, the Jonah, Original Strain was definitely the hottest thing in that pkg.  It had a jonah taste to it, but packed enough punch to take even the most experienced chilihead down a notch.  Eat at your own risk.  It will definitely be the Jonah strain I grow next season.  NASTY HOT!

And here is Steven's pkg.  There is a BIGGER Brown Moruga (not gonna freakin happen), some of Grant's (Junglerain) crosses, a TS Moruga X BT, Brain X Assam, one of his own crosses, a Naga X Tabasco (really cool small ones), some BBG f3s from the original source, and a few other interesting pods.  Oh, and that crazy peach one is a Pimenta de Neyde x Bhut that turned peach. COOL!

And lastly, today I finally found the gun I was lookin for!  I have been trying to get my hands on a Glock 23 Gen 4 on the Blue Label Program (Mil/LEO discount program).  Today I finally found it!

Nice pods! Glad to see the pepper love just keeps on a goin'!

Love the Glock! That's a "baby Glock" yes? I have a 22 ( I like the 15rd. clip), my house weapon, and want a 26, mainly cuz the ammo's cheaper. Accurate and indestructible weapon! They shoot sweet too!

Have a great weekend!

Everything about that Manzano says grow me.  Cool black seeds and a juicy thick looking flesh.  Only way I could ever grow them here would be to OW.

Nice pistol.  I stopped after pistol 10 lol.  Ruger 454.  What I like is it will also shoot 45 LC

Jeff H said:
Nice glock. You need a new long gun to go with that new pistol. I saw this video a couple of days ago and have been trying to find a reason why it is a good idea to buy one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkTwE0fZYXY
LOL!  Love it.  I have a nice 5.56, but I am still keepin my eyes open for a nice SCAR Heavy to hit the gunshops at a decent price.  The wife would kill me....

GnomeGrown said:
Black Seeds? :eek:
Wow!!!

Thanks again for the care package you sent my way.
I appreciate it.

:cheers:
Yea, I dont know if it is all pubes or just a few, but they are jet black. I got a few turbo pube seeds and those were black as well.  Pretty badass.  I am glad you like the pods, I am sure they were plenty hot.

Devv said:
Nice pods! Glad to see the pepper love just keeps on a goin'!

Love the Glock! That's a "baby Glock" yes? I have a 22 ( I like the 15rd. clip), my house weapon, and want a 26, mainly cuz the ammo's cheaper. Accurate and indestructible weapon! They shoot sweet too!

Have a great weekend!
Thanks Scott, every time I go out there I find another ton ready to pull.  I am gonna harvest a bunch tomorrow.  I started to separate the pods I keep now so I can mess with them when I get some time.  I cut in half and seed, and freeze by variety.  That will make it easier when I go to use them.

The Baby Glock is a Glock 26.  It is a 9mm super compact.  Mine is the 23, which is a 40 cal compact.  It is still nice and compact so I can carry it if need be, but enough ass behind it to control the recoil.

WalkGood said:
Beautiful pods, pod love and a Glock FTW \o/ Great pod descriptions and warnings, yea mon!
Thanks Ramon! 

Bodeen said:
Everything about that Manzano says grow me.  Cool black seeds and a juicy thick looking flesh.  Only way I could ever grow them here would be to OW.

Nice pistol.  I stopped after pistol 10 lol.  Ruger 454.  What I like is it will also shoot 45 LC
I think my season is long enough here to give it a go.  It may take a bit longer for me to get ripe pods, but it is still definitely worth it.  Stuff a few here an there, and SMOKE AND POWDER THE REST!

IIght folks, I am callin it quits for the reviews for the remainder of the season.  I have hit the wall, and just don't have it in me.  I am too busy, apparently have some mutant allergies, and just feel like I got kicked in the nuts enough over the past 3 months.  I am still eatin hot stuff, just gonna lay off the reviews. I would recommend you check out Bill Moore, Todd (Tmudder), or Brain (Compmudder), they really are good.  Almost as good as me....:)

But I did get a badass package from Steven a few days back and tonight I tried 8 freakin pods! Really destroyed my mouth, different tastes, different burns, different everything!

Naga X Tabasco

AWESOME pod!  These bad boys would go AMAZINGLY in some pepper vinegar.  Nice and small, but still have enough manageable size to split and seed if you want.  It was much easier than trying to get into those smaller pods.  It has a great flavor, more tabasco flavor than naga.  Almost no floralness, which is great.  But it does have a nice POP of flavor. 100% on growing these.

E03GM

This is a developmental cross that Steven is working on, and it was the 2nd hottest pod that I tried tonight.  The benefit is that it has a awesome flavor.  This thing burned me good, really hit the tongue and just WOULDN'T let go!  It was nice and fruity, which made it a bit tough to tell what it was crossed with.  I had to take about 5 minutes to let the heat die down before I tasted another one.

Bhut Jolokia X Pimenta de Neyde (Peach Pheno)

This was the first pod I tried and it had a nice annuum flavor and a little bit of heat.  Nice and warm.  I gotta find out if the plant is purple, because if it is, the peach pods hanging off the plant would look awesome!

Brainstrain X Bhut Assam

Sorry about the visible pedestal, didn't notice it in the photo.  I was expecting for this one to be a bit hotter, but it was still manageable.  It had an alright flavor, if i would have eaten more I am willing to bet that it would have been pretty blah tasting.

TS Moruga X TS Butch T

This badboy lived up to its name. Shitballs this was hot.  It tasted like straight cap, so to be blunt it was terrible.  But it really burned.  I had about 10 minutes of pain before I could taste another pod.  Definitely a winner.  Powder only....lol.

Cornish Naga

Last one was this pod from Paul Tonkin's creation.  Super floral, heavy bhut/naga flavor.  If you aren't into it, you would hate this.  It did have some great heat to it, so that is a plus.  Also, these pods were pretty large.  My nagas tend to be on the small size, so this is probably gonna replace my regular nagas. 

Thats about it for now.  I am gonna check out a few GLogs before i hit the sack.  I spent a good 5 hours today writing about the Chinese Hacker group code named Titan Rain and the implications it had on the US Counterintelligence community.  I....wanted.....to......swallow.......dran-o.........So now it is some Jameson and THP, makes everything better!

MGOLD86 said:
I will be back to respond later, I have like a half million things to do around the house.  But in the mean time...enjoy me wanting to die...yet again....

The Bottom line: Imagine a meteor hitting you in the face.  Next slide.

On Heat. This pod destroyed me.  It could have been because I am sick, because I have a sore throat, or because it has been a while since I have had such a hard hitting pod, but whichever it is this pod was nuclear.  Definitely panic mode, really bad mouth and throat burn, and the whole physical paralysis.   

Overall a death pod that makes you question why the hell you are doing this.  A must grow for anyone looking to dance with the devil.
that one seemed to effect you worse than the Brown Morouga(?) That tail is the warning just like you said. I never had one w/ a tail that long. You were sick so that might've weakened your tolerance but dang!, Bravo Zulu on that review ;) a "meteor hitting you in the face" is well put :P

Sad to read you are too busy for videos but to be honest I enjoy the pictures and written review you do as much or better. Great job on these last few and the pictures are great. Hopefully you’ll have time to do a few similar every now and then but I hear you on busy, I’ve been slammed lately myself and believe the rest of the year thru XMas will be the same :/

I have a "Not Red Bhut" that produces pods which look very similar to the E03GM (F1) developmental cross that Steven sent you but I'm sure they're not the same. My gal has a rough texture with little bumps and dents all around her with a very appealing red color. When I pick them early (a little orangish) the color change is beautiful. Although when I cut her open, she produces a fruit/vegetable perfume like sweetness that fills the air, a very pleasant aroma. Her taste on the other hand is similar to some type of berry taste crossed with a ting of strawberry.

Keep up da great work mon and have an awesome day!

10hssw2.jpg

2h2dvgi.jpg

Nice impressions of those pods Matt!

I'm kinda glad your done eating those bad boys, I prefer to taste them, not get murdered by them ;)

And although maybe boring, those hackers are a pain in the rump! They either want bandwidth or data, mainly data to make $$$

Have great week!

Dot Com said:
that one seemed to effect you worse than the Brown Morouga(?) That tail is the warning just like you said. I never had one w/ a tail that long. You were sick so that might've weakened your tolerance but dang!, Bravo Zulu on that review ;) a "meteor hitting you in the face" is well put :P
Ya know, I think it did.  My tolerance has been all over the place this season. I ate some of the hottest pods in the world, took a break, and then got hit harder, then not so hard...then hard again!  It is pretty tiring trying to keep up with it.  What I am doing now is just tasting whenever I seed.  I cut a piece off and try it.  Usually takes a couple mins to go away, but I can get a read on the pod for heat and flavor. 

stickman said:
Hi Matt, It's probably a good thing you're taking a vacation from reviews for the rest of the season. It was a heckuva ride though... ;)
Yea, I know my stomach will be happy.  But I end up trying eight pods in a row anyways! lol.

GnomeGrown said:
No more reviews this year?!?!?  :mope:
Sorry!  Yea, I dont like to eat a pod if I have to be up early and have a morning workout because the last thing I need is to be in the middle of a 5 miler and have to go....like....NOW.... :lol: And now I am gonna be having morning workouts all week.  Add to that I just haven't felt right since the Monster Infinity (thanks Shane....), and every pod has really hit me worse than it should.  So, I think I did about 10 or 15 reviews this season, gonna have to stick with me for next year to see me get behind the lens again! lol. Think QUALITY not QUANTITY... :ROFL:

WalkGood said:
Sad to read you are too busy for videos but to be honest I enjoy the pictures and written review you do as much or better. Great job on these last few and the pictures are great. Hopefully you’ll have time to do a few similar every now and then but I hear you on busy, I’ve been slammed lately myself and believe the rest of the year thru XMas will be the same :/

I have a "Not Red Bhut" that produces pods which look very similar to the E03GM (F1) developmental cross that Steven sent you but I'm sure they're not the same. My gal has a rough texture with little bumps and dents all around her with a very appealing red color. When I pick them early (a little orangish) the color change is beautiful. Although when I cut her open, she produces a fruit/vegetable perfume like sweetness that fills the air, a very pleasant aroma. Her taste on the other hand is similar to some type of berry taste crossed with a ting of strawberry.

Keep up da great work mon and have an awesome day!
Thanks Ramon!  Yea, yours has a much nicer "deep" red color.  It almost looks like a candy apple!  The E03GM has almost a dull color to it, a bit weathered. It is really hot though, and it has a nice flavor! I like to pick my Assams when they are orange-ish, and let them ripen on the counter.  It helps for the next round of ripe pods on the plant, as well as looks really cool changing on the counter!

Devv said:
Nice impressions of those pods Matt!

I'm kinda glad your done eating those bad boys, I prefer to taste them, not get murdered by them ;)

And although maybe boring, those hackers are a pain in the rump! They either want bandwidth or data, mainly data to make $$$

Have great week!
Yea, I have fun tasting them and getting a read, but what I really love to do is collect them.  I love searching out the craziest varieties and then growing them and sharing with everyone.  I have to have almost 50 crosses now, and I am gonna try VERY hard to grow every one out next season.  I am gonna still grow out a ton of normal varieties, but I look at each cross like an adventure!

Yea, the class material can sometimes be boring, but my professor is a real douche nozzle...so that doesn't make me want to put out.  I am 9 credits away from a BA (once I finish these 2 classes I am currently taking), and 6 of those credits are English classes I have put off for the past 4 years.... I am going to American Military University, which I will be the first to tell you is one of those online schools that you just pay your tuition and turn in your work for an A.  Its ok, with my schedule it would be impossible to attend a university.  But this professor is the 2nd one (I dropped the first because I caught it in time) who thinks he is teaching at Georgetown or MIT.  I get it, he wants us to turn in 400 level work, but when EVERY other class that we attend follows the same grading and assignment guidelines it is a bit late in the game to change it up.  It is ok, I only have 2 more weeks until it is over and I turned in my longest assignment yesterday.  I actually picked a topic that was alright, Titan Rain, the Chinese hacker group in 2003-2005 who were extremely successful in hacking US government systems and got a bunch of sensitive data.  I am planning to go to graduate school in the 2015/16 school year and study Cyber War and Information Operations, so this topic kept my attention.

Shit, sorry...a bit long winded....so here is today's harvest!

This was the biggest one yet, definitely a couple hundred pods.  I also got a decent pull on the TSMB and TSMB Yellows.  About 4 or 5 of the reds were eaten by bugs, but other than that I got a half dozen or so.  I also got Bondas for the first time all season!

And here is the interior shot from that TSMB X BT I tried last night.

Thanks for stoppin in!

Back