• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

water Ordered a water pump today

An ActiveAqua 1000 GPH. At 1' head, it delivers a bit over 800 GPH, but that should be enough for watering 42 sq. ft.

Mike

I don't understand. A pump pumps water. What distinguishes a hydro pump from the rest? Submersible? Size?

I fail to see why a non-submersible pump system wouldn't work.

Please explain. :)

SS,

No one said a non-submersible wouldn't work! But IMO, a submersible is easier to work with as it can go in the reservoir and does not need an intake pipe. Some pumps can be used in hydro but require red-neck engineering to make fittings to work, especially if they are made for a water fountain and plastic tubing rather than threaded PVC pipe.

Mike

Is there a guideline for GPH per square foot of growing area? It will be sort of an aeroponics system.

Mike

Your only requirement for hydro is to wet the roots and let them dry. Aeroaponics will require enough pressure and volume to bust the water into tiny droplets

I don't understand. A pump pumps water. What distinguishes a hydro pump from the rest? Submersible? Size?

I fail to see why a non-submersible pump system wouldn't work.

Please explain. :)
A lot of submersible pumps contain oil and are not "food" safe. Fish are very susceptible to chemicals, so pond pumps are a little less risky when used in hydro and they're either magnetic or direct drive

Oh, plumbing = redneck engineering? :)

My, bad. After looking at the pump I linked it is submersible after all and has a standard NPT discharge of 1.5 inches with step down adapters included to drop it to 1 1/4" or 1" on the discharge. It just looked like a powerful pump for the dough. :)

And it's Magnetic Drive. ;)

Your only requirement for hydro is to wet the roots and let them dry. Aeroaponics will require enough pressure and volume to bust the water into tiny droplets

A lot of submersible pumps contain oil and are not "food" safe. Fish are very susceptible to chemicals, so pond pumps are a little less risky when used in hydro and they're either magnetic or direct drive

To point out the obvious, yes, the roots need be wet and the pump needs to be large enough, as you say, to bust the water into tiny droplets. But I doubt a 15 GPH pump will wet the roots in a 64 square foot growing area, at least not in an aeroponics system unless the pipe is fitting up next to the net pots. That's why I asked if there is a rule of thumb about how many gallons per hour is needed per square foot. :lol:

Mike

Because I asked, what I thought was a simple question, and your response was all that is necessary it to keep the roots wet. :crazy:

What size pump is necessary to keep roots in a 64 square foot area wet?

Mike

I think your answer would depend on the number and requirement/specs/spray pattern of the misters/nozzles used. Trying to determine the GPH required per square foot is tackling the problem from the wrong end. :)

Well, I should have about 39 plants, three rows of 13 each spaced one foot between rows. To start, I plan to drill 3/64" holes in 1/4" PVC pipe. The pipes will be about 6.5' long for a total of ~39 feet. I can always make the holes larger but making them smaller after they are drilled is a PITA!

Mike

This is a hydro system, right? Not in ground.

For hydro you'll surely want to install spray/misting nozzles, not just simple pipe holes.

SS,

Do I? I really don't know! I tried using misters but even with a 580 GPH pump, I didn't get enough pressure to run 12 misters. I removed them and just let the water shoot up to the roots. It's working, maybe not as good as it could, but not bad.

I've worn the letters off my keyboard trying to Google for the info. The closest I came was 5 GPH per mister, which means my 580 should have worked a treat for a dozen misters.

I'm willing to give just about anything a try, even patio misters if I thought they would work!

Mike

Zander,

I tried something similar but they were only 30ยข each instead of 70! Not much I can change about the pump - it has a 1/2" PVC outlet but I'm wondering if I split the water into 1/4" pipes if that will increase the pressure significantly.

Mike

Dang, I didn't know you tried sprinklers already. I've been able to get mini sprinklers to work just fine on cheap pumps but I almost always have a bypass to keep the pressure from building up and to mix things up in the tank. Have you tried testing it w/ a garden hose?

Back