• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

P.Dreadie 2013

This a bit early for me to start a log , not much to say or show. But the weather is less than I'd like to see. I know I'm a whiner ... somewhere a pepperhead is looking at feet of snow and not just a few inches like me ... But I'm dreaming about better times .. pods pon de plants .. herbs for da pot ... tomatoes & greens for a salad.

Here's a few shot of things that have sprouted. A mixed batch of things. There should be more soon. This time I tried something a little different . I used those small 3oz bathroom solo cups to start my seeds in. The idea was to save space and soil as they germinated. Some always fail. I've always used 8 oz stryo cups but these look fine for where they are. Soon I'll up sizing they cups.

You may notice that even tho I used tiny cups to start with I didn't make them full of soil. I've always liked to be able to add a little soil more soil as they got leggy at first. Then transplant them.

So this where I'm at now ...watching seedlings grow .. waiting for spring when my plants are larger and what plants I've ordered to show up.

Peace,
P.Dreadie

Photos of mixed peppers starts ..Nothing fancy & there's still many more.

DSCF3279.jpg

Mi lovely morning ! :rolleyes:

DSCF3273.jpg

Peace .....

Steve to hopefully explain what seeds you got from me. Yes for the most part the "Yellow Scotch Bonnet " was from CCN. The difference is those seeds were taking from plants that I first got from CCN. I had picked a few best pods from the best plant. Each year ( but not that many ) I would do that to see/dream if I was making an effect ... The seeds you got were off a plant I had used seeds from 2nd year plants .

I think to truly call the seeds "CCN Yellow Scotch Bonnet " I think your seeds should come off one of their plants , live & direct . I also really like those folks and wouldn't want to harm their sell's . And I decided I shouldn't put the CCN in there. I don't want to mislead people into thinking my free seeds are equal . Could be or not be.

The "Select " strain came to me from an old friend from this group. Tony aka Scoville . He sent me seeds and I grew a few plants ( 6 ) the 1st year. Freaked out as soon as saw I what the pods were going to look like. Pimply , Tam shaped , with a Stinger . Right off I knew I wanted to save the seeds from a few nice pods. What I start on these each year is from seed off plants I grew. I still have some original seeds ... just in case I jack things up.

Hope that was some help

Peace,
P.Dreadie

Steve to hopefully explain what seeds you got from me. Yes for the most part the "Yellow Scotch Bonnet " was from CCN. The difference is those seeds were taking from plants that I first got from CCN. I had picked a few best pods from the best plant. Each year ( but not that many ) I would do that to see/dream if I was making an effect ... The seeds you got were off a plant I had used seeds from 2nd year plants .

I think to truly call the seeds "CCN Yellow Scotch Bonnet " I think your seeds should come off one of their plants , live & direct . I also really like those folks and wouldn't want to harm their sell's . And I decided I shouldn't put the CCN in there. I don't want to mislead people into thinking my free seeds are equal . Could be or not be.

The "Select " strain came to me from an old friend from this group. Tony aka Scoville . He sent me seeds and I grew a few plants ( 6 ) the 1st year. Freaked out as soon as saw I what the pods were going to look like. Pimply , Tam shaped , with a Stinger . Right off I knew I wanted to save the seeds from a few nice pods. What I start on these each year is from seed off plants I grew. I still have some original seeds ... just in case I jack things up.

Hope that was some help

Peace,
P.Dreadie

Thanks Erin,

I believe that to call them "Yellow Scotch Bonnet-CCN (P.Dreadie)" is perfectly fine. CCN is where this strain "originated" and you are the grower. Future growers might like to label as such, I know I would.

Otherwise, bonnetheads like myself would have 5-10 different SB strains simply labeled "Scotch Bonnet Yellow or Red". As you know, different strains of SB will have different shapes/colors/heat

and labels of "origin" and grower will give us a better selection and variety SB.

Not a lot to show or talk about. Everything is still small but coming along .

I have found out I don't care for the tiny cups I used to start seeds in . Have to water move than I expected and when taking the plant out of those to transplant they don't seem to easily give up the plant.

As always I planted a few more seeds than I am going to use. Just in case a seed didn't jump start and it allows to cull a few and just what looks best. I should be transplanting more in a few days.

Peace,
P.Dreadie

DSCF3386.jpg

DSCF3382.jpg

It's about week later than my last photos.Not a lot of change , but things are moving forward ... tho slowly . But then I shouldn't be in a big rush. My plan is to put out my peppers the 3rd or 4th week of April depending on the weather. This part of Texas can still get very cold temperatures at that time. Then thru May we may get hail storms , heavy cold rains , and no doubt we'll get wicked wind !! Some of you folks may have a flag or something up to see what direction or how hard the wind is blowing ... here we use some heavy chain.

I don't want to have huge plants by then. I can change things in the Man Cave to make room and such if I need to . I've done it before , just don't want to if I keep from it. I will be putting them under my T-5 set-up shortly.

I've transplanted a few more from those dinky cups I started them in , into 8oz styro cups. So far everything looks and seems as if all is well. I've been watering/feeding using 1/4 strength solution every time . I think that's fine with those dinky cups. They can dry out inna' day as the plant gets a little larger , so I don't want to push them.

Peace,
P.Dreadie

DSCF3387.jpg

DSCF3394.jpg

DSCF3458.jpg
Here's a shot of the MoA's. They're moving along good. I'm well pleased. I moved these into the light for this picture ... everyone else is still sleeping .

I'm now working my butt off playing catch up. I've had some session work and silversmithing orders that have kept me outta' the backyard. So I've been cleaning up and doing things I should have taking care of earlier. Thinking about adding a few more raised beds. This time using wood instead of concrete . Easier and cheaper for now. I'll post pictures as I go along .

Been a while ... all is going well . Been spending a lot of time getting things ready out back. Then in mi part of Tejas it's crazy as always this time of year. Freezing temps at the first of the week ....in the low to high 80's until Monday they say. Never know what to think ! I still need to transplant me starts and what I get from CCN into 1 gal pots when they get here. If the weather stays nice I may harden off the plants and just stick the 1 gal pots into my raised beds so the wind doesn't blow them over and then transplant when the 1 gal plants have lots of roots. Still a guessing game at this time.

One thing I've noticed is that my Blk (black ) Thai peppers , which are in 8 oz cups are producing flowers which is normal . But most have white flowers which means the pods will be Red not Black. Only one has purple on the flowers and it's not a solid purple. I don't know the proper term ... but it's more like an African Violet with purple on the outer edges only.

Solid White bloom

DSCF3498.jpg

Purple on edges ... not a great photo

DSCF3496.jpg

In the years past they looked more purple ... an old photo

TBpurple.jpg

Peace & all have a great weekend

Back