• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Orange Habanero Paste - First Effort

AlabamaJack

Extreme Member
I decided to make paste out of my last Orange Habanero harvest. I used BillyBoys recipe for paste with a few mods.

400 grams pepper (110 Orange Habanero Peppers)
120 ml (8 Tbsp) Apple Cider Vinegar
120 ml (8 Tbsp) Lime Juice
60 ml (4 Tbsp) Agave Nectar
4 Pinches of Salt

here are 4 photos

First off...the wife has banned me from making anything out of peppers inside the house except Pico Di Gallo so I had to set up an area in my storage building/work shop.

First picture is of all the ingredients and "tools"

090308a008.jpg

second pic is the first batch in the Magic Bullet before blending

090308a009.jpg

third is of the paste in a sauce pan on the hotplate in my workshop...

090308a010.jpg

fourth shot is finished product...I got four 8 ounce (240 ml) jars...

090308a011.jpg

the pH of the paste is 4.1, and they were processed in a pressure cooker for 10 minutes...they have now cooled down and all the jars sealed themselves just like they were supposed to...

Now the wait begins until I break one open and try the finished product...I tasted a bit after it cooked and it is kinda fiery...

thanks Potawie...agave nectar is very sweet and I used this instead of using sugar...I found it at Central Market a couple of weeks ago and the guy gave me a taste....it is scrumptious...here is a link...

http://www.madhavahoney.com/agave.htm

Mmmm...agave necture. One of the breweries out there makes an Agave Wheat and it's absolutely tasty! I love agave necture.

agave nectar is awesome. i tried it in coffee and tea a bunch of times. i considered it for a sweetener for hot sauce, but i'm opting to use stevia instead. agave has a distinct taste, though a good taste. it comes in a few varieties. it's made from the stuff they make tequila from.

the paste looks amazingly good.

AJ...what a great idea. How thick did it come out to compared to say..tomato paste? Looks like it would make a great schmear on a sandwich. Hope noone mistakes it for peach jam.

Cheers, TB.

Not near as thick as canned tomato paste...about as thick as a heavy salsa, maybe a little thicker...

Looks great AJ. I tried my hand at the same thing last weekend. Funny you mentioned the kitchen ban, I am now also banned from cooking habs in the house. They had to leave coughing and sniffling. I made a about 1/4 of what you made. I only had about 35 habs. It was nearly the same recipe, except, instead of the Agave Nectar (which I would love to try), I used turbinado sugar. I also added a couple of extra spices in small amounts. Turned out very good and VERY hot. Did you break yours open yet?

Those look yummy. I use and really like the size of those canning jars, I use them myself. I broke open one of mine I did over a month ago and mixed in another spash of white distilled vinegar and made two woozies today. Perfect size to store and open when needed. I am suprised at the color of other people sauces. Mine were always orange in color until lately my sauces are a deep red that I like. Glad to see you enjoy making some sauce with your peppers now AJ.

JayT said:
Did you break yours open yet?

Thanks JT...giggling so hard I am about to pee on myself....hell man, I just finished putting them up about 5 hours ago...they have barely had time to cool off...I suppose I will break one open when it has aged for 6 hours....roflmao.... :lol:

wonder how many others are banned from the kitchen....

Thanks PRF...I like the size too...you are right...one of these jars will make 2 coozies if you add 2 ounces of "flavoring"..

Kinda fiery???? I'm sure this stuff is hot as hell! I mean 100+ habs in just 4 jars!!!

Looks good, AJ! I like the little kitchen you came up with after getting banned!

Back